Hakeem Jeffries calls Venezuela strike and Nicolas Maduro's capture an 'act of war'

Hakeem Jeffries argued that the Venezuela raid went beyond illegal substances, stressing Congress alone held war‑declaring authority
PUBLISHED JAN 4, 2026
Hakeem Jeffries urged safeguards to prevent future strikes without Congressional approval, citing constitutional limits (NBC News/YouTube, Getty Images)
Hakeem Jeffries urged safeguards to prevent future strikes without Congressional approval, citing constitutional limits (NBC News/YouTube, Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries appeared on NBC News’s ‘Meet the Press’ on Sunday, January 4, to discuss the recent strike in Venezuela and the capture of Nicolas Maduro.

The host of the segment, Kristen Welker, recalled Jeffries’s previous statements calling Maduro a criminal and an authoritarian dictator and asked whether the people of Venezuela were better off without him in power. 

Jeffries agreed that Maduro was a bad person but said that the future of the Venezuelan people was yet to be determined since Trump said that the US would be running the nation. 

Later in the interview, Jeffries said that the attack wasn’t just an attack on n***o-t*****ism but also an “act of war.”

TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA - MAY 01: U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks to graduating students at the Coleman Coliseum at the University of Alabama on May 01, 2025 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Trump's remarks come the day before commencement ceremonies. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump delivers remarks to graduating students at the Coleman Coliseum at the University of Alabama on May 01, 2025, in Tuscaloosa, Alabama (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Hakeem Jeffries slams Trump for not seeking Congressional approval

During his ‘Meet the Press’ segment, Hakeem Jeffries was asked about Marco Rubio’s justification for why the administration didn’t seek Congressional approval before attacking Venezuela.

Both Trump and Rubio previously claimed that they were worried about the information being leaked.

Chiming in on the same, Jeffries said that there had been no evidence that there was an immediate threat to national security.

“This was not simply a counter-n*******s operation. It was an act of war,” he said.

President Donald Trump gestures during a meeting of his Cabinet in the Cabinet Room of the White House on December 02, 2025 in Washington, DC. A bipartisan Congressional investigation has begun regarding Secretary of War Pete Hegseth's role in ordering U.S. military strikes on small boats in the waters off Venezuela that have killed scores of people, which Hegseth said are intended
President Donald Trump gestures during a meeting of his Cabinet in the Cabinet Room of the White House on December 02, 2025, in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

The Minority leader explained that the large-scale operation was a military action, involving Delta Force, the army, thousands of troops, and more. Citing the American Constitution, Jeffries said that only Congress had the power to declare war. 

He added that they needed to make sure that there was no military action without congressional approval in the future.

Marco Rubio claims Venezuela strike needed no approval

The Secretary of State Marco Rubio also appeared on ‘Meet the Press’ the same day as Hakeem Jeffries.

During his conversation with Kristen Welker, Rubio was questioned about why the administration didn’t wait for congressional approval.

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA - JANUARY 03: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a press conference as U.S. President Donald Trump listens at Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida. During the event, President Trump confirmed that the U.S. military carried out a large-scale strike in Caracas overnight, resulting in the capture of Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Secretary of State Marco Rubio speaks during a press conference as President Donald Trump listens at the Mar-a-Lago club on January 03, 2026, in Palm Beach, Florida (Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

Rubio explained that the strike did not require approval because it was not an invasion. 

“This is not an extended military operation. This is a very precise operation that involved a couple of hours of action,” he told Welker.

Rubio added that it was a “delicate” operation that required multiple conditions to be in place at the right time. He also explained that the Trump administration could not risk any information being leaked, or else it would have endangered the mission. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Australian activist Drew Pavlou says his satirical plan to occupy Billie Eilish’s mansion led to a 30-hour detention at LAX
5 minutes ago
Petr Macinka criticized woke culture and gender ideology, while Hillary Clinton defended women’s rights during their tense exchange
24 minutes ago
Maher says outrage is emotional, insists his views on Trump haven’t changed and vows to keep mocking progressive activists
1 hour ago
Savannah Guthrie urged Nancy Guthrie’s return, saying it is not too late to act and expressing hope and belief in people’s goodness
2 hours ago
The New York Post alerted the Pima County Sheriff’s Department after finding gloves, as DNA from one may match Nancy Guthrie’s masked kidnapper
3 hours ago
Tucker Carlson says official silence is driving online speculation and warns key details may stay hidden until records are eventually declassified
3 hours ago
A former campus editor shares memories of Guthrie’s dedication as FBI raises reward and investigators pursue new leads
3 hours ago
Investigators recovered multiple gloves, but only one contained a DNA profile that appeared consistent with the figure seen in surveillance footage
8 hours ago
Mobile reactor transported from California to Utah for testing, Trump’s nuclear modernization push
9 hours ago
Feds seek 2-mile footage; $100K reward unclaimed in Savannah Guthrie mother search
10 hours ago