John Thune defends lack of Venezuela briefing, says Congress struggles with keeping secrets

John Thune claimed that the Trump administration had 'plenty of legal authority' to execute the Venezuela plan without congressional approval
PUBLISHED JAN 6, 2026
John Thune defended the Venezuela strike without congressional approval, arguing that secrecy was vital and Congress struggled to keep operations confidential (@leaderjohnthune/Instagram, Getty Images)
John Thune defended the Venezuela strike without congressional approval, arguing that secrecy was vital and Congress struggled to keep operations confidential (@leaderjohnthune/Instagram, Getty Images)

ATLANTA, GEORGIA: Senate Majority Leader John Thune commented on the ongoing conversation about whether Donald Trump and his administration should have gotten Congressional approval before the military launched a strike against Venezuela and captured Nicolas Maduro.

Thune stated on Monday, January 5, that he didn’t believe that the Trump administration needed Congressional approval and understood why it couldn’t notify Congress beforehand, and admitted that the organization was not the best at keeping secrets.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 10: Senate Majority Leader John Thune (R-SD) speaks during a press conference on the tenth day of a government shutdown at the US Capitol on October 10, 2025 in Washington, DC. The government remains shut down after Congress failed to reach a funding deal last week. (Photo by Anna Rose Layden/Getty Images)
Senate Majority Leader John Thune (R-SD) speaks during a press conference on the tenth day of a government shutdown at the US Capitol on October 10, 2025, in Washington, DC (Anna Rose Layden/Getty Images)

John Thune claims Venezuela strike was ‘America First’

A popular criticism of several Democrats and even Republicans against the Venezuela strike was that it could not be termed as 'America First', part of a popular slogan adopted by Donald Trump himself.

Thune said that he disagreed with the criticism, adding that 'America First' meant protecting American interests and that it was evident that there had been an influx of dangerous illegal substances coming into America from the South.

“I think the administration checked all the boxes, and don’t think there’s anything that they did that is not aligned with what’s been done in the past or in a similar circumstance,” he explained.

President Donald Trump gestures during a meeting of his Cabinet in the Cabinet Room of the White House on December 02, 2025 in Washington, DC. A bipartisan Congressional investigation has begun regarding Secretary of War Pete Hegseth's role in ordering U.S. military strikes on small boats in the waters off Venezuela that have killed scores of people, which Hegseth said are intended
President Donald Trump gestures during a meeting of his Cabinet in the Cabinet Room of the White House on December 02, 2025, in Washington, DC (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Commenting on the legality of the strike and the capture of Nicolas Maduro, Thune said that there was “plenty of legal authority” to execute the plan.

Praising the Trump administration further, he said that they got Maduro to America, who was going to be tried in the US.

John Thune chimes in on Trump wanting America to 'run' Venezuela

The Senate majority leader was also asked about Donald Trump saying that the US would “run” Venezuela now that Maduro had been captured and removed from power.

Thune said that he was going to try to get more information on the matter, adding that he hoped to find out the extent of America’s possible involvement in Venezuelan politics.

Soon after capturing Nicolas Maduro on Saturday, Donald Trump held a press conference in Palm Beach, Florida, where he shared details of the attack and its potential aftermath. 

NEW YORK, NY - JANUARY 5: Nicolas Maduro is seen in handcuffs after landing at a Manhattan helipad, escorted by heavily armed Federal agents as they make their way into an armored car en route to a Federal courthouse in Manhattan on January 5, 2026 in New York City. (Photo by XNY/Star Max/GC Images)
Nicolas Maduro is seen in handcuffs after landing at a Manhattan helipad, escorted by heavily armed Federal agents as they make their way into an armored car en route to a Federal courthouse in Manhattan on January 5, 2026, in New York City (XNY/Star Max/GC Images)

He said that America would be in Venezuela to ensure a proper, judicious, and safe transition of power. He also added that the American oil companies would try to fix the broken infrastructure in the foreign country and start to make money for America. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

US military buildup heightens strike fears as nuclear negotiations near breaking point
15 hours ago
'I believe Iranians are expected to come back to us with some more details in the next couple of weeks', Karoline Leavitt said
15 hours ago
Cardinal Pietro Parolin said the Holy See will not join, stressing that 'at the international level it should above all be the UN that manages these'
21 hours ago
Oman mediates Iran-US nuclear talks as Tehran balances compromise with confrontation
1 day ago
Trump says nations pledge funds, personnel to end Gaza conflict
3 days ago
'We're dealing with people who make political, geopolitical decisions on the basis of pure theology, and it's a complicated thing', Rubio said
3 days ago
Lindsey Graham's remarks on Greenland ownership clashed with concerns inside the party about sovereignty, NATO unity, and long-term Arctic strategy
4 days ago
The secretary of state rejects “managed decline” and urges stronger domestic defenses
4 days ago
Ukraine urges US action as Trump sets summer deadline for peace
5 days ago
USS Gerald R Ford rerouted to join USS Abraham Lincoln strike group amid tensions
5 days ago