Kate Middleton and Prince William back King Charles’ response to former Prince Andrew’s arrest

Shortly after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, King Charles released a statement emphasizing that the royal household would fully cooperate with authorities
PUBLISHED 2 HOURS AGO
Kate Middleton and Prince William are not expected to issue their own statement, but sources confirmed they back the King’s response to the situation (Getty Images)
Kate Middleton and Prince William are not expected to issue their own statement, but sources confirmed they back the King’s response to the situation (Getty Images)

LONDON, UK: Kate Middleton and Prince William are standing behind King Charles following the arrest of the former Prince and Charles III's younger brother, Andrew.

The Prince and Princess of Wales are not expected to release a separate statement, signaling their support for the King’s response. Andrew was arrested on February 19 on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

King Charles releases statement after Andrew's arrest

WINDSOR, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 17: Catherine, Princess of Wales and Prince William, Prince of Wales during the State visit by the President of the United States of America at Windsor Castle on September 17, 2025 in Windsor, England. (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)
 Catherine, Princess of Wales and Prince William, Prince of Wales during the State visit by the President of the United States of America at Windsor Castle on September 17, 2025 in Windsor, England (Chris Jackson/Getty Images)

Kate Middleton and Prince William did not release a separate statement following the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, but sources told People that they support the King’s response.

Shortly after the arrest, King Charles, 77, issued a statement through Buckingham Palace, stressing that the royal household would cooperate fully with authorities.

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” the King said.

He added that the matter must now go through a “full, fair and proper process” handled by the appropriate authorities.

The King emphasized the palace’s “full and wholehearted support and co-operation” with the investigation. “Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” he said. "As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all."

Earlier this month, a spokesperson for Prince William, 43, and Princess Kate, 44, said the couple felt “deeply concerned” about ongoing revelations related to convicted offender Jeffrey Epstein.

The spokesperson said on February 9, during William’s official visit to Saudi Arabia, that their thoughts remain with the victims following the latest release of Epstein-related files on January 30.

Thames Valley Police issued statement after former Prince Andrew’s arrest

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is seen returning after leaving police custody, following his arrest on February 19, 2026 in Sandringham, Norfolk. Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, following police investigation into the recently release Epstein files. The former prince continues to deny any wrongdoing. (Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor is seen returning after leaving police custody, following his arrest on February 19, 2026 in Sandringham, Norfolk (Peter Nicholls/Getty Images)

Thames Valley Police said just over a week ago that they were reviewing claims against Mountbatten-Windsor that appeared in the latest batch of Epstein files released by the US Justice Department. Officers were deciding whether the claims required a formal investigation.

On Thursday, police confirmed that they arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office. They also searched properties in Berkshire and Norfolk. As is standard practice, police did not name the man in their statement.

LONDON, ENGLAND - FEBRUARY 19: (EMBARGOED FOR PUBLICATION IN UK NEWSPAPERS UNTIL 24 HOURS AFTER CREATE DATE AND TIME) King Charles III attends the first day of London Fashion Week at NEWGEN 180 The Strand on February 19, 2026 in London, England. (Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)
King Charles III attends the first day of London Fashion Week at NEWGEN 180 The Strand on February 19, 2026 in London, England. (Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

Shortly after 8 am local time, six unmarked police vehicles arrived at Wood Farm, Andrew’s current home on King Charles’ Sandringham estate in Norfolk. Later that day, sources reported that officers were also present at Royal Lodge, Andrew’s former home on the Windsor estate near London.

Police later said they had released the man under investigation, meaning he was free to leave without restrictions while the inquiry continues. Officers also confirmed that they had finished the searches in Norfolk.

They added that they informed the Home Office, the government department responsible for policing and national security, 30 minutes before making the arrest, in line with normal procedure.

If Andrew is formally charged with misconduct in public office, he could face a maximum sentence of life imprisonment under British law.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Thames Valley Police say the man arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office has been released while inquiries continue
13 hours ago
'We may have to take it a step further, or we may not. Maybe we’re going to make a deal,' Trump said
19 hours ago
President Donald Trump outlined a multinational framework aimed at rebuilding Gaza, though key details on fund allocation remained unclear
19 hours ago
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said, 'We understand the public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time'
20 hours ago
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office, a charge carrying a potential life sentence under UK law
21 hours ago
US military buildup heightens strike fears as nuclear negotiations near breaking point
1 day ago
'I believe Iranians are expected to come back to us with some more details in the next couple of weeks', Karoline Leavitt said
1 day ago
Cardinal Pietro Parolin said the Holy See will not join, stressing that 'at the international level it should above all be the UN that manages these'
1 day ago
Oman mediates Iran-US nuclear talks as Tehran balances compromise with confrontation
2 days ago
Trump says nations pledge funds, personnel to end Gaza conflict
4 days ago