'Meritocracy reigns supreme': Hegseth’s Pentagon fires back after Mark Kelly’s race and gender claims

Pete Hegseth’s department defended leadership decisions as Mark Kelly cited the removal of senior military officials during the Pentagon shake-up
Pentagon officials said military promotions and leadership decisions had been based on merit after Mark Kelly’s claims (Getty Images)
Pentagon officials said military promotions and leadership decisions had been based on merit after Mark Kelly’s claims (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Pentagon on Thursday, July 30, rejected allegations by Senator Mark Kelly that Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth targeted women and Black military officers because of their race or gender, saying personnel decisions are based solely on merit.

The response came after the Arizona Democrat accused Hegseth of repeatedly removing senior leaders from top positions because of their identities, warning that the moves could have lasting consequences for military leadership. Pentagon officials disputed those claims, saying race and gender play no role in promotion or appointment decisions.

Pentagon defends merit-based military promotions after Kelly’s claims

Kelly, a retired Navy captain and member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, made the allegations during an interview with journalist Katie Couric, claiming Hegseth had repeatedly removed women and Black officers from senior military positions.



"They also fire women, and they fire Black people because of their gender and the color of their skin," Kelly said. "They've done that repeatedly. They don't even try to make excuses about it. They just fire them."

Responding to the remarks, the Pentagon pointed to previous statements from Chief Pentagon Spokesman Sean Parnell and Acting Pentagon Press Secretary Joel Valdez, both of whom rejected the suggestion that identity influences promotion decisions.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth speaks to members of the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, Thursday, March 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had spoken to members of the media during a Pentagon press briefing in Washington (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

"As we've said before, military promotions are given to those who have earned them. The Department will never consider the color of a service member's skin or their gender as a factor in promotions," Parnell said. "Under President Trump and Secretary of War, Hegseth, meritocracy reigns supreme at the War Department."

Valdez also reiterated the administration’s position, writing previously that, "Here's the bottom line: anyone who has an issue with merit-based promotions should reconsider their values. Promotions based solely on race and gender is wrong."

Kelly cites Pentagon leadership changes under Hegseth

Kelly argued that recent personnel decisions under Hegseth, including the removal of former Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen CQ Brown and Adm. Lisa Franchetti, the first woman to serve as Chief of Naval Operations, reflected what he described as a broader pattern of sidelining senior leaders based on race or gender.

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 25: Sen. Mark Kelly (D-AZ) speaks with media in the U.S. Capitol on February 25, 2026 in Washington, DC. Kelly attended President Donald Trump's State of the Union despite other Democrats boycotting. (Photo by Heather Diehl/Getty Images)
Sen Mark Kelly had spoken with media members at the US Capitol in Washington, DC, in February 2026 (Heather Diehl/Getty Images)

He warned that such decisions could discourage talented officers from remaining in military service.

"We're losing a generation of leaders because there will be women and Black people that'll say, 'Well, I don't feel like I have opportunity here anymore. I'm just going to leave mid-career instead of staying.' So, we'll lose some of our best people," Kelly said.

Brown was dismissed by President Donald Trump shortly after taking office in 2025, while Hegseth also sought replacements for Franchetti, Air Force Vice Chief Gen. Jim Slife and the judge advocates general of the Army, Navy and Air Force as part of a broader restructuring of Pentagon leadership

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth speaks at the Shield of the Americas Summit, Saturday, March 7, 2026, at Trump National Doral Miami in Doral, Fla. (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell)
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had addressed attendees at the Shield of the Americas Summit in Florida (AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell)

The exchange came a week after two former military officers anonymously alleged that Hegseth forced them into early retirement after they questioned his directives. They claimed the defense secretary had sidelined experienced military leaders who challenged his decisions. However, the Pentagon dismissed those allegations as "completely false."

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Missouri Republicans pushed through a new map under Donald Trump’s pressure, aiming to boost GOP power and target Democratic Rep Emanuel Cleaver
52 minutes ago
Sean Duffy’s remarks came after a judge dismissed the Trump administration’s lawsuit against Harvard over alleged antisemitic harassment
1 hour ago
Two sources said Jennifer Hegseth wanted to revoke credentials of reporters she believed had published negative stories about Pete Hegseth
1 hour ago
The debt has since doubled to $40 trillion as the Trump admin faces higher military spending tied to the Iran war and tariff refunds, adding to continued federal borrowing
2 hours ago
Mitch McConnell, 84, has been absent since his June 14 hospitalization and was discharged from rehab on August 6 to recover at home
3 hours ago
Natalie Harp delayed her SF-86 security-clearance paperwork despite extensions until Donald Trump personally intervened, prompting its submission
4 hours ago
President Trump said America's energy surge weakened Hormuz's leverage as a covert US operation reportedly kept millions of barrels moving
9 hours ago
Fed officials say stubborn inflation may force the central bank to raise rates, putting renewed pressure on borrowers and the economy
10 hours ago
Melania Trump is expected Thursday at a Rose Garden event after weeks out of public view
11 hours ago
'We don't believe we have to go to Congress. We believe Congress has already given us the authority to do what we’re doing', Todd Blanche said
12 hours ago