LA mayor compares 2025 anti-ICE unrest to Lakers victory disturbances: ‘A few knuckleheads’

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass said the 2025 anti-ICE protests were not riots, comparing clashes and vandalism to post–Los Angeles Lakers celebrations
Karen Bass said sending National Guard troops to anti-ICE protests was an overreaction, likening the unrest to Los Angeles Lakers celebrations (Screenshot/At Our Table with Jamie Harrison/Youtube)
Karen Bass said sending National Guard troops to anti-ICE protests was an overreaction, likening the unrest to Los Angeles Lakers celebrations (Screenshot/At Our Table with Jamie Harrison/Youtube)


LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass is defending her city, saying that the anti-ICE protests from 2025 were not actually riots.

She compared the vandalism and fights with police of the protesters to the rowdy behavior often seen after the Los Angeles Lakers win a basketball championship.

Karen Bass dismisses riot claims as ‘a few knuckleheads’

Appearing on the latest episode of 'At Our Table with Jamie Harrison,' on Tuesday, January 6, Mayor Karen Bass spoke about the situation of anti-ICE protests that occurred last year in her city.

She argued that the arrival of the “4000 National Guard troops and 700 Marines” was an overreaction to what she saw as a small group of troublemakers.

She told the host, "Nothing was going on. OK, we have some protests. You want to know the protests, in my opinion, equaled a Lakers championship."

She explained that the damage was caused by a few people rather than the whole crowd, saying, "You know what happens after a championship right? A few knuckleheads hang around. They're drunk, they start vandalizing things. There was no riot here."

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass speaks at a press conference with immigrant community leaders outside a Home Depot on September 8, 2025 in Los Angeles, California. Bass and other leaders denounced today’s Supreme Court ruling lifting an injunction which limited federal immigration raids. (Mario Tama/Getty Images)
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass speaks at a press conference with immigrant community leaders outside a Home Depot on September 8, 2025 in Los Angeles, California. Bass and other leaders denounced today’s Supreme Court ruling lifting an injunction which limited federal immigration raids (Mario Tama/Getty Images)

Officers and White House reject mayor’s narrative

The Los Angeles Police Protective League, representing Los Angeles police officers, strongly disagreed with the Mayor’s comparison.

They pointed to the physical evidence of burned cars and injured officers as proof that the events were indeed riots.

In a statement to Fox News Digital, the union leaders said, "We disagree with anyone who characterizes the numerous times these protests turned into riots."

They added, "All one has to do is look at the videos of the Waymo vehicles destroyed, the CHP car set on fire, the vandalism of property, looting of businesses and injuries to police officers to call that criminal behavior what it was, a riot." 

Furthermore, the White House also criticized the Mayor, with spokesperson Abigail Jackson saying, "All of America saw the violent rioters destroying Los Angeles and assaulting law enforcement officers. Karen’s lies can’t change the truth."



Small protest area didn’t warrant troops, says Karen Bass

The protests originally started because people were angry about the Trump administration’s crackdown on illegal immigration.

While places like Paramount and Compton saw fires and vandalism, Mayor Bass argued that the trouble was limited to a very small area of about one square mile. 

She questioned why so many soldiers were needed for such a small space, asking, "That majority of the city didn't even know anything was happening. That warrants 4,000 troops?"

Eventually, in December, a federal judge ordered the government to give control of the National Guard back to the state governor, ending the military's role in the immigration protests.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Vanessa Trump said the news was unexpected, but emphasized that she is working closely with her doctors on a treatment plan
6 hours ago
White House posts dramatic ‘enemies neutralized’ graphic featuring Trump with Maduro, Khamenei and Castro.
8 hours ago
Robert De Niro drew applause during a questionnaire segment on Stephen Colbert’s show with a political joke about Trump and Epstein files
9 hours ago
Jeff Bezos claimed New York City school funding is not reaching teachers despite high per-student costs
9 hours ago
Donald Trump claimed Jesus would’ve helped him win California while attacking the state’s voting system
10 hours ago
Bystander Rhonda Shearer called the open manhole dangerous, while her son Jade said the partially open cover could have been fixed
10 hours ago
Marco Rubio is not from Cuba. He was born in Miami, Florida, to Cuban immigrants
11 hours ago
A White House spokesperson called Maines a “despicable nobody,” reigniting debate over the singer’s long history of political controversy
13 hours ago
Trump also said that before he took charge, the Reflecting Pool 'leaked from all angles, drew dirt, grime, and decay, was often filled with garbage'
13 hours ago
Prosecutors alleged Carmen Lineberger disguised confidential Justice Department files as 'Bundt_Cake_Recipe.pdf' emails
13 hours ago