Donald Trump will have a hard time proving ‘The Apprentice’ defames him, claims entertainment lawyer

Even if Trump managed to prove ‘The Apprentice’ defamed him, he will have to show how it affected his brand
Sebastian Stan seen as Donald Trump in ‘The Apprentice’ (Getty Images and IMDb)
Sebastian Stan seen as Donald Trump in ‘The Apprentice’ (Getty Images and IMDb)

WASHINGTON, DC: An entertainment lawyer has claimed that even though Donald Trump and his team have taken action against ‘The Apprentice’ and called it a "libelous farce", it’s not easy to prove it.

Trump’s biopic reportedly premiered at the Cannes Film Festival last week and it received a standing ovation from the attendees.

A scene from the movie ‘The Apprentice’ (IMDb)
A scene from the movie ‘The Apprentice’ (IMDb)

Trump’s team calls ‘The Apprentice’ film ‘garbage’

However, the ex-president’s team sent a cease-and-desist order to the creators of the movie so that it wouldn't get released in the US or anywhere else.

Trump campaign’s spokesperson Stephen Cheung said, “This garbage is pure fiction which sensationalizes lies that have been long debunked. This ‘film’ is pure malicious defamation, should not see the light of day, and doesn’t even deserve a place in the straight-to-DVD section of a bargain bin at a soon-to-be-closed discount movie store.”

“It belongs in a dumpster fire,” Cheung added.

Lawyer says Trump cannot easily win against ‘The Apprentice’ makers

However, as per Camron Dowlatshahi, an attorney at Mills Sadat Dowlat LLP, who spoke with Business Insider, the movie cannot be that easily get rid of.

Since the movie reportedly clarifies that it’s “inspired by true events”, a defamation case cannot be filed.

NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE - OCTOBER 22: U.S. President Donald Trump participates in the final presidential debate against Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden at Belmont University on October 22, 2020 in Nashville, Tennessee. This is the last debate between the two candidates before the election on November 3. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Donald Trump has slammed 'The Apprentice' movie (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

Dowlatshahi said, “That's typically enough to give the makers of the show enough wiggle room to use their expression and avoid defamation cases.”

The attorney also noted that even if the 77-year-old Republican managed to prove ‘The Apprentice’ defamed him, he has to show how it affected his brand.

Besides, Dowlatshahi shared how all the buzz around Ali Abbasi's directorial might prove beneficial for the film.

“If they're trying to get sold and companies see that there's potential for litigation, that might give them cold feet. I should note that this looks like a pretty high-quality production, so with all the buzz around it, it might be worth it for a company to take that risk and purchase the film,” he added.

Netizens think Trump cannot do anything against 'The Apprentice'

Meanwhile, there were people online who shared their thoughts as well over the drama.

A reader below a Yahoo article wrote, “Trump often sues without thinking. If he said nothing, few would even know about the movie, and it would die a quick death. It is a fight he cannot win.  But then it is not as if he is paying the lawyers to sue.”

Another reader commented, “If Trump and his cronies are screaming this loud there is probably a lot of truth in the movie. It's a joy to watch when Trump demands something and is told no. The only thing he wants is people genuflecting and saying ‘Yes Sir!’”

“If the movie does well in the US, Trump will of course claim the box office totals are rigged,” the third one shared.

The fourth user stated, “If he did it, he owns it. It’s standard practice for his attorneys to come out in full force when truthful episodes of his past life which are less than flattering are brought to the public’s attention…and there are a lot of them.”

The fifth one added, "’Inspired by true events’...Trump has no chance of stopping this movie other than buying the rights to ownership and distribution and fulfilling any contracts associated with anyone involved in the making of the film.”

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Greene also accused the administration of sidelining US intelligence assessments that found Iran was not actively pursuing a nuclear weapon
1 hour ago
'The deep problem here is that this administration did not plan for this war, did not plan how to get out of this war', Ruben Gallego said
6 hours ago
Jared Kushner was joined by Nickolay Mladenov and Tony Blair, while Hamas leader Khalil al-Hayya attended with Egyptian, Qatari, and Turkish officials
6 hours ago
Kristen Welker asked Todd Blanche if he would follow Trump if asked to cross 'an ethical or legal line', but Blanche said the president never would
7 hours ago
The attorney general addressed concerns over his transition from Trump's personal lawyer to the Justice Department
8 hours ago
James Carville said Democrats should not just celebrate reclaiming seats but pressure Republicans on popular issues and seek broader voter support
9 hours ago
Beshear says the longtime senator still has a responsibility to assure Kentuckians he can carry out his role
10 hours ago
Bill Cassidy said more doses would force parents to take six leaves instead of two and insurers to cover six visits, exhausting premiums
10 hours ago
The attorney general defended the DC prosecutor while acknowledging the president’s frustration over her handling of the case
11 hours ago
Embassy post claims Trump left Leavitt on plane evacuated from Turkey to evade alleged threat in Ankara
12 hours ago