Federal Judge stops Pentagon from punishing Sen Mark Kelly, slams 'trampled' rights

The court said that the administration violated Sen Mark Kelly's First Amendment rights by attempting to reprimand him over public remarks
Judge Richard Leon ruled that the Pentagon overstepped constitutional limits, warning against punishing retired service members like Sen Mark Kelly for speech (Getty Images)
Judge Richard Leon ruled that the Pentagon overstepped constitutional limits, warning against punishing retired service members like Sen Mark Kelly for speech (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: A federal judge on Thursday, February 12, ruled that the Trump administration violated Sen Mark Kelly's First Amendment rights, blocking Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s attempt to reprimand the Arizona Democrat and retired Naval officer.

US District Judge Richard Leon wrote that the administration had “trampled on Senator Kelly’s First Amendment freedoms and threatened the constitutional liberties of millions of military retirees.”

WASHINGTON, DC - DECEMBER 16: U.S. Sen. Mark Kelly (D-AZ) arrives for a closed door meeting on Capitol Hill on December 16, 2025 in Washington, DC. U.S. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth and U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio are headed back to Capitol Hill to speak with lawmakers as questions mount about strikes carried out by the U.S. military on suspected drug boats out of Venezuela ordered by the Trump Administration. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Sen Mark Kelly (D-AZ) arrives for a closed door meeting on Capitol Hill on December 16, 2025, in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Judge asserts retired service members deserve more respect 

Quoting Bob Dylan, Leon added, “You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows,” asserting that retired service members “deserve more respect from their Government” and that the Constitution demands it.

Leon said that the Defense Department should value the contributions retired military leaders bring to public debate.

“Rather than trying to shrink the First Amendment liberties of retired service members, Secretary Hegseth and his fellow Defendants might reflect and be grateful for the wisdom and expertise that retired service members have brought to public discussions and debate on military matters in our Nation over the past 250 years,” the judge wrote.

He expressed hope that the injunction would prompt a “course correction” within the Defense Department.

The Pentagon did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

BRUSSELS, BELGIUM - FEBRUARY 13: US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth speaks during a joint press conference held with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte during the NATO Defense Ministers' meeting on February 13, 2025 in Brussels, Belgium. NATO Defence Ministers are convening in Brussels for a meeting chaired by NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte. Also in attendance is US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, marking the first visit to NATO by a member of the new Trump administration. High on the agenda for the allies will be ascertaining how the US intends to influence the trajectory of the war in Ukraine, as the conflict nears the third anniversary since Russia's full-scale invasion. (Photo by Omar Havana/Getty Images)
Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth speaks during a joint press conference held with NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte during the NATO Defense Ministers' meeting on February 13, 2025, in Brussels, Belgium (Omar Havana/Getty Images)

Pentagon targeted Mark Kelly over video remarks

In January, Hegseth announced that the Pentagon was moving to downgrade Kelly’s retirement rank and pay, citing what he called the senator’s “seditious statements.”

The remarks stemmed from a video featuring Kelly and five other Democratic lawmakers, all of whom had previously served in the military or intelligence community.

The group included Reps Jason Crow of Colorado, Maggie Goodlander of New Hampshire, Chris Deluzio and Chrissy Houlahan of Pennsylvania, and Sen Elissa Slotkin of Michigan.

Sen. Elissa Slotkin (D-MI) and Director of the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development Tim Boring host a listening session with Michigan farmers and agriculture industry leaders on tariffs, immigration, H5N1, and rural economic development on March 20, 2025 in Sparta, Michigan. The session comes two days after Michigan farmers held a
Sen Elissa Slotkin (D-MI) and Director of the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development Tim Boring host a listening session with Michigan farmers and agriculture industry leaders on tariffs, immigration, H5N1, and rural economic development on March 20, 2025, in Sparta, Michigan (Chris duMond/Getty Images)

In the video, the lawmakers accused the administration of turning military and intelligence professionals against American citizens.

“Like us, you all swore an oath to protect and defend this Constitution,” they said. “Right now, the threats coming to our Constitution aren’t just coming from abroad but from right here at home.”

They added: “Our laws are clear. You can refuse illegal orders. You must refuse illegal orders. No one has to carry out orders that violate the law or our Constitution.”



President Donald Trump accused the six Democrats of “seditious behavior” and warned that they were “in serious trouble.”

Lawsuit invoked speech and debate protections

Kelly filed a suit in January, arguing that Hegseth’s actions violated both his First Amendment rights and the Constitution’s Speech and Debate clause, which protects lawmakers from punishment for official acts.

Following Thursday’s ruling, Kelly said the decision was about more than his own case. “The judge made clear that Pete Hegseth violated the Constitution when he tried to punish me for something I said,” Kelly wrote on X. “But this case was never just about me.”

“This administration was sending a message to millions of retired veterans that they, too, can be censured or demoted just for speaking out. That’s why I couldn’t let it stand,” he added.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
1 hour ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
2 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
2 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
3 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
4 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
4 hours ago
Trump had criticized Pirro after her office dropped charges against former Olympian David Hearn, but she quickly appealed a judge’s decision to release Melissa Farris
5 hours ago
Trump has labeled the Strait of Hormuz 'new US territory,' escalating his fight with Iran over a waterway vital to global oil supplies
6 hours ago
Trump casts a mail-in ballot in Florida’s Republican primary while his administration pushes to restrict mail voting nationwide
8 hours ago
'The BBC is simply trying to distract away from their own obvious liability,' a spokesman for Trump's legal team said
16 hours ago