Hamas signals readiness to disarm under Board of Peace plan as Trump announces Gaza deal

Donald Trump said Israeli forces would withdraw in phases as Hamas disarms, with an international force securing Gaza
Hamas agreed to the Board of Peace's Gaza disarmament plan after Donald Trump hailed a ceasefire breakthrough, Israel has reservations (Getty Images)
Hamas agreed to the Board of Peace's Gaza disarmament plan after Donald Trump hailed a ceasefire breakthrough, Israel has reservations (Getty Images)

CAIRO, EGYPT: Hamas has signaled what could be its biggest policy shift since the start of the Gaza war, with a senior official telling the BBC that the group has agreed to the Board of Peace's plan for the complete disarmament of Gaza.

The development came after President Donald Trump announced what he described as a major breakthrough in efforts to implement the next phase of a US-backed ceasefire plan. 

The Hamas official said an official statement confirming the group's position would be released soon. Israel has not publicly endorsed the proposal, and reports suggest it still has reservations about its terms.



Hamas accepts Trump-backed Gaza disarmament plan

Trump announced that the Board of Peace had reached an agreement for the "complete disarmament" of Hamas and other armed groups operating in Gaza.

Shortly afterward, a senior Hamas official told the BBC that the group had accepted the proposal and would soon issue a formal statement. Trump also outlined what he said would happen next if the agreement moves forward.

"This is a major milestone in the implementation of the Trump 20-Point Plan," he wrote on Truth Social.



"The agreement will be carried out in carefully structured phases. As disarmament is completed, Israeli forces will withdraw, and the International Stabilization Force will work with a new Palestinian police force to take responsibility for keeping Gaza safe for its residents and its neighbors."

Trump also thanked Egypt, Qatar, and Turkey for helping mediate the negotiations.

Israel yet to approve Gaza disarmament deal

While Hamas appears ready to move forward, Israel has yet to publicly approve the proposal.

According to reports cited in the provided material, talks between mediators and Hamas leaders in Cairo made rare progress, but an Israeli official reportedly said the proposed terms were not satisfactory.

The Times of Israel also reported that an agreement had been signed between Hamas negotiators, the Board of Peace, and the mediating countries.

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 19: Jared Kushner, U.S. President Donald Trump, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff attend the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace at the Donald J. Trump Institute of Peace on February 19, 2026 in Washington, DC. Assembled to raise money for the rebuilding and stabilization of Gaza, Trump's Board of Peace was formally established on the sidelines of World Economic Forum in January of 2026. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff attend the inaugural meeting of the Board of Peace at the Donald J Trump Institute of Peace on February 19, 2026 in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

However, the report added that an Israeli official maintained the proposal still failed to meet Jerusalem's demands. The reported differences mean the deal could still face hurdles before it is fully implemented.

Hamas softens stance on Gaza peace plan

The reported agreement represents a notable change from Hamas' earlier stance. In April, the group rejected a similar disarmament proposal tied to Trump's Gaza peace efforts.

The second phase of the US-brokered ceasefire plan includes Hamas' disarmament and the reconstruction of Gaza.

Trump said Israeli forces would withdraw gradually as the process is completed, allowing a new Palestinian government, supported by an International Stabilization Force and a new Palestinian police force, to assume responsibility for security.

President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he exits Air Force One at Joint Base Andrews, Md., after attending the World Cup final soccer match, Sunday, July 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
President Donald Trump speaks to reporters as he exits Air Force One at Joint Base Andrews, Md, after attending the World Cup final soccer match, Sunday, July 19, 2026 (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)

Earlier this month, Hamas appointed Khalil al-Hayya as its new leader following the death of Yahya Sinwar.

Hayya has led the group's indirect ceasefire negotiations with mediators in Egypt and Qatar.

Although Hamas has now reportedly agreed to the Board of Peace proposal, Israel's reported objections indicate that negotiations are still ongoing.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 60-day US-Iran ceasefire deadline ended without a deal on August 17, and President Trump said the next day that no talks were underway
1 hour ago
The High Court has ordered the seven claimants to make the payment by August 28, with the publisher seeking substantially more
2 hours ago
Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
1 day ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
1 day ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
3 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
4 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
4 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
4 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
6 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026