Mar-a-Lago shooting: Former FBI boss Dan Bongino hints Secret Service may not handle this probe

“Breaching the property with a gas can and a shotgun, it appears the intent seems built in,” Dan Bongino told Fox News anchors
PUBLISHED 1 HOUR AGO
Former FBI director Dan  Bongino talked about the expected future course of investigation in the Mar-a-Lago shooting (Getty Images)
Former FBI director Dan Bongino talked about the expected future course of investigation in the Mar-a-Lago shooting (Getty Images)

PALM BEACH, FLORIDA: After a fatal shooting at Mar-a-Lago early Sunday, February 22, former Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) director Dan Bongino suggested the investigation would not be handled solely by the Secret Service.

Speaking after authorities confirmed a man in his 20s was shot and killed following what was described as an unauthorized breach of the resort’s secure perimeter, Bongino pointed to longstanding protocol governing incidents involving federal protective details.



Bongino says 'you wouldn’t want the Secret Service investigating themselves'

Bongino, while speaking to Fox News, said the transition of investigative authority is standard.

“The FBI has...a Memorandum of Understanding with the Secret Service, where the FBI will take over the crime scene in a scenario like this for obvious reasons,” he explained.

“If there were, and I’m not suggesting at all this is the case, but if there were some security lapses that required an investigation later, you wouldn’t want the Secret Service investigating themselves and vice versa.”

He added that the agencies generally coordinate in advance. Secret Service personnel secure and preserve the scene, and then the FBI assumes investigative control.

“We’ll generally take over the crime scene. There’s usually a smooth transition,” Bongino said. “From this point, we’ll all be sitting and watching as all the facts emerge.”



Dan Bongino says Mar-a-Lago 'extremely secure'

Bongino described the property as “an extremely secure area,” noting that significant technological upgrades had been made over the years, particularly on the north side.

“Breaching the property with a gas can and a shotgun, it appears the intent seems built in,” he said.

He also explained that deadly force requires “a fear of serious physical injury or death,” adding that early reporting about the presence of a weapon “seems to indicate the obvious reason why.”



Still, he raised questions about how the individual approached the perimeter.

“It’s not the area where you can just roam around,” Bongino said, noting that movement on certain sides of the property would immediately stand out. “That’s why I’m curious, was there a backpack involved? Was there some security footage that may have been following this guy sooner?”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Scott Jennings used Trump heeding to the Supreme Court's decision to counter Democrats claiming that court is 'a wholly owned subsidiary of Donald Trump'
2 hours ago
Tucker Carlson said of the letter he received from Isaac Herzog: 'Rarely do you get a denial this unequivocal'
3 hours ago
Maher disputes Trump’s claims about their White House dinner, including his alleged nervousness and drink order
12 hours ago
Sen John Fetterman agreed that tariffs do 'have some leverage' and that Trump is entitled to have that on 'someone like China'
20 hours ago
The confrontation began when Leland Vittert referenced Stansbury’s social media remark: 'If a Prince can be held accountable, so can a President'
22 hours ago
Scott Jennings asked, 'This the Democratic position for 26? That there are no illegal aliens that should be deported?'
1 day ago
Gutfeld also took aim at liberal media coverage of the Supreme Court, accusing outlets of misleading the public about the ideological leanings of the justices
1 day ago
Michael Malice clashed with Joe Rogan over migrant aid, rejecting job plans and warning against taking American citizens’ jobs
1 day ago
Rachel Campos-Duffy said 'Explain to me why I should risk my military-aged boys potentially going into another war in the Middle East'
1 day ago
'We're going to war with Iran and that Donald Trump is still trying to downplay the Epstein files', Tim Pool stated
1 day ago