Rubio hits ICC with new sanctions as Trump administration steps up campaign to dismantle court
WASHINGTON, DC: Amid the campaign to dismantle the International Criminal Court, the Secretary of State Marco Rubio has banned the two ICC officials with new sanctions on Tuesday, August 18.
Rubio, in a statement, announced that he is imposing restrictions on ICC President Tomoko Akane, who is Japanese, and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, who is Senegalese.
“These individuals have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction,” he said.
Rubio said that he expects “more countries to join our campaign by ending their funding and participation in this politicized and unaccountable court.”
“The ICC’s ability to target American nationals and those of other non-States Parties must end,” he said, referencing countries that are not members of the court. “The Trump Administration stands ready to take additional measures, if necessary, to systematically dismantle the ICC until it is incapable of threatening American sovereignty.”
US is intensifying pressure on ICC after Netanyahu arrest
Last month, Rubio announced a major escalation in the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led, “whole-of-government campaign” to dismantle the court.
In November 2024, the court issued arrest warrants for several officials, including Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
The court said it found “reasonable grounds” to prove that Netanyahu has committed war crimes in Gaza, including “starvation as a method of warfare” and “the crimes against humanity of murder, persecution, and other inhumane acts.”
The Trump administration has imposed a slew of sanctions against ICC officials for their attempts to investigate the United States and Israel.
Notably, neither Israel nor the US is a participant country of the ICC.
US calls on allies to join pressure campaign against ICC
The US has reportedly asked other countries to join the pressure campaign against the ICC.
The US-backed interim government in Venezuela announced in late July it will pull out of the ICC.
A US official said last month that countries “that partner with US law enforcement, host a US military presence, or benefit from the broader US security umbrella are being called upon to reject the ICC’s purported authority to prosecute American officials and servicemen.”
“We will watch with interest which nations join ranks with us against this threat to Americans who are willing to risk their lives to protect others,” they noted.