Jay-Z defends Bad Bunny as Super Bowl 2026 halftime show choice: 'They love him'

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell backed the decision, stressing that the selection process was deliberate and that the criticism had become a tradition
Jay-Z defended Bad Bunny's selection as the Super Bowl halftime show performer (Cindy Ord, Steph Chambers/Getty Images)
Jay-Z defended Bad Bunny's selection as the Super Bowl halftime show performer (Cindy Ord, Steph Chambers/Getty Images)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: The choice of Bad Bunny as Super Bowl 2026 halftime show headliner has sparked quite a controversy, but Jay-Z is standing up for his selection. The founder of Roc Nation implied that the criticism over the selection is unreal and asserted that the Puerto Rican artist is widely loved.

Responding to the criticism, Jay-Z offered his perspective favoring the artist, after the NFL officials had already given their comments on it.

Jay-Z dismisses controversy on Bad Bunny 

Jay-Z, whose Roc Nation helps to decide the headliner act of the halftime show, has addressed the controversy surrounding Bad Bunny. When TMZ questioned Jay-Z in New York concerning the "hating," he responded, "They love him. Don't let them fool you," reaffirming his support for the three-time Grammy winner. 

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - JANUARY 25: Jay-Z attends 2020 Roc Nation THE BRUNCH on January 25, 2020 i
Jay-Z attends 2020 Roc Nation THE BRUNCH on January 25, 2020 in Los Angeles, California (Erik Voake/Getty Images for Roc Nation)

That's not the first time Jay-Z has advocated for the artist. When the NFL released the headliner last September, Jay-Z said, “What Benito has done and continues to do for Puerto Rico is truly inspiring. We are honored to have him on the world's biggest stage.”

Roger Goodell said controversy expected in selection process

Jay-Z's defense followed shortly after NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell dismissed the criticisms about the artist's booking while talking to The Blast: “I'm not sure we've ever selected an artist where we didn't have some blowback or criticism," he said.“It's pretty hard to do when you have literally hundreds of millions of people that are watching.” 

Roger Goodell attends the Project Healthy Minds 3rd Annual Gala at Spring Studios on October 09, 2025 in New York City. (John Nacion/WireImage)
Roger Goodell attends the Project Healthy Minds 3rd Annual Gala at Spring Studios on October 09, 2025 in New York City (John Nacion/WireImage)

Goodell was confident that Bad Bunny's performance will provide a moment that would be a "unifying moment around the globe."

Critics demand 'American' music over international pop

The strongest opposition to the choice has centered on the music style and language of Bad Bunny, with some of his critics claiming that he does not reflect true American music. President Donald Trump was among those public figures who criticized the selection as "absolutely ridiculous."

U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks on the NFL Draft in the Oval Office of the White House on May 05, 2025 in Washington, DC. Joined by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (C), Washington Commanders owner Josh Harris (2nd-L) and Washington, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser, Trump announced that the 2027 NFL Draft will be held on the National Mall. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump delivers remarks on the NFL Draft in the Oval Office of the White House on May 05, 2025 in Washington, DC. Joined by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (C), Washington Commanders owner Josh Harris (2nd-L) and Washington, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Interviewed by Newsmax's "Greg Kelly Reports," Trump stated he did not know the artist. When the host described the artist, Bad Bunny, as one who "hates ICE" and calls criticism racism, Trump replied, "I've never heard of him... I don't know who he is."

NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE - OCTOBER 30: George Strait performs onstage during Coal Miner's Daughter: A Celebration of the Life & Music of Loretta Lynn at The Grand Ole Opry on October 30, 2022 in Nashville, Tennessee. (Photo by Jason Kempin/Getty Images)
George Strait performs onstage during Coal Miner's Daughter: A Celebration of the Life & Music of Loretta Lynn at The Grand Ole Opry on October 30, 2022 in Nashville, Tennessee (Jason Kempin/Getty Images)

According to The Blast, a Change.org online petition got more than fifty thousand signatures demanding Bad Bunny be replaced by country singer George Strait.

The petition stated that Strait's music reflects“unity, tradition, and the timeless American music that truly deserves the 2026 Super Bowl spotlight,” and that the event should be traditional American values instead of contemporary pop or politically used.

Fans point to artist's international appeal and US connection

Back in early October, when former race car driver Danica Patrick publicly ridiculed the choice, declaring, “no songs in English should not be allowed”, she came under immediate fire. Fans reminded her that Bad Bunny is American, since Puerto Rico is a US territory.

Bad Bunny attends Columbia Pictures'
Bad Bunny attends Columbia Pictures' 'Caught Stealing' premiere at Regal Union Square on August 26, 2025 in New York City (Dia Dipasupil/Getty Images)

Meanwhile, others stood up for his international appeal, citing his 77 million monthly Spotify listeners as proof of his enormous popularity. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Paul McCartney said The Beatles were nervous but excited for their first US TV appearance because they loved American music
14 hours ago
Stephen Colbert referenced lawsuits by the rights holders of 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' over unauthorized use of the song 'Linus and Lucy'
15 hours ago
Sheryl Underwood backed criticism of a Netflix roast featuring Tony Hinchcliffe and Shane Gillis, saying some jokes sparked strong backlash
15 hours ago
The ‘Princess of Pop’ also behaved bizarrely during the arrest as she invited cops over lasagna
17 hours ago
Christopher Nolan praised Zendaya’s 'grace and poise' while filming intense scenes for ‘The Odyssey'
18 hours ago
Jason Lewis explained that he 'went quiet' not because he had nothing to say, but because he was deeply focused on a creative pursuit
19 hours ago
The video is from March 4 when the pop singer was arrested for allegedly driving “erratically” and almost “sideswip[ing]”
20 hours ago
Zendaya and Tom Holland are currently filming for a new ‘Spider-Man’ project together
20 hours ago
Lupita Nyong’o responded to criticism over her Helen of Troy role, focusing on character depth beyond appearance in Christopher Nolan’s film
21 hours ago
Meghan Markle used Paula Abdul’s song ‘Forever Your Girl’ as she shared a black-and-white throwback photo from her and Prince Harry’s royal wedding
1 day ago