Rutte and Polish officials react to Trump's surprise reversal on US forces in Europe
HELSINGBORG, SWEDEN: NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte and top political leaders in Warsaw broke into synchronized celebrations on Friday, May 22, following an unexpected, late-night decree from President Donald J Trump to deploy 5,000 US troops to Poland.
The sudden directive marks a stunning, total reversal of an executive policy enacted just last week that cut American military presence in the region, a move that had sent severe shockwaves through Western defense corridors.
The diplomatic turnaround was announced by Trump in a Truth Social post, where he explicitly linked the massive force deployment to his personal admiration for Poland's MAGA-aligned President Karol Nawrocki.
The decision effectively overrides a disruptive order issued days ago by Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, who had halted a planned deployment of a 4,000-troop armored brigade to Poland.
That initial cancellation had completely blindsided Warsaw, which stands as one of Washington's most dependable defense spenders.
Hegseth's original troop reduction had been engineered as part of a wider executive plan to punish German Chancellor Friedrich Merz for criticizing the ongoing war against Iran by removing 5,000 American soldiers from Germany.
NATO welcomes unexpected military policy shift
Speaking to reporters in Sweden during a high-stakes NATO foreign ministers' meeting, Secretary-General Mark Rutte warmly praised the abrupt policy pivot.
NATO's chief Mark Rutte says he welcomes US President Donald Trump's announcement to send 5,000 troops to Poland, while US Secretary of State Marco Rubio says NATO has to be good for all those involved pic.twitter.com/jQcMTdv91m
— TRT World Now (@TRTWorldNow) May 22, 2026
Rutte confirmed that he welcomed the expanded American security commitment and stated that allied military commanders are already actively working out the final logistics of the troop movement.
However, Rutte emphasized that Trump's latest operational decree would not alter the alliance's long-term objective to build up autonomous continental defense capabilities.
He reiterated that NATO remains committed to a gradual, step-by-step push to make European nations stronger so that they eventually become less dependent on the military assets of a single global ally.
Warsaw hails ironclad alliance with Washington
The sudden influx of US forces triggered immense delight across Poland's political establishment, with Defense Minister Władysław Kosiniak-Kamysz declaring that the move proves bilateral ties remain unbreakable.
Kosiniak-Kamysz celebrated Poland's solidified status as Washington’s "ironclad ally," while President Nawrocki publicly thanked Trump for his personal friendship and the immediate practical impact of the security guarantees.
Stoję i będę stać na straży sojuszu polsko-amerykańskiego – ważnego filaru bezpieczeństwa każdego polskiego domu i całej Europy.
— Karol Nawrocki (@NawrockiKn) May 21, 2026
Dobre sojusze to sojusze oparte na współpracy, wzajemnym szacunku i dbaniu o nasze wspólne bezpieczeństwo.
Dziękuję Prezydentowi Stanów Zjednoczonych…
Marcin Przydacz, Nawrocki's top foreign policy adviser, framed the policy reversal as a triumph of direct presidential diplomacy, noting Trump’s previous endorsement of Nawrocki.
Przydacz used the moment to attack pro-EU Prime Minister Donald Tusk, blasting the government chief for failing to lobby for a redeployment of American forces from Germany.
Decyzja prezydenta Donalda Trumpa dotycząca obecności wojsk amerykańskich w Polsce to dobra wiadomość dla Polski i USA. Wszystkim zaangażowanym w tę sprawę, prezydentowi Nawrockiemu, ministrom, kongresmenom i przyjaciołom Polski w USA dziękuję za skuteczność i jedność działania.
— Donald Tusk (@donaldtusk) May 22, 2026
Tusk ultimately bypassed the political infighting on social media, issuing broad thanks to Nawrocki, members of the US Congress, and international diplomats for successfully reversing Hegseth's original directive.
State Department hints at future re-examinations
While Foreign Minister Radosław Sikorski applauded the parallel lobbying efforts that secured the troop surge, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio introduced a note of caution regarding future force postures.
Rubio confirmed that Washington continues to re-examine where it puts troops due to vast global commitments, hinting that further drawdowns are actively being planned.
Marco Rubio says decisions on U.S. troops in Europe are not “punitive.” https://t.co/r4THAPvKNW pic.twitter.com/sPxaX3bziS
— Adam Scott (@chefcascottccc) May 22, 2026
Rubio insisted these future reductions are not punitive, though he acknowledged Trump will directly address his deep disappointment with European defense spending at the July leaders' summit in Ankara.
The secretary of state noted that the administration is particularly disappointed with nations like Spain, which recently infuriated the White House by refusing to allow American forces to utilize its local military installations for active combat operations against Iran.