Fetterman rallies Democrats behind Trump's ballroom after gunman ran past WHCD checkpoints

Investigators said the suspect, Cole Thomas Allen, entered by booking a room and bypassed checkpoints before attempting to storm the event
Sen John Fetterman argued that the Washington Hilton was not equipped to safely host events involving top levels of government like President Donald Trump (Getty Images)
Sen John Fetterman argued that the Washington Hilton was not equipped to safely host events involving top levels of government like President Donald Trump (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Sen John Fetterman is urging fellow Democrats to support the construction of a new ballroom at the White House following the attempted assassination of President Donald Trump and senior officials at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner.

Fetterman argued on Monday, April 27, that the current venue, Washington Hilton, is not equipped to safely host events involving the top levels of government.

President Donald Trump speaks in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House after an unspecified threat at the annual White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in Washington, Saturday, April 25, 2026, as FBI director Kash Patel and Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin listen. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)
President Donald Trump speaks in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House after an unspecified threat at the annual White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in Washington, Saturday, April 25, 2026, as FBI Director Kash Patel and Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin listen (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

John Fetterman says 'venue wasn't built for this'

Reflecting on the incident, Fetterman said the hotel could not adequately handle the security demands of an event attended by the president, vice president, and thousands of guests.

“We were there front and center. That venue wasn’t built to accommodate an event with the line of succession for the US government,” he said, calling for construction of a dedicated White House ballroom.

Concerns over security intensified after reports highlighted weaknesses in access control at the hotel. Media executive Joe DePaolo noted that entry to parts of the venue appeared lax, raising broader questions about screening procedures.

Investigators say the suspect, identified as Cole Thomas Allen, managed to enter the hotel by booking a room and bypassed key checkpoints before attempting to storm the event.

Members of law enforcement respond during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)
Members of law enforcement respond during the White House Correspondents Dinner, Saturday, April 25, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

Suspect exploited security gaps

Authorities revealed that the attacker ran past magnetometers on the terrace level and had earlier mocked the venue’s security in a message shared with family members. The dinner was attended by top officials, including Vice President JD Vance and House Speaker Mike Johnson.

Following the incident, President Donald Trump reiterated his call for a secure, purpose-built ballroom at the White House, describing it as “drone-proof” and fitted with bulletproof glass.

Tower cranes being used for construction of the White House Ballroom are seen at the White House, on Tuesday, March 31, 2026, in Washington. (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)
Tower cranes being used for the construction of the White House Ballroom are seen at the White House, on Tuesday, March 31, 2026, in Washington (AP Photo/Tom Brenner)

Legal battle over construction continues

The proposed 90,000-square-foot ballroom has sparked a legal fight, with the National Trust for Historic Preservation suing to block the project over concerns it would alter the White House’s historic character.

A federal judge, Richard J Leon, recently halted construction pending congressional approval, though an appeals court has temporarily allowed work to proceed.

In the wake of the attack, the Department of Justice has urged preservationists to drop their lawsuit, arguing that the attempted assassination underscores the urgent need for enhanced security infrastructure.

RELATED TOPICS WHITE HOUSE CORRESPONDENTS’ DINNER

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Taking to X after the race was called, the California Democrat blasted what he described as attacks on Massie and argued the libertarian-minded Republican was punished for taking on powerful interests
9 minutes ago
The bipartisan praise highlighted how Massie’s brand of anti-establishment politics has attracted support beyond traditional Republican circles
39 minutes ago
Appearing on Hannity, Gallrein recounted a conversation he said changed the course of his campaign
1 hour ago
In a lengthy post on X after the results, Marjorie Taylor Greene hailed Thomas Massie as 'a giant among weak pathetic men'
1 hour ago
Michael Caputo said the FBI probes were ‘weaponized’ against his family as he filed $2.7M DOJ claim
1 hour ago
Speaking at his concession event in Hebron on May 19, Thomas Massie framed the loss as part of a larger purpose
1 hour ago
Thomas Massie criticized Donald Trump’s White House ballroom project, saying Americans are struggling while gas and diesel prices rise
2 hours ago
Ilhan Omar faced renewed scrutiny after revising financial disclosures tied to companies co-owned by partner Tim Mynett
3 hours ago
Massie also claimed that his opponents tried to use ‘a lot of dirty tricks’ throughout the race but said they remained persistent.
3 hours ago
Trump referred to Melania as a 'great first lady' and highlighted her popularity, including the success of her recent film
3 hours ago