JD Vance, Doug Burgum, and Tom Cotton dismiss reports of being on Trump’s VP shortlist, Internet says 'it's race to the bottom'

'I’ve had conversations with the Trump team, but I’ve not spoken about the vice presidential thing with the president directly', JD Vance said
PUBLISHED JUN 10, 2024
JD Vance, Doug Burgum, and Tom Cotton have downplayed reports of being on Donald Trump’s Vice Presidential shortlist (Getty Images)
JD Vance, Doug Burgum, and Tom Cotton have downplayed reports of being on Donald Trump’s Vice Presidential shortlist (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Senators JD Vance, Tom Cotton, and Governor Doug Burgum of North Dakota have all knocked off reports that they were considered for former President Donald Trump's vice presidential shortlist, according to the New York Post.

As per Fox News, as of last Wednesday, June 5, Burgum, Sen Marco Rubio, and Vance were exchanging documents and undergoing campaign vetting.

JD Vance, Tom Cotton, and Doug Burgum knock off reports of being on VP shortlist

According to the report, Rep Byron Donalds, Sen Tim Scott, Rep Elise Stefanik, and Cotton are also being considered by Trump's team.

Vance told Fox News 'Sunday Morning Futures', "I’ve had some conversations with the Trump team, but I’ve actually not spoken about the vice presidential thing with the president directly."

He added, "Until I do, I sort of assume this is a lot of media speculation. I’ve got an important job for the people of Ohio — the United States Senate — that’s what I’m focused on."

YOUNGSTOWN, OH - SEPTEMBER 17: Ohio Republican Senate Candidate JD Vance speaks to supporters at a S
JD Vance said he has actually not spoken about the vice presidential nomination with Donald Trump directly (Getty Images)

Burgum said, "Well, I know this is a big interest to some folks that are following the process. But I would just defer any questions back to the Trump campaign team."

Moreover, Cotton stated, "I think only one person knows who’s on the short list and that would be President Trump. He’ll make a choice when he’s ready to make that choice. I’m confident he’s going to make a good choice for the ticket and the party, more importantly for the country."

Cotton, who frequently supports a more assertive US foreign policy stance, likewise brushed off any worries that he and Trump could not agree on foreign policy.

WASHINGTON, DC - MARCH 25: Sen. Tom Cotton (R-AR) speaks during a hearing to examine United States S
Tom Cotton brushed off any worries that he and Donald Trump could not agree on foreign policy (Getty Images)

He said, "I think President Trump and I have long been aligned on foreign policy. We both subscribe to what you might say was Ronald Reagan’s vision, which is peace through strength."

The Republican from Arkansas argued that he and Trump share the view that it is necessary to use military action in some situations and that the US should demand greater fairness from its allies, especially its European allies.

Former U.S. President Donald Trump speaks to the media after his trial for allegedly covering up hush money payments at Manhattan Criminal Court on May 20, 2024 in New York City. Trump faces 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in the first of his criminal cases to go to trial. (Photo by Mark Peterson - Pool/Getty Images)
Tom Cotton argued that he and Donald Trump share the view that it is necessary to use military action in some situations (Mark Peterson - Pool/Getty Images)

Notably, Trump has been vague about his preferences, but he has made it clear that his primary criterion is choosing a candidate who would be prepared to take over as commander-in-chief from the start.

Additionally, he has made it clear that he is not unduly concerned about finding someone to help him politically.

When asked about who will be his pick, Trump told TV psychologist Dr Phil McGraw last week, "I can’t yet, but we have some very good people. I’m going to do it at the convention."

Internet shares mixed reactions as probable VP picks knock off rumors

People on the internet shared mixed reactions and stayed divided with their opinions as JD Vance, Tom Cotton, and Doug Burgum of North Dakota have all knocked off reports that they were considered for Trump's vice presidential shortlist.

A user wrote on X, "Trump is a one-term president so he is not only picking the Vice-President but also the next President of the United States for 2028. He must choose extremely wisely," while one added, "No way. It will be Carson or Scott, maybe even Tulsi."



 



 

A person also stated, "Tom Cotton for VP, is my first choice, but any of the three will serve, We The People and The Boss, well," whereas one mentioned, "Now, it's a race to the bottom. The one that lies the most wins."



 



 

A user also wrote, "Hopefully they learned a lesson from Pence...Loyalty to trump comes before your constitutional duty."



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

House Democratic leader blasts GOP for backing ‘uncontrolled’ agency over FEMA, TSA
5 minutes ago
Les Wexner testified that once he learned of both the investigation and missing funds, he severed contact and never spoke to Epstein again
35 minutes ago
Lara Trump said years of campaigning had made politics feel accessible to several relatives, expanding the family's ambition
1 hour ago
Lawmaker demands special prosecutor and full transparency after UN report
1 hour ago
Coalition challenges repeal of greenhouse gas authority and vehicle emissions rules
2 hours ago
The investigation follows earlier fraud findings and growing debt from pandemic jobless aid
2 hours ago
Trump monitors global rules as Lara Trump urges limits on children's screen time
4 hours ago
Maryland Gov Wes Moore responded, noting the spill is 'basically contained' and urging the WH to approve federal funding for flood recovery instead
11 hours ago
JD Vance criticized Fox News polling and said Americans lost income under Joe Biden but gained during Donald Trump’s first year
11 hours ago
Rep Darren Soto accused FCC Chair Brendan Carr of 'reign on unlawful censorship,' and vowed House Energy Committee will investigate
12 hours ago