Karoline Leavitt pushes back as ABC reporter challenges East Wing renovation plans

Karoline Leavitt explained that the East Wing rebuild followed expert advice to ensure long-term stability and modernization of the historic structure
 Karoline Leavitt discussed updates to the East Wing project during the daily White House press briefing in Washington DC (Getty Images)
Karoline Leavitt discussed updates to the East Wing project during the daily White House press briefing in Washington DC (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt addressed questions on Thursday, October 23, about the ongoing construction at the White House complex after aerial images showed that the East Wing had been taken down as part of the modernization plan announced earlier this year.

During the daily press briefing, ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Mary Bruce asked for clarification on the timing and communication surrounding the decision, referencing the president’s earlier remarks in July that the renovation would not affect the main mansion.

Leavitt explained that the changes were made after consulting architects and construction teams to ensure the long-term stability and modernization of the historic building.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt speaks during the daily news briefing at the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House on October 23, 2025 in Washington, DC. (Alex Wong/Getty Images)
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt spoke during the daily news briefing at the James Brady Press Briefing Room in Washington DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Karoline Leavitt details reasons for East Wing changes

When asked why the administration did not announce that the East Wing would be rebuilt, Leavitt said, “With any construction project, changes come. And we have informed all of you. We’ve been keeping you apprised of this project. We’ve shown you the renderings. And if you look at the renderings, it’s very clear the East Wing was going to be modernized.”

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 20: Workers demolish the facade of the East Wing of the White House on October 20, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a ballroom reportedly costing $250 million on the eastern side of the White House. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Workers demolished the facade of the East Wing of the White House on October 20, 2025 in Washington DC as part of the modernization project (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Bruce replied that “modernizing and tearing down are two different things.”

Leavitt clarified that the updated plan came after professional recommendations. “The plans changed when the president heard counsel from the architects and the construction companies who said that in order for this East Wing to be modern and beautiful for many, many years to come, for it to be a truly strong and stable structure, this phase one that we’re now in was necessary,” she said

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt speaks during the daily news briefing at the James Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House on October 23, 2025 in Washington, DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt addressed reporters during the daily briefing at the James Brady Press Briefing Room in Washington DC (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

She added, “The president wants to do right by the people’s house. And so that’s exactly what he’s doing. It’s going to be much more stable, strong, secure, and more beautiful than ever once it’s complete.”

When asked if the offices of the First Lady and the Social Secretary would return to their original locations after completion, Leavitt confirmed, “Yes.”

Project aims to modernize and expand event capacity

According to the White House, the current work is part of a broader plan to build a new 25,000-square-foot ballroom to host major state events and official gatherings. The East Wing area, which traditionally houses the First Lady’s staff, is being redeveloped with about 90,000 square feet of new and modernized space.

WASHINGTON, DC - OCTOBER 15: U.S. President Donald Trump holds a model of an arch as he delivers remarks during a ballroom fundraising dinner in the East Room of the White House on October 15, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump hosted organizations and individuals for a fundraising dinner for the new $250 million ballroom addition currently under construction at the White House. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump held a model of an arch during a ballroom fundraising dinner in the East Room of the White House on October 15, 2025 (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Renderings released in July show a design that aligns with the existing architecture while upgrading facilities for long-term durability and security. The project represents the most significant structural update to the White House since President Harry Truman’s renovation in 1948.

President Donald Trump addressed the development earlier this week on Truth Social, noting that the East Wing is “completely separate from the White House itself” and “is being fully modernized as part of this process.” He added that it “will be more beautiful than ever when it is complete.”

U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks during a ballroom fundraising dinner in the East Room of the White House on October 15, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump hosted organizations and individuals for a fundraising dinner for the new $250 million ballroom addition currently under construction at the White House.
President Donald Trump delivered remarks during a ballroom fundraising dinner in the East Room of the White House on October 15, 2025 (Getty Images)

Leavitt reiterated that the administration’s goal is to preserve the integrity of the nation’s most historic residence while ensuring it meets modern standards. “The president wants the people’s house to stand stronger and more secure for generations to come,” she said.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Loomer’s strongest objection was directed at the suggestion that Harp and Trump are romantically involved
6 minutes ago
The suspect was also reportedly refused service at a Dunkin’ while wearing the unusual mask
49 minutes ago
English acknowledged that he had traveled to Washington with the intention of killing a government official
2 hours ago
Zimmerman rejected the suggestion that the blow happened merely as part of a struggle with security
3 hours ago
The store, described as a family-owned operation, was left dealing with the consequences after the crowd departed
5 hours ago
Disney has sued the FCC over early ABC license reviews, alleging retaliation by the Trump administration and warning that scrutiny is affecting political programming
5 hours ago
An 11-year-old boy criticized Donald Trump and referenced Jeffrey Epstein as he explained his anger toward the president in the widely shared footage
11 hours ago
'Hes with me every day even when I’m not thinking about him, he’s certainly part of my heart,' Jill Biden shared
12 hours ago
Melania Trump’s diplomatic outreach has focused on children separated from loved ones during the Russia-Ukraine war, using back-channel communication
13 hours ago
Hunter Tirpak stole the spotlight at Donald Trump’s 2016 Pennsylvania rally after arriving dressed as a miniature Trump and being picked up by him
14 hours ago