Pentagon quietly revises Iran war casualty count as US wounded total surpasses 600

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth faced renewed scrutiny after updated records restored omitted deaths and significantly raised the US wounded toll
The Pentagon updated its Iran war casualty database, restoring omitted service members and adding more than 140 wounded troops (Getty Images)
The Pentagon updated its Iran war casualty database, restoring omitted service members and adding more than 140 wounded troops (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Pentagon updated its official casualty database on Saturday, July 25, restoring four US service members to its Iran war death toll and adding more than 140 additional wounded troops, bringing the total number of injured service members above 600.

The revisions came days after lawmakers and media outlets questioned why casualty figures had fluctuated in the Defense Casualty Analysis System (DCAS), prompting calls for greater clarity on how the department was reporting losses. 

Pentagon updates Iran war casualty records after scrutiny over shifting figures

According to the updated Defense Casualty Analysis System, 18 US service members have now been recorded as killed and 624 wounded since the United States launched military operations against Iran on February 28.

The latest update restores four troops whose deaths had disappeared from the database earlier in the week while increasing the number of wounded by more than 140 from previously reported totals.



The revisions followed widespread attention after the Pentagon's casualty tracker briefly reduced the official death toll from 18 to 14 even as military operations continued. Three military officials told The New York Times that the four service members were removed because their deaths occurred after President Donald Trump declared a ceasefire, effectively treating the conflict as separate phases.



The Pentagon, however, attributed the changes to "temporary data disruptions" affecting the DCAS website. Acting Pentagon press secretary Joel Valdez said the department was working to resolve the "site anomalies" and remained committed to ensuring accurate casualty reporting.

New Iran war casualty category draws scrutiny from lawmakers

Alongside the revised figures, the Pentagon introduced a new category labeled "Overseas Operations" for personnel killed and wounded beginning July 7.

Although the database does not identify which conflict the category covers, the list of fatalities includes the three Army soldiers killed in Jordan in an Iranian strike, as well as a soldier who died in northern Iraq during a controlled detonation of an Iranian drone.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth speaks to members of the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, Thursday, March 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke during a press briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, DC (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

The July 7 start date aligns with the date cited by the Trump administration in its War Powers notification to Congress, which argued that a renewed conflict with Iran had begun following the collapse of an earlier ceasefire.

The changes have also drawn scrutiny on Capitol Hill. Twelve Democratic members of the Senate Armed Services Committee sent a letter to Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth seeking an explanation for the shifting casualty figures. 

WASHINGTON, DC - NOVEMBER 18: Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) speaks to the media outside the U.S. Capitol on November 18, 2025 in Washington, DC. The House is currently voting on legislation that instructs the U.S. Department of Justice to release all files related to the late accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein. (Photo by Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images)
Rep Thomas Massie spoke to reporters outside the US Capitol in Washington, DC (Roberto Schmidt/Getty Images)

Rep Adam Smith said Congress had not received complete casualty statistics, while Rep Thomas Massie, meanwhile, accused the administration of creating the appearance of two separate conflicts to justify the revised figures.



"The Pentagon is pretending there have been two Iran wars separated by a brief cease-fire," Massie wrote on X. "@SecWar IS BREAKING THE LAW and must be held accountable."

The administration's interpretation of the War Powers Resolution also remains under debate. During a recent Senate hearing, Senator Lisa Murkowski said she was concerned that restarting the conflict's timeline could allow the administration to avoid seeking congressional authorization for continued military operations.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump appears in no hurry to replace Leavitt, despite allies pushing their preferred candidates, as he has already mapped out how the job will be handled
3 minutes ago
Trump repeatedly told CNN reporter Kristen Holmes to be quiet after she pressed him on North Korea, triggering a White House rebuke
22 minutes ago
Bill Maher called Iran a regime that killed thousands, contrasting it with President Donald Trump, who he said was 'nowhere near as bad'
38 minutes ago
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged several texts with someone claiming to be Wiles
1 hour ago
Sen Jon Ossoff criticized Trump's relationship with longtime aide Natalie Harp, accusing him of choosing to 'travel with Natalie' over doing his job
2 hours ago
Trump cited his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un for opposing the drills and said South Korea declined his request to help denuclearize Iran
4 hours ago
Trump had previously threatened to 'blow up' Oman if it didn't 'behave', and days earlier said he could claim the Strait of Hormuz as US territory
4 hours ago
Trump confirmed direct contact with IRGC as negotiations stall, while demanding Tehran surrender and declining to set a timeline for a deal
4 hours ago
The justices have now closed off another route in Trump’s $5 million Carroll case, while a separate $83 million appeal remains ahead
4 hours ago
Donald Trump scaled back US-South Korea drills, saying he was 'not happy' with participation due to his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un
13 hours ago