‘He is kinda wistful about that’: Internet abuzz as John Oliver tells Seth Meyers he is ‘willing’ to negotiate Clarence Thomas offer again

Back in February, John Oliver made Clarence Thomas a unique offer to resign from the Supreme Court
On Seth Meyers' show, John Oliver said he is willing to make an offer again to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas (Late Night with Seth Meyers/ YouTube,  Last Week Tonight/YouTube, Getty Images)
On Seth Meyers' show, John Oliver said he is willing to make an offer again to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas (Late Night with Seth Meyers/ YouTube, Last Week Tonight/YouTube, Getty Images)

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: John Oliver, the quick-witted host of 'Last Week Tonight', stirred up quite a buzz back in February with his unconventional proposal to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

Oliver's offer was straightforward: resign from the bench, and in return, Oliver would give Thomas a luxury motor coach and a hefty $1 million annual stipend for life. This unusual proposal came after a string of investigations revealed that Thomas had not disclosed numerous luxurious trips and expenses funded by Republican billionaire Harlan Crow. 

But despite Oliver's lucrative incentives, Thomas ultimately declined the deal, leaving the 'Last Week Tonight' host with mixed emotions.

John Oliver reflects on Clarence Thomas proposal

"It was both a huge relief and massively disappointing that he didn’t take it," Oliver candidly admitted during an appearance on 'Late Night With Seth Meyers' on Monday night, May 6.

Reflecting on the aftermath of his offer, Oliver couldn't help but chuckle at the audacity of his proposition, especially considering his wife's less-than-enthusiastic reaction.

"As long as he gets out before they’re doing the June decisions, I would be willing to open discussions again," Oliver remarked, signaling his willingness to reconsider the offer despite the expiry of the original 30-day window.

Directly addressing Thomas through the camera, Oliver extended the offer once more, humorously noting, "If you want to get in touch and open up the negotiations again, I still have the contract in the drawer in my desk. And I’d be willing to do that. But again, until one of us dies, and hopefully that will be you."



 

Internet reacts to Oliver's offer to Thomas

Social media users' reaction to John Oliver's unconventional offer to Clarence Thomas was a mix of amusement, speculation, and even skepticism

One user wrote, "What I like is the certain knowledge that Thomas is kinda wistful about that offer."

Another said, "John Oliver would've made the offer in private Clarence Thomas would've taken it in a New York minute."

One commented, "Still not sure why he thought Clarence Thomas would want to reduce his income."

Another replied, "Thomas would never take such a small amount to retire. He gets way more from his bosses to stay in office and vote as they wish."

One wrote, "He can just do a go fund me for it. I’m sure he could find one million people to give one dollar for Clarence Thomas to resign."

One said, "All the appropriate words to describe Thomas aren't allowed to be typed here."

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Dan Driscoll has pushed the Army to improve living conditions for troops and modernize its equipment
5 minutes ago
Mace's latest post targeting Omar comes after her push for a constitutional amendment on who can serve in Congress
53 minutes ago
The decision comes days after a federal court issued a preliminary injunction blocking Trump’s 2026 executive order restricting mail voting
1 hour ago
A recovered archive showed Natalie Harp repeatedly defending Trump's election claims and praising his allies during the January 6 Capitol attack
2 hours ago
The administration said the ballroom was part of a larger complex that included an underground military facility protecting Trump and senior officials
3 hours ago
Anthony Fauci’s lawyers have created a fund for his legal expenses as congressional scrutiny and state investigations continue over his pandemic-era actions
3 hours ago
The Trump account included a $1,000 federal investment for children born in his second term and became available to families last month
4 hours ago
Trump personally thanked sculptor George Lundeen for the Jefferson statue, leaving a voicemail that began with an unexpected self-reference
4 hours ago
The State Department said applicants from the affected countries posed a high risk of becoming public charges and relying on US government resources
8 hours ago
JD Vance pointed to Abdul El-Sayed’s past comments on Sharia law as proof of how far he believes Democrats have moved from their working-class roots
11 hours ago