'Fatal error': Trump Ireland ballroom faces fresh legal challenge over helicopters

A report said the planning dispute now centers on the resort's helicopter activity and its impact on the protected species
President Donald Trump speaks at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Washington DC, Friday, July 24, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo)
President Donald Trump speaks at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Washington DC, Friday, July 24, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo)

WASHINGTON, DC: Irish activist Liam Madden has mounted a fresh challenge to President Donald Trump's Ireland ballroom project, arguing helicopter operations at the resort were not disclosed or assessed for their ecological impact, according to a report.

The appeal focuses on the endangered Vertigo angustior snail, which lives in dunes at Trump's Doonbeg resort and has complicated development.

Madden filed the challenge with Friends of the Irish Environment after planners approved the ballroom in February, subject to a snail restoration plan, the Washington Post reported on Thursday, August 20.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 24: Workers build a fence as trucks unload debris and soil from the demolition of the White House's East Wing at East Potomac Golf Course on October 24, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a multimillion-dollar ballroom on the eastern side of the White House. (Photo by Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)
Workers build a fence as trucks unload debris and soil from the demolition of the White House's East Wing at East Potomac Golf Course on October 24, 2025 in Washington, DC.  (Tasos Katopodis/Getty Images)

Madden targets Trump's helicopter operations

The Trump Organization's use of helicopters became the centerpiece of Madden's appeal after promotional materials indicated guests could be ferried in and out by helicopter, the newspaper reported.

An aviation company, Executive Helicopters, said online that it has two "heli landings" at the resort, one near the hotel and another on the golf course. 

Madden argued the Trump Organization had neither disclosed the helicopter operations nor measured their ecological impact, the report said.

To Madden, that omission was a "fatal error." 

He wrote that the ballroom proposal was "tainted at law and beyond remedy."

The appeal was filed alongside Friends of the Irish Environment, which has disrupted the resort's broader build-out, the report said. 

President Donald Trump boards Air Force One en route to Dover Air Force Base on July 22, 2026 at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump boards Air Force One en route to Dover Air Force Base on July 22, 2026 at Joint Base Andrews, Maryland (Getty Images)

Madden previously helped defeat a Trump seawall proposal at the same resort in 2020.

Geraint Ellis, an Irish planning law expert who reviewed the appeal for the Washington Post, said Madden "seems to have found some issues that are worthy of further scrutiny."

Ireland's national appellate board is expected to rule by year's end, according to the newspaper.

Doonbeg residents largely back the project

The ballroom proposal calls for a 12,000-square-foot hall capable of seating 320 guests at the Trump International Golf Links & Hotel in Doonbeg.

The roughly 300 residents of Doonbeg largely support the project, according to the Post, distinguishing the Irish dispute from Trump's separate ballroom fight in Washington.

The endangered snail has nevertheless remained a development issue at the resort. 

In February, planners approved the ballroom while requiring the Trumps to submit a restoration plan for the species.

Madden described himself as a "serial objector" known for derailing developments across Ireland. In July, he said, "If there is a God in heaven, I will win the planning appeals and capitalize on it for notoriety," according to the report.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 08: Architect Shalom Baranes shows a site plan for a new $400 million White House ballroom during a meeting of the National Capital Planning Commission on January 08, 2026 in Washington, DC. The commission met to discuss U.S. President Donald Trump's planned construction of a new ballroom at the White House which began months ago and will replace the recently demolished two-story East Wing. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Architect Shalom Baranes shows a site plan for a new $400 million White House ballroom during a meeting of the National Capital Planning Commission on January 08, 2026 in Washington, DC. (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

His latest appeal therefore centers not on opposition from local residents, but on whether the resort's helicopter operations were properly addressed in the planning process.

Trump's Washington ballroom faces court fight

Trump's Ireland project is unfolding alongside a separate legal battle over his planned White House ballroom in Washington.

The $900 million White House ballroom is already under construction, despite a DC Circuit Court of Appeals ruling this month that called the project "utterly lawless" for bypassing legally required reviews.

On Wednesday, Aug 19, Trump said he "can't imagine" the Supreme Court rejecting the administration's emergency bid to keep construction moving. 

The administration is challenging a lower court ruling that said Congress must authorize the project before work can continue.

Trump also attacked the National Trust for Historic Preservation, which filed the lawsuit challenging the Washington project, and questioned the legal standing of Alison K Hoagland, who argued the ballroom would cause "permanent and irreparable harm" to the White House.

Former U.S. President Donald Trump during a round of golf at his Turnberry course on May 2, 2023 in Turnberry, Scotland.  Former U.S. President Donald Trump is visiting his golf courses in Scotland and Ireland. Back in the United States, he faces legal action on 34 counts of falsifying business records.
President Donald Trump during a round of golf at his Turnberry course on May 2, 2023 in Turnberry, Scotland.(Getty Images)

"The lawsuit, the person had no standing," Trump said, while describing Hoagland as someone who "didn't like the view."

Trump said the project had received "tremendous architectural reviews" and called it "beautiful." The administration has said the ballroom is already about two-thirds complete.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

In Aug, an ICE official added cases at the Iran Embassy's request, and a week later, another changed the deportation list after meeting its director
47 minutes ago
Max D Lederer Jr's departure followed criticism from Pete Hegseth, who accused the newspaper of promoting 'woke distractions'
8 hours ago
Missouri Republicans pushed through a new map under Donald Trump’s pressure, aiming to boost GOP power and target Democratic Rep Emanuel Cleaver
9 hours ago
Sean Duffy’s remarks came after a judge dismissed the Trump administration’s lawsuit against Harvard over alleged antisemitic harassment
10 hours ago
Two sources said Jennifer Hegseth wanted to revoke credentials of reporters she believed had published negative stories about Pete Hegseth
10 hours ago
The debt has since doubled to $40 trillion as the Trump admin faces higher military spending tied to the Iran war and tariff refunds, adding to continued federal borrowing
11 hours ago
Mitch McConnell, 84, has been absent since his June 14 hospitalization and was discharged from rehab on August 6 to recover at home
12 hours ago
Natalie Harp delayed her SF-86 security-clearance paperwork despite extensions until Donald Trump personally intervened, prompting its submission
13 hours ago
President Trump said America's energy surge weakened Hormuz's leverage as a covert US operation reportedly kept millions of barrels moving
18 hours ago
Fed officials say stubborn inflation may force the central bank to raise rates, putting renewed pressure on borrowers and the economy
19 hours ago