King Charles voices 'concern' at disgraced Prince Andrew's arrest, says 'law must take its course'
LONDON, UK: King Charles III said he had learned “with the deepest concern” of the arrest of his younger brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, and emphasized that the legal process must be allowed to proceed without interference.
In a formal statement issued on Thursday, February 19, the King said that the matter would now be addressed through a “full, fair and proper process” by the relevant authorities. He stressed that they would receive the family’s “full and wholehearted support and co-operation.”
“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” the King said, adding that it would not be appropriate for him to comment further while the investigation continued. He said the royal family would meanwhile continue its duties and public service.
Police arrest Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct
Thames Valley Police confirmed that Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. UK media reported that officers attended his residence at Sandringham, north of London.
The arrest marked an extraordinary moment in modern British history and followed years of intense scrutiny over Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s association with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, scrutiny that has sharpened in recent weeks after the release of millions of files by the US Department of Justice relating to the late financier.
Mountbatten-Windsor, who was stripped of his royal titles last year, has consistently denied any wrongdoing connected to Epstein.
In a statement issued early Thursday, Thames Valley Police said that it had arrested a man in his 60s on suspicion of misconduct in public office, an offense that carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment in the United Kingdom.
The force did not name the suspect, in line with standard British practice, but confirmed the arrest when asked directly about Mountbatten-Windsor.
“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said. “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.”
Police said they were searching two addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. Mountbatten-Windsor lived at Royal Lodge in Windsor, Berkshire, until earlier this month and recently moved to a residence on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk.
Earlier, photographers captured what appeared to be unmarked police vehicles arriving at the Sandringham property.
US DOJ files suggest royal forwarded official report to Epstein
Earlier this month, Thames Valley Police confirmed it was examining allegations that Mountbatten-Windsor, while serving as the UK’s trade envoy in 2010, shared confidential documents with Epstein.
One email in the latest US document release appeared to show him forwarding Epstein a report prepared by a special adviser following an official visit to Southeast Asia. Mountbatten-Windsor has not commented on the newly released DOJ files.
The arrest capped years of mounting pressure over his long-standing alleged association with Epstein and further deepened the crisis facing the royal family.