Israel-Hezbollah ceasefire takes hold after deadly final hours of fighting

Lebanese authorities said thousands were killed and many more injured after the latest round of fighting began
Smoke rises from an Israeli airstrike that hit Qlaileh village, as seen from the southern port city of Tyre, Lebanon, Tuesday, June 2, 2026 (AP Photo/Mohammed Zaatari)
Smoke rises from an Israeli airstrike that hit Qlaileh village, as seen from the southern port city of Tyre, Lebanon, Tuesday, June 2, 2026 (AP Photo/Mohammed Zaatari)

TEL AVIV, ISRAEL: After months of escalating violence and one last wave of deadly attacks, a ceasefire between Israel and Hezbollah officially came into effect on Friday, June 19, bringing a halt to one of the region's most destructive confrontations in recent months.

The truce follows intense diplomatic efforts tied to the recently signed US-Iran agreement and arrives after both sides exchanged heavy strikes that left dozens dead just hours before the guns fell silent.



Ceasefire begins after deadly escalation

A US official confirmed that Israel and Hezbollah had accepted a ceasefire arrangement that took effect at 4 pm local time on Friday.

The agreement came only hours after one of the bloodiest periods of the conflict, underscoring how close the region remained to further escalation before the truce was finalized.

In southern Lebanon, health authorities reported that at least 18 people were killed following overnight Israeli strikes. At the same time, Israel announced that four of its soldiers had died during ongoing operations linked to the conflict.

NORTHERN ISRAEL, ISRAEL - APRIL 29: An Israeli and US flag is seen near the border with Southern Lebanon, as seen from a position on the Israeli side of the border on April 29, 2026 in Northern Israel, Israel. Israel has continued to launch strikes and issue evacuation orders for parts of southern Lebanon despite the ongoing ceasefire, accusing Hezbollah of violating the agreement. Last week, an original 10-day ceasefire agreed by Israel and Lebanon was extended another three weeks. (Photo by Amir Levy/Getty Images)
An Israeli and US flag is seen near the border with Southern Lebanon, as seen from a position on the Israeli side of the border on April 29, 2026, in Northern Israel, Israel (Amir Levy/Getty Images)

Before the ceasefire came into force, the Israeli military said it had carried out attacks on dozens of Hezbollah-linked sites and claimed multiple fighters from the Iran-backed group were killed.

The operations represented a final surge of military activity before both sides agreed to stop active hostilities. Despite the ceasefire, Israeli officials emphasized that military forces remain on alert.

IDF spokesperson Brig Gen Effie Defrin stated that while a ceasefire is now in place, Israel remains prepared to resume operations if circumstances require it.

Smoke rises from an Israeli airstrike that hit Qlaileh village, as it seen from the southern port city of Tyre, Lebanon, Tuesday, June 2, 2026. (AP Photo/Mohammed Zaatari)
Smoke rises from an Israeli airstrike that hit Qlaileh village, as seen from the southern port city of Tyre, Lebanon, Tuesday, June 2, 2026 (AP Photo/Mohammed Zaatari)

Fighting left thousands dead and injured

The agreement marks a potentially significant turning point after months of fighting that displaced large populations, devastated communities and raised fears of a broader regional war.

Lebanon became deeply involved in the wider regional conflict earlier this year after Hezbollah launched attacks against Israel following developments involving Iran.

Israel responded with an extensive military campaign that expanded beyond border exchanges and eventually included large-scale strikes across Lebanese territory.

Smoke rises following an Israeli airstrike in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Monday, March 9, 2026. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)
Smoke rises following an Israeli airstrike in Dahiyeh, Beirut's southern suburbs, Lebanon, Monday, March 9, 2026 (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

According to Lebanese authorities, thousands of people have been killed since the latest round of fighting began, while many more have been injured.

Entire communities in southern Lebanon suffered extensive destruction, and large numbers of residents remain unable to return home.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 60-day US-Iran ceasefire deadline ended without a deal on August 17, and President Trump said the next day that no talks were underway
12 hours ago
The High Court has ordered the seven claimants to make the payment by August 28, with the publisher seeking substantially more
13 hours ago
Donald Trump sought to reopen a diplomatic channel with North Korea despite Kim Jong Un’s hardened nuclear stance
1 day ago
Kim Yo-jong said the relationship between Trump and Kim Jong Un is 'excellent,' but she was unaware of any recent communication between them
1 day ago
Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
4 days ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
4 days ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
4 days ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
5 days ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
6 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026