Homan calls out 'false statements' by Bovino following court rebuke: 'He needs to be investigated'
WASHINGTON, DC: White House border czar Tom Homan called for investigations into federal agents accused of providing false testimony, stating that “anybody who acts out of line” must be held accountable.
Speaking on 'CNN News Central' on Friday, February 20, Homan addressed reports that senior Border Patrol official Gregory Bovino gave inaccurate sworn testimony related to a 2025 tear gas incident in Chicago.
Homan said that while the Department of Homeland Security oversees immigration agencies, he expects Secretary Kristi Noem to take action if evidence confirms misconduct.
“If a judge declared he lied under oath, he needs to be investigated,” Homan said, adding that inaccurate testimony from law enforcement could intensify public criticism and distrust.
Federal judge finds Gregory Bovino lied multiple times
The call for scrutiny follows a November ruling from a federal judge in Illinois, who determined that Commander Gregory Bovino admitted during a deposition to lying “multiple times” about his conduct during an anti-ICE protest.
Bovino had testified that he was struck in the head by a rock before deploying a tear gas canister toward demonstrators.
According to court findings, video evidence contradicted that account, showing Bovino released the chemical agent without issuing a verbal warning and was struck only after the canister had been launched.
The ruling prompted a preliminary injunction limiting immigration agents’ use of force in Chicago. Plaintiffs in the case argued that the incident reflected a broader pattern of aggressive enforcement tactics.
ICE admits to 'false statements' in Minneapolis
Federal testimony faced additional scrutiny after Immigration and Customs Enforcement acknowledged that agents provided “false statements” under oath about a mid-January shooting in Minneapolis.
DHS initially stated that three individuals had assaulted officers with a shovel and broom, prompting a “defensive shot” that injured a Venezuelan man.
Subsequent video review found that the sworn accounts of two officers were “untruthful” and materially inconsistent with events captured on footage.
The Department of Justice moved to dismiss all felony assault charges against the men involved, filing for dismissal with prejudice. The two ICE officers were placed on administrative leave while a criminal investigation proceeded.
Kristi Noem and Tom Homan prioritize officer accountability
Homan said federal prosecutors were actively reviewing the Minneapolis case and that charges could follow if evidence showed that agents fabricated details.
He stressed that federal officers must adhere to professional standards and that violations of sworn duties would result in consequences.
Secretary Kristi Noem had previously defended the Minneapolis officer’s actions as a response to what she described as an attempted assault, but she has not publicly addressed the latest admissions.
Homan said that the department remains committed to accountability, arguing that maintaining investigative integrity is critical to preserving public confidence in federal immigration enforcement.