Marc Benioff urges Trump to send National Guard to San Francisco: ‘I fully support the president’

Marc Benioff said the San Francisco Police Department, which has about 1,500 officers, should be doubled to improve safety in the city
PUBLISHED OCT 12, 2025
Marc Benioff said San Francisco will soon have cops on every corner and praised President Donald Trump, saying he’s doing a great job (Arturo Holmes/Getty Images)
Marc Benioff said San Francisco will soon have cops on every corner and praised President Donald Trump, saying he’s doing a great job (Arturo Holmes/Getty Images)

SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA: Billionaire Marc Benioff has called on President Donald Trump to deploy the National Guard to San Francisco during an interview with The New York Times on Friday, October 10.

Benioff, who owns Time magazine and is the CEO of megacorp Salesforce, suggested that he wants more federal law enforcement in the city before his annual Dreamforce conference.

Marc Benioff backs Trump, calls for stronger policing

WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 06: National Guard members deploy near the White House as peaceful protests ar
National Guard members deploy near the White House (Getty Images)

“We don’t have enough cops, so if [the National Guard] can be cops, I’m all for it,” said the Silicon Valley power player while flying in his private plane.

The New York Times reported that Benioff has to pay for hundreds of off-duty law enforcement officers to patrol the convention area during the Dreamforce conference, further stating that the liberal bastion needed to “re-fund” the police.

Benioff suggested that the San Francisco Police Department, which has about 1,500 police officers, needs to be doubled.

“You’ll see. When you walk through San Francisco next week, there will be cops on every corner,” he said. “That’s how it used to be.” According to the outlet, over the course of a nearly hour-long conversation, the tech CEO repeatedly praised President Trump. “I fully support the president,” he said. “I think he’s doing a great job.”   

Marc Benioff donates $1 billion to San Francisco charities

Marc Benioff. (@Benioff/X)
Marc Benioff said San Francisco will soon have cops on every corner and praised President Donald Trump, saying he’s doing a great job (@Benioff/X)

Trump and Benioff have grown closer recently, with the president inviting him to the state dinner hosted by King Charles at Windsor Castle last month. The two sat across from each other, with Benioff recounting how he repeatedly expressed to Trump “how grateful I am for everything he’s doing.”

“I don’t think anyone has hired more people or given more money or supported San Francisco more than I have,” Benioff said, boasting about donating more than $1 billion to Bay Area charities, colleges, and causes over the last quarter century. 

San Francisco officials slam Marc Benioff for National Guard remarks

Benioff’s remarks drew backlash from several politicians who opposed his call for the National Guard to be sent to the city.

San Francisco Supervisor Myrna Melgar told The New York Times that Benioff’s request “threw me for a loop.” “But with Marc Benioff, it’s particularly disappointing. It’s definitely out of step and out of touch with what most San Franciscans would want,” Melgar told The Times.

San Francisco District Attorney Brooke Jenkins criticized the comments more sharply. Taking to X (formerly Twitter), he wrote, “I can’t be silent any longer. @KristiNoem and @realDonaldTrump have turned so-called public safety and immigration enforcement into a form of government sponsored violence against US citizens, families, and ethnic groups.”



 

“Let me be clear. If you come to San Francisco and illegally harass our residents, use excessive force, or cross any other boundaries that the law proscribes, I will not hesitate to do my job and hold you accountable just like I do other violators of the law every single day,” Jenkins concluded in the thread.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already,' Robert De Niro said about Donald Trump’s intentions
6 hours ago
Conversations paused as diners watched the brief rendition, which ended with applause and quickly became a highlight of the evening
7 hours ago
Melania Trump's 2026 ensemble differed from her 2025 look, when she chose a black tuxedo styled with pieces from Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana
8 hours ago
JD Vance described his wife Usha as someone who 'just wants to give her kids a good life and wants to be as good of a public servant as possible'
9 hours ago
The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
21 hours ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
1 day ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
1 day ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
1 day ago
Melania Trump called her inaugural gown 'modern, bold, simple, and dignified,' saying it reflects decades of experience and craftsmanship
1 day ago
The Trump-Kennedy Center canceled Le Patin Libre’s show after a toxic chemical attack and handed footage to police for investigation
1 day ago