Former Prince Andrew arrested over alleged Epstein-linked 'misconduct in public office'
LONDON, UK: Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was arrested on Thursday, February 19, on suspicion of misconduct in public office, police confirmed. The arrest followed recent revelations stemming from US Justice Department files detailing his past dealings with Jeffrey Epstein.
Officers conducted searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk, including his former residence at Royal Lodge in Windsor and his current home on the Sandringham Estate.
Mountbatten-Windsor has denied all wrongdoing and has not commented on the latest allegations.
Police investigation and allegations of misconduct
Thames Valley Police said it had arrested a man in his 60s on suspicion of misconduct in public office, an offense that carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment in the United Kingdom.
While authorities did not formally name Mountbatten-Windsor, they confirmed searches were underway at two addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. Norfolk Constabulary said it was supporting the investigation.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright stated, “We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time. Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
Earlier this month, police said that they were examining claims that Mountbatten-Windsor, while serving as the United Kingdom’s trade envoy in 2010, shared confidential documents with Epstein.
One email included in the recent US document release appeared to show him forwarding Epstein a report from his special adviser concerning an official visit to Southeast Asia.
Under UK government guidelines, trade envoys are subject to confidentiality obligations similar to those of government ministers, including the handling of sensitive commercial or political information. The duty of confidentiality continues even after leaving office.
Former Metropolitan Police Chief Superintendent Dal Babu said the decision to arrest was “very significant,” noting that it allowed officers to search properties and seize electronic devices.
“When you arrest somebody, you are allowed to search the properties they have control of and the properties they own,” he said, adding that police might look for electronic records or materials connected to the allegations.
Mountbatten-Windsor can be held for up to 24 hours without charge, or up to 96 hours with judicial approval in serious cases.
Modern monarchy sees rare arrest amid Andrew's withdrawal from duties
Mountbatten-Windsor, the son of Queen Elizabeth II, stepped back from royal duties in 2019 amid scrutiny over his association with Epstein.
In 2022, he reached an out-of-court settlement with Virginia Giuffre, who had accused him of alleged exploitation when she was 17. He has denied those allegations.
It is highly unusual for a senior royal, or former senior royal, to be arrested in modern times.
Royal historian Sarah Gristwood described the development as unprecedented in the contemporary era, noting that while members of royal families in earlier centuries were imprisoned, it was typically for political reasons.
The investigation remains ongoing, and authorities have not announced whether formal charges will be brought.