Iran offers $30,000 bounty for killing or capturing US soldiers, doubles reward for women
TEHRAN, IRAN: Iran has announced a $30,000 bounty for anyone who kills or captures a US soldier, with the reward reportedly doubled when the act is carried out by a woman, amid continuing tensions between Tehran and Washington.
Army chief Amir Hatami said the plan had been drawn up following a "large number of requests" to participate, the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) revealed in a post on X.
Iran announces $30,000 reward for capturing or killing US soldiers
Hatami said the reward would be equivalent to $30,000, or five billion Iranian tomans. "Courageous Iranian women who carry out such an action will receive double the reward," he added.
Mr. Hatami repeated Iran's call for the US to leave West Asia, saying, "They no longer have permission to enter the Persian Gulf, the Gulf of Oman or the Strait of Hormuz."
The Commander-in-Chief of the Iranian Army: With public participation, any Iranian force that captures or kills a American aggressor will receive a $30,000 reward from the Iranian people.
— IRIB (Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting) (@iribnews_irib) August 16, 2026
Hatami did not specify when or where such attacks would take place, particularly as US troops are stationed beyond the reach of ordinary Iranians. Since the war with Iran began on February 28, 18 US service members have been killed, all outside Iran in airstrikes and munitions-related incidents.
The announcement comes despite there being no known deployment of US ground troops inside Iran during the conflict, apart from a major rescue operation in April involving about 200 US personnel and more than 170 aircraft to recover the weapon systems officer of a downed F-15.
Hatami rejects Trump's claims about the Strait of Hormuz
Hatami also denounced US President Donald Trump's statements that he would declare the Strait of Hormuz as a "territory of the United States" after Iran is defeated.
"The delusional US president is trying hard to create a winning image of himself. But today, few people in the world take him seriously. The image that the Western media itself is broadcasting of America today is the image of a loser. The image of someone who hides in a food truck out of fear and leaves other members of the government and journalists on a plane that the US Secret Service claims was under threat is the image of a big loser," Hatami added, referencing the Secret Service smuggling Trump onto a different plane after leaving the NATO summit in Turkey in July.
He also threatened US bases in the Middle East. "Everyone should know that in no way can the American bases return to their previous status, and Iran will never allow centers to be established in our neighborhood that aim to threaten Islamic Iran. The only way is for the Americans to leave the region."
"They have been effectively expelled and are no longer permitted to enter the Persian Gulf, the Sea of Oman, and the Strait of Hormuz. We have won on this path and are consolidating our victory," he stated.