FBI releases surveillance images of ‘armed’ suspect in Nancy Guthrie abduction case

The FBI released surveillance photos of a potential subject seen at Nancy Guthrie’s home
The FBI released security camera images of an 'armed individual' present the morning Nancy Guthrie was abducted (Getty Images; x/@FBIDirectorKash)
The FBI released security camera images of an 'armed individual' present the morning Nancy Guthrie was abducted (Getty Images; x/@FBIDirectorKash)

TUCSON, AZ: FBI Director Kash Patel released four high-resolution images on Tuesday, February 10, 2026, providing the first major visual lead in the disappearance of 84-year-old Nancy Guthrie. The photos, recovered from residual backend data, show a masked and armed individual at Guthrie’s front door in the early hours of February 1.

The Pima County Sheriff’s Department confirmed that the person appears to be tampering with the doorbell camera system. Authorities noted that the video footage had been previously inaccessible due to "a variety of factors," including the physical removal of recording devices from the home.

Armed subject caught on camera



The newly released images show a large figure wearing a ski mask, gloves, and a winter zip-up jacket. Most significantly, Director Patel confirmed that "what appears to be a gun" is visible in the individual’s waistband.

The suspect also appears to be carrying a backpack, adding weight to the theory of a planned abduction. While law enforcement is currently referring to the person as a "potential subject," they have not yet confirmed if this individual is a prime suspect or if other people were present at the scene during the time of the kidnapping.

Recovered data reveals hidden clues

The recovery of these images was made possible through a collaboration between the FBI and private sector partners. Investigators extracted "residual data" from the backend of Guthrie’s security network, overcoming the intentional damage done to the physical hardware. 



This forensic breakthrough provides a key timeline of the morning’s events. Previous reports indicated that Guthrie’s doorbell camera was disconnected at 1:47 a.m. The FBI’s 24-hour command post is now using the images to trace the individual's movements and identify any associated vehicles involved. 

Experts prioritize professional federal response

Security and intelligence expert Herman Weisberg of SAGE Intelligence argued that the FBI is "the most qualified agency maybe in the world" to handle this high-stakes case. Weisberg noted that planned ransom kidnappings are extremely rare in the modern era because high-definition cameras and digital identifiers make them nearly impossible to execute without leaving a trail.





"Everything is traceable," Weisberg said, adding that the FBI’s primary concern is the safe recovery of Mrs. Guthrie, not "satiating the news cycles". He cautioned that the bureau is likely withholding additional information by design to avoid compromising the ongoing search for the 84-year-old.

Reward offered for public leads

The FBI continues to offer a $50,000 reward for information leading to Nancy Guthrie’s recovery or the arrest and conviction of those involved. The Pima County Sheriff’s Department has already processed more than 3,000 tips as local and federal agents expand their search area.



While the $6 million bitcoin ransom deadline passed on Monday evening with no signs of life, authorities remain hopeful. They are urging anyone who recognizes the individual or the gear seen in the surveillance photos to contact 1-800-CALL-FBI or visit tips.fbi.gov.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

One particularly unusual belief was that her thoughts had become so loud that strangers could hear them
36 minutes ago
Kai Trump described the extra time they spent together during the summer as a 'blessing in disguise'
7 hours ago
Natalie Harp’s brother said her loyalty to Donald Trump reflects their mother’s worldview, which she recognized in Trump’s 'America First' agenda
8 hours ago
JD Vance served in the US Marine Corps from 2003 to 2007 as a combat correspondent with the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing
12 hours ago
Preston Harp said Natalie Harp’s admiration for Donald Trump stems from their upbringing and the values their mother taught them
14 hours ago
Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
19 hours ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
20 hours ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
21 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
23 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
1 day ago