King Charles, Prince William and Kate Middleton heckled over Prince Andrew’s Epstein ties

The royals have long faced scrutiny over Prince Andrew’s ties to Jeffrey Epstein.
Prince William and Kate Middleton encountered protests against Prince Andrew at an annual event at Westminster Abbey. (Getty Images)
Prince William and Kate Middleton encountered protests against Prince Andrew at an annual event at Westminster Abbey. (Getty Images)

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM: King Charles and other senior members of the British royal family were met with loud protests during their appearance at the Commonwealth Day service this week, as demonstrators demanded answers about Prince Andrew’s ties to Jeffrey Epstein.

The annual event at Westminster Abbey on March 9, Monday marked the royal family’s largest public gathering since Andrew’s arrest last month. While King Charles, Queen Camilla,

Prince William and Kate Middleton arrived for the ceremony, protesters gathered outside the historic church holding bright yellow signs and banners.



Protesters confront King Charles and senior royals outside Westminster Abbey

As the royals walked into Westminster Abbey for the Commonwealth Day celebration, demonstrators shouted and waved signs directed at the monarchy.

Several protesters held yellow placards with the words “What did you know?” printed in bold letters.

Others carried signs reading “Not my king,” “Down with the Crown,” and “Ditch the Duchies.”

The protesters also displayed large photos connected to the ongoing controversy surrounding Andrew. One of the images showed the former royal with Epstein victim Virginia Giuffre.

Prince Andrew’s refusal to care for Queen’s corgis linked to royal snub (Getty Images)
Prince Andrew’s refusal to care for Queen’s corgis linked to royal snub (Getty Images)

Another photograph showed Andrew on his hands and knees leaning over a woman lying on the ground.

Both images were displayed alongside the same pointed question written below them: “What did you know?”

Another banner raised by demonstrators targeted the king directly, asking, “Charles, what are you hiding?”

One poster showed a photo of Charles, William and Andrew together, accompanied by the message: “What are you hiding? Royal Epstein Enquiry.”

Prince Andrew’s arrest continues to cast shadow over royal family

The protests come weeks after Andrew was arrested on February 19 on suspicion of misconduct in public office linked to his Epstein connections.

He was released after spending 11 hours in custody. Andrew has not been charged and has denied all allegations against him.

Following the arrest, Buckingham Palace released a statement from King Charles addressing the situation.

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the king said at the time.

LONDON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 19: (EMBARGOED FOR PUBLICATION IN UK NEWSPAPERS UNTIL 24 HOURS AFTER CREATE DATE AND TIME) King Charles III attends the first day of London Fashion Week at NEWGEN 180 The Strand on February 19, 2026 in London, England. (Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
King Charles III attends the first day of London Fashion Week at NEWGEN 180 The Strand on February 19, 2026 in London, England (Getty Images)

“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” he added.

Charles emphasized that authorities should be allowed to carry out their work.

“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.”

The king also said it would not be appropriate for him to comment further while the matter is being investigated.

“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all,” the statement said.

Prince Andrew absent from Commonwealth Day event

Andrew did not attend Monday’s Commonwealth Day ceremony at Westminster Abbey.

Last fall, King Charles stripped his younger brother of his remaining royal titles, including the title of “prince.”

The king also ordered Andrew to leave his residence at Royal Lodge in Windsor and move to a smaller property on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.

While Andrew stayed away from the event, other members of the royal family were present for the ceremony celebrating the 56 countries that make up the Commonwealth.

Those attending included King Charles, Queen Camilla, Prince William, Kate Middleton, Princess Anne and the Duke of Gloucester, who is a cousin of Queen Elizabeth II.

Prince William's real reason for not attending the Paris Olympics involves Kate Middleton (Getty Images)
Prince William and Kate Middleton were heckled at Commonwealth Day service held at Westminster Abbey. (Getty Images)

Several other members of Andrew’s immediate family were also absent from the gathering. Sarah Ferguson, who is believed to have left the country, did not attend, and neither did Andrew’s daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie.

During his speech at the ceremony, Charles avoided any mention of Andrew and instead focused on global concerns such as war, conflict and climate change.

Anti-monarchy group says anger over Andrew scandal is growing

Graham Smith, a spokesperson for the anti-monarchy group Republic, said the protests reflect a growing frustration among the public.

Speaking to Channel 5 News in the UK, Smith said people across the country want answers about the scandal.

“There’s genuine sort of concern about what people knew,” Smith said.

“That question is being asked, not just by us, but by royalists and royal journalists and commentators.”

Smith argued that the heckling heard outside Westminster Abbey is part of a larger shift in public sentiment.

“So, I think the heckling is reflecting a much wider mood,” he said.

“I think that’s why it’s cutting through and getting talked about so much.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The Prince of Wales praised his wife in an interview with ‘Heart Breakfast’ hosts Jamie Theakston and Amanda Holden
3 hours ago
President Trump reversed a disputed troop pullout, sending 5,000 soldiers to Warsaw after catching key US allies off guard
14 hours ago
Iran’s embassies repeatedly mocked Donald Trump online, including joking 'we’ve lost the keys' during the Strait of Hormuz crisis
22 hours ago
Rubio reportedly suggested that President Donald Trump has grown increasingly frustrated with allies unwilling to support American military actions in the Middle East
23 hours ago
Assessments pointed to continued Chinese-linked supplies that could aid Iran's missile production and military rebuilding
1 day ago
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the conflict cannot end unless Iran's uranium, missiles and proxy networks are dismantled
1 day ago
Chinese Foreign Ministry condemned any official US engagement with Taiwan, saying it violates longstanding sovereignty principles
1 day ago
Trump's first face-to-face with several G7 leaders since Iran conflict escalated
2 days ago
On May 14, CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Havana with President Donald Trump's message linking US engagement to reforms in Cuba
4 days ago
State-linked Iranian media claimed Washington offered a counterproposal easing some oil sanctions during negotiations
4 days ago