Fact Check: Did the International Criminal Court list Donald Trump as an international war criminal?

Viral posts claimed the International Criminal Court had declared Donald Trump an international war criminal, fueling widespread debate online
Social media posts claimed the International Criminal Court had listed Donald Trump as an international war criminal (AP Photo)
Social media posts claimed the International Criminal Court had listed Donald Trump as an international war criminal (AP Photo)

WASHINGTON, DC: Amid global criticism of President Donald Trump over the ongoing conflict involving Iran, a rumor began circulating on social media claiming that the International Criminal Court (ICC) had listed him as an international war criminal. The allegation quickly gained traction online, prompting speculation and calls for verification.

The viral claim surfaced across social media platforms and generated widespread discussion, with many users questioning whether the ICC had taken legal action against the US president.

Claim: Viral post says ICC listed Donald Trump as an international war criminal

(@QTHESTORMM/X)
The viral claim drew tens of thousands of views and prompted widespread reactions online (@QTHESTORMM/X)

According to a post shared on X, Trump had been designated a genocidal war criminal wanted by the International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands.

The claim accumulated tens of thousands of views at the time of writing and sparked criticism of the president. While many users appeared to believe the allegation, others questioned its authenticity and called for a fact check.

Fact check: No evidence shows the ICC listed Donald Trump as a war criminal

The claim is false. There is no credible evidence that the International Criminal Court has listed Trump as an international war criminal or issued any action against him related to the conflict in the Middle East.

President Donald Trump speaks with reporters in flight on Air Force One after landing at U.S. Air Force Base at RAF Mildenhall, in Suffolk Eastern England, Wednesday, July 8, 2026. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
President Donald Trump spoke with reporters aboard Air Force One after arriving at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk, England, on July 8, 2026 (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

If such a move had occurred, it would have been widely reported by major news organizations around the world. However, searches of credible news sources and publicly available information produced no reports supporting the claim.

The viral X post also failed to provide any supporting evidence or link to an official ICC announcement. Likewise, there are no statements or notices from the International Criminal Court indicating that Trump has been designated a war criminal or is wanted by the court.

According to a fact check by Grok, "The claim that Donald Trump is a listed genocidal war criminal wanted by the ICC is false. No such ICC action exists; the Trump administration has instead sanctioned the court since 2025. The post spreads unverified sensationalism.”

Trump administration renews criticism of the International Criminal Court

Trump reiterated his claim to have ended eight wars, including one in which 15 million people were supposedly decapitated (AP Photo)
Donald Trump reiterated his claim that he had ended eight wars, including one he said involved 15 million people being decapitated (AP Photo)

The rumor emerged as the Trump administration renewed its criticism of the ICC, reiterating that any attempt by the court to assert jurisdiction over US citizens would be viewed as "a direct affront" to US sovereignty.

The position was outlined in a letter sent to ICC President Tomoko Akane. Although the letter did not introduce any new policy, it marked the administration's latest criticism of the international tribunal.

"The ICC has acted in an increasingly lawless and illegitimate manner," Acting US Attorney General Todd Blanche wrote in the letter, which was made public on Thursday, July 9.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

According to MS NOW, several White House officials raised concerns about Harp’s lack of clearance
14 hours ago
Several reports claimed that the couple had already gone their separate ways long before
15 hours ago
The ongoing conflict between Iran, the US and Israel began on February 28 with strikes that killed Ali Khamenei and several senior Iranian officials
16 hours ago
Gary Sinise is known for his honor and support of the nation’s veterans and their families
17 hours ago
Some posts joked that Natalie Harp was on the “hot seat” or facing pushback from Melania Trump
18 hours ago
The claim surfaced after Trump said that he plans to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un
19 hours ago
The letters have since drawn further attention to their relationship and Harp’s close role in Trump’s inner circle
19 hours ago
The post further claims that they have 30 days to submit a repayment plan to the 14th District Court
20 hours ago
Some online posts claimed that the Trump administration was rounding up thousands of wild horses and selling them to buyers who later sent the animals to slaughterhouses overseas
21 hours ago
Shirley also drew scrutiny for not providing credible evidence to substantiate his claims
21 hours ago