FBI chief says security under scrutiny after White House dinner shooting scare

Patel signals sweeping event security review as Congress seeks Secret Service briefing
FBI Director Kash Patel speaks at an event in Nashville, Tenn, April 8, 2026 (AP Photo/John Amis)
FBI Director Kash Patel speaks at an event in Nashville, Tenn, April 8, 2026 (AP Photo/John Amis)

WASHINGTON, DC: FBI Director Kash Patel said authorities will conduct a comprehensive review of security arrangements following the shooting scare at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, stressing that lessons from the incident will shape future planning.

Speaking on Fox and Friends, Patel said the FBI would work closely with the Department of Homeland Security and the US Secret Service to assess lapses and strengthen protections at high-profile gatherings.

“This was a matter that needs to be heavily scrutinized, because it almost took the lives of dozens, if not hundreds of people … but for the quick reaction of our law enforcement,” he said.

Members of law enforcement respond during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)
Members of law enforcement respond during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

Focus on strengthening security nationwide

Patel underscored that the review would not be limited to the annual media event but would extend to security protocols for major events across the country.

“We’re going to be talking about how we improve the security, not just for this event, but for all events going forward,” he said, adding, “We’re going to learn from this one.”

The FBI chief declined to answer specific questions about the alleged gunman, citing the suspect’s expected court appearance later in the day.

Authorities have so far released limited details as investigations continue.

Chairman U.S. Rep. Andrew Garbarino (R-NY) speaks during a House Homeland Security Committee hearing on February 10, 2026 in Washington, DC. The Department of Homeland Security has faced criticism over law enforcement tactics targeting undocumented immigrants and the killing of two U.S. citizens in Minneapolis. (Photo by Samuel Corum/Getty Images)
Chairman US Rep Andrew Garbarino (R-NY) speaks during a House Homeland Security Committee hearing on February 10, 2026, in Washington, DC (Samuel Corum/Getty Images)

Congress seeks answers from the Secret Service

The incident has triggered swift reactions on Capitol Hill, with key committees demanding accountability. The House Homeland Security Committee confirmed it has requested a formal briefing from the Secret Service.

“The Committee is in contact with the Department of Homeland Security and has requested a briefing from the Secret Service on this alarming attack,” Chairman Rep Andrew Garbarino said in a statement.

Separately, the House Oversight Committee has also sought a briefing, signaling broader congressional scrutiny of how the breach occurred.

The shooting scare unfolded when a gunman attempted to breach a security checkpoint at the high-profile event, which was attended by top US officials and media figures.

Swift action by law enforcement prevented casualties and led to the suspect’s arrest.

Security experts say the incident could prompt a broader overhaul of coordination between federal and local agencies responsible for safeguarding high-profile events.

Questions are also being raised about perimeter control, access screening, and intelligence-sharing failures. With multiple investigations underway, officials are expected to outline corrective measures in the coming days.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump's first face-to-face with several G7 leaders since Iran conflict escalated
9 hours ago
On May 14, CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Havana with President Donald Trump's message linking US engagement to reforms in Cuba
2 days ago
State-linked Iranian media claimed Washington offered a counterproposal easing some oil sanctions during negotiations
2 days ago
Iranian President Masoud President Pezeshkian acknowledged losses from US strikes on Iran and urged officials to avoid rhetoric that fuels division
2 days ago
Tehran says it is coordinating with Muscat to ensure safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz
2 days ago
Iran’s truce proposal called for ending regional conflicts and lifting all economic and maritime restrictions imposed during the war
2 days ago
Report says Trump to speak with Netanyahu as he grows frustrated with Iran’s peace terms
3 days ago
Grafstrom says Istanbul talks focused on ensuring Iran’s smooth World Cup participation
3 days ago
Alex Saab, once powerful under Nicolas Maduro, lost his government roles and influence after Maduro was removed from power
3 days ago
Pope reportedly concerned about AI-generated misinformation and erosion of trust in truth
4 days ago