Judge rejects Trump's last-ditch bid to delay hush money trial as he seeks change of venue, Internet says 'justice is coming'

Donald Trump's attorneys sought to move the case out of NYC, arguing that he wouldn't be able to get a fair jury in the current venue
Donald Trump's attorneys filed a request to change the location of his hush money trial (Getty Images)
Donald Trump's attorneys filed a request to change the location of his hush money trial (Getty Images)

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK: A New York appeals court judge rejected Donald Trump's last-minute bid to delay his hush money trial during an emergency hearing on Monday, April 8, according to the New York Post.

The former president's attorneys sought to move the case out of Manhattan, arguing that he wouldn't be able to get a fair jury in the current venue. Trump's hush money criminal trial is set to commence on April 15.


 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by Team Trump (@teamtrump)


 

Donald Trump's attorneys have appealed to lift the partial gag order in the hush money case

Apart from the change of venue, Trump's legal team asked the court to lift the partial gag order that prevents the 77-year-old MAGA figurehead from publicly criticizing the judge's family and witnesses, however, New York’s Appellate Division, First Department, has not yet ruled on this appeal.

A source told The Post that it's unlikely that the ex-POTUS' efforts to delay the trial will find any success. 

Previously, Trump's legal team attempted to delay his civil fraud trial utilizing a similar tactic, but their efforts were unsuccessful. Although they were able to temporarily prevent a gag order from being implemented, the decision was eventually overturned.

A ruling on whether the gag order in the hush money case will be temporarily suspended is expected on Tuesday.


 
 
 
 
 
View this post on Instagram
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

A post shared by President Donald J. Trump (@realdonaldtrump)


 

In the meantime, the Manhattan District Attorney's Office, which is prosecuting the case, has accused Trump of attempting to delay the trial by making another bid for Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan to recuse himself.

Prosecutors claim that the former POTUS's request, which was already denied in August 2023, was an "end-run" on the gag order by continuing to allege that Merchan has a conflict of interest due to his daughter's history of working with Democrats.

They stated, "The motion is yet another last-ditch attempt to address [Trump’s] real objective, which is … to delay this proceeding indefinitely." 

Internet furious as Donald Trump attempts to postpone his trial

One remarked, "He appeals everything that does not go his way. Just a delay tactic," and another wrote, "That's all they do, appeal and delay."

A person expressed, "When there's no defense….delay," while someone else added, "Time for Trump to face the charges - no more delays."

"This guilty guy take any delay he can. Lock him up," exclaimed an individual. One more opined, "This is what you can do when you can appeal everything with donor money. Rich guy justice." 

Another person declared, "Justice is coming."



 



 



 



 



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

John Kennedy said Donald Trump’s endorsement of Julia Letlow sealed Bill Cassidy’s fate in Louisiana
27 minutes ago
Trump amplified viral posts tying Democratic leaders to immigration failures, crime concerns, and court backlash
45 minutes ago
Chris Van Hollen questioned whether Patel’s future testimony can be trusted
46 minutes ago
Thousands gathered on the National Mall on Sunday, May 17, for the daylong event billed as a 'rededication of our country as One Nation to God'
1 hour ago
Kentucky's 4th District GOP race became the costliest primary in US history, fueled by millions in ad spending
7 hours ago
House Speaker Mike Johnson tied rising fuel prices to the Strait of Hormuz instability as Iran conflict disruptions rattled global oil flows
8 hours ago
MacDonough says security funding falls under 60-vote threshold, Merkley office says
9 hours ago
The case centered on an Instagram photo James Comey posted showing seashells spelling '86 47', a slang tied to removing a president
10 hours ago
Trump expected to drop $10B IRS lawsuit in exchange for $1.776B fund
10 hours ago
Iran reportedly wants economic relief and recognition of key interests before major concessions
10 hours ago