Trump to send 5,000 troops to Poland despite plans to scale back forces in Europe
WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump announced Thursday, May 21, that the United States will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, a move that has deepened confusion over America’s military strategy in Europe after recent decisions to reduce troop deployments across the continent.
The announcement came just one week after Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth halted a planned combat team deployment to Poland and other European countries.
Trump had also recently announced plans to pull 5,000 troops from Germany, creating uncertainty among NATO allies about the administration’s broader military direction.
President Trump posts on TruthSocial:
— Donald J Trump Posts TruthSocial (@TruthTrumpPost) May 21, 2026
Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to… pic.twitter.com/bOJwLMMxh7
Donald Trump links Poland troop deployment to Karol Nawrocki
Trump confirmed the deployment in a social media post while praising Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom he endorsed during the election.
“Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump wrote.
Poland has become one of the most important NATO hubs for military aid flowing into neighboring Ukraine since Russia’s invasion in 2022.
The US already maintains around 10,000 troops in the country.
Nawrocki later thanked Trump publicly, calling the US-Poland alliance “a vital pillar of security for every Polish home and for all of Europe.”
I stand and will continue to stand guard over the Polish-American alliance–a vital pillar of security for every Polish home and for all of Europe.
— Karol Nawrocki (@NawrockiKn) May 21, 2026
Good alliances are those based on cooperation, mutual respect, and a commitment to our shared security.
I thank U.S. President…
Pentagon’s recent troop cuts created backlash and confusion
Trump’s latest announcement appeared to reverse moves made by the Pentagon only days earlier.
Last week, Hegseth canceled the deployment of a brigade combat team expected to rotate through Poland, Romania and the Baltic states.
The Pentagon also halted a Germany deployment involving a battalion specializing in long-range rockets and missiles.
According to defense officials, nearly 5,000 troops were affected by those canceled deployments.
The sudden changes drew criticism from Republican lawmakers, including Rep Don Bacon, who said Poland had been “blindsided” by the decision.
“It’s reprehensible, it’s an embarrassment to our country what we just did to Poland,” Bacon said during a House Armed Services Committee hearing.
NATO reacts as questions grow over America’s Europe strategy
The new Poland deployment has also sparked questions about America’s long-term military presence in Europe, especially after Trump criticized NATO allies for not contributing enough toward defense efforts.
It remains unclear whether the additional 5,000 troops will increase the total number of US forces in Europe or simply replace previously canceled deployments.
NATO chief Mark Rutte welcomed Trump’s announcement but stressed that Europe’s future security depends on building “a stronger Europe and a stronger NATO” that is “less reliant on one ally only.”
Meanwhile, Secretary of State Marco Rubio is attending a NATO foreign ministers meeting in Sweden focused heavily on defense spending and burden sharing among alliance members.
Trump’s latest troop move now places Poland at the center of growing debate over NATO, Ukraine and the future of America’s military role in Europe.