Gavin Newsom accepts Trump's cognitive test challenge: 'Name your time and place'

Donald Trump questioned Gavin Newsom’s mental fitness and proposed that senior government officials should be required to undergo cognitive testing
PUBLISHED JAN 7, 2026
Gov Gavin Newsom and President Donald Trump exchanged heated barbs early in 2026 (Getty Images)
Gov Gavin Newsom and President Donald Trump exchanged heated barbs early in 2026 (Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Gavin Newsom and Donald Trump are already trading jabs just days into 2026. 

The California governor and the president are already sparring in the first major political dust-up of the new year.

The latest flare-up erupted Tuesday morning, January 6, after Trump took a swing at Newsom during an appearance at the Kennedy Center before Republican lawmakers. In a wide-ranging 84-minute speech, Trump cast doubts on Newsom’s mental fitness and dared him to prove it.

Trump throws the first punch

Speaking to GOP lawmakers, Trump floated the idea of mandatory cognitive testing for top officeholders. He then promptly aimed it squarely at Newsom.

“We should give everybody these competency tests … I think every president and vice president should be forced to take cognitive exams,” POTUS said at one point during his remarks.

After taking shots at ex–vice presidential nominee Gov. Tim Walz (D-MN) and ex–VP Kamala Harris, Trump circled back to Newsom, whom he has already branded as the Democrats’ 2028 White House frontrunner. It's worth noting that the outgoing California governor has not declared any such run.

“I don’t think Gavin could,” POTUS said, referring to Newsom passing a cognitive test. “He’s got a good line of crap, but other than that, he couldn’t pass.”



Gavin Newsom accepts the challenge

Newsom didn’t issue a carefully worded statement or wait for a press conference. Instead, the California governor took to the office’s official X account.

The Democrat borrowed directly from one of Trump’s most infamous boasts, his 2020 claim of acing a dementia screening by recalling a string of words.

Newsom wrote, “Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.”

Then came the challenge. “If you’re so confident, let’s do it. Name your time and place," he declared.



Cognitive health questions

The exchange comes amid renewed questions around Trump’s own cognitive and physical health.

The commander-in-chief, now 79, has repeatedly claimed he is “very healthy.” Still, he raised eyebrows recently when he revealed he had undergone a “preventative” MRI scan, a form of imaging typically not used as routine screening for healthy adults unless specific conditions are involved.

In an interview with the Wall Street Journal last week, Trump appeared to walk that back and said it was actually a CT scan, which is a less intensive imaging procedure. He did not provide further details.

Back in 2020, Trump frequently bragged about passing a cognitive test designed to screen for dementia, turning the exam into something of a personal talking point.

Now, Newsom seems more than happy to put that bravado to the test publicly. The governor's spokesperson Izzy Gardon didn’t hesitate when asked whether the governor was genuinely challenging Trump to a live cognitive showdown.

“Sure! Would be fun,” Gardon replied.

This comes as Trump escalated matters further on Tuesday by posting on Truth Social that the “Fraud Investigation of California has begun.”

What exactly that investigation entails remains murky. It’s unclear what the probe is about, who specifically is conducting it, or even whether the Department of Justice is formally involved.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
11 hours ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
18 hours ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
19 hours ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
20 hours ago
Melania Trump called her inaugural gown 'modern, bold, simple, and dignified,' saying it reflects decades of experience and craftsmanship
23 hours ago
The Trump-Kennedy Center canceled Le Patin Libre’s show after a toxic chemical attack and handed footage to police for investigation
23 hours ago
Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
1 day ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
1 day ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
1 day ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
1 day ago