Thomas Massie says Hegseth 'broke the law' after Pentagon removes 4 US troops from Iran death toll

Rep Thomas Massie challenged the Pentagon's casualty reporting and questioned the legality of continued Iran operations under Pete Hegseth
Thomas Massie accused Pete Hegseth of violating war powers rules over ongoing Iran operations (AP Photo, Getty Images)
Thomas Massie accused Pete Hegseth of violating war powers rules over ongoing Iran operations (AP Photo, Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Pentagon's official casualty tracker removed four American service members from its Iran war death count this week, changing the total from 18 to 14 just days after a dignified transfer for those same four troops at Dover Air Force Base, where President Trump was present.

Rep. Thomas Massie, R-Ky., seized on the discrepancy Thursday, accusing Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth of "breaking the law" by continuing military operations in Iran without congressional authorization.

Pentagon explains change in Iran war casualty count

The Defense Casualty Analysis System showed 18 killed as of Wednesday. By Thursday, the number had fallen to 14, even though no new information had emerged suggesting those four service members had not died in the conflict.



Three military officials told The New York Times the change reflected a deliberate decision to exclude the four troops because their deaths occurred after Trump declared a ceasefire with Iran in April, effectively treating the war as two separate conflicts divided by the brief truce.

Pentagon acting press secretary Joel Valdez offered a different explanation, telling The New York Times the shift stemmed from "temporary data disruptions" and "anomalies" on the website that would soon be corrected.

In a statement posted to X, a Pentagon spokesperson said, "The Department of War is aware of temporary data disruptions on the Defense Casualty Analysis System (DCAS) website.

President Donald Trump, left, and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, second left, attend a dignified transfer Wednesday, July 22, 2026, at Dover Air Force Base, Del. (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)
President Donald Trump and Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth attended a dignified transfer ceremony at Dover Air Force Base (AP Photo/Julia Demaree Nikhinson)

These site anomalies are currently being resolved in coordination with the Military Services," adding that the department "remain[s] committed to ensuring the utmost accuracy of all casualty reporting."

Data reviewed separately by CNN has shown recurring delays in DCAS updates, with a Pentagon official previously noting it "can take several days or even weeks" for deaths and injuries to be fully documented, though the same official maintained the database is "regularly updated."

Thomas Massie calls Pentagon casualty change an 'absurd ruse'

"Let me explain this absurd ruse," Massie wrote on X.



"The Pentagon is pretending there have been two Iran wars separated by a brief cease-fire."

"The reality," he explained, is that "by going more than 90 days without congressional authorization @SecWar IS BREAKING THE LAW and must be held accountable."

Under the War Powers Resolution of 1973, a president must end unauthorized military action within 60 days, with up to 30 additional days to withdraw forces, unless Congress declares war or otherwise authorizes the operation.

The war began Feb. 28, a ceasefire took hold in April, and fighting resumed in June, with strikes continuing since.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth speaks to members of the media during a press briefing at the Pentagon in Washington, Thursday, March 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth spoke during a Pentagon briefing in Washington (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)

Lawmakers challenge Trump administration's Iran war powers

Massie was joined Thursday by fellow Republican Representatives Brian Fitzpatrick, Tom Barrett, and Warren Davidson.

They crossed party lines to support a resolution that limits Trump’s war powers.

The House passed it for the second time, with a vote of 214 to 208.

NPR's Claudia Grisales mentioned that the resolution is not legally binding but serves as a symbolic rebuke of the administration's ongoing military action.

WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 04: U.S. Rep. Thomas Massie (R-KY) leaves a House Republican caucus meeting at the U.S. Capitol on June 04, 2025 in Washington, DC. The Republicans met following the passage of the budget reconciliation bill. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Rep Thomas Massie left a House Republican caucus meeting at the US Capitol in Washington DC (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

AA separate resolution, which would have required an end to the war, failed in the Senate later Thursday. It fell short with a vote of 47 to 49. Even if it had passed, it would still have been subject to a presidential veto.

Retired Lt. Gen. Ben Hodges criticized the administration's overall handling of casualty transparency, saying the Pentagon under Hegseth has struggled "being honest about what is going on."

The criticism gained fresh attention after the same four troops whose remains Trump personally welcomed home at Dover were, within days, removed from the government's public count of the war's toll.

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Jared Kushner and Benjamin Netanyahu agreed to create working groups on Hamas' disarmament and Gaza's humanitarian crisis after four hours of talks
19 minutes ago
'The Strait is open, oil prices are coming down, and they will continue to come down unless we decide to do something far more drastic', Trump said
44 minutes ago
Trump appears in no hurry to replace Leavitt, despite allies pushing their preferred candidates, as he has already mapped out how the job will be handled
1 hour ago
Trump repeatedly told CNN reporter Kristen Holmes to be quiet after she pressed him on North Korea, triggering a White House rebuke
1 hour ago
Bill Maher called Iran a regime that killed thousands, contrasting it with President Donald Trump, who he said was 'nowhere near as bad'
1 hour ago
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham exchanged several texts with someone claiming to be Wiles
2 hours ago
Sen Jon Ossoff criticized Trump's relationship with longtime aide Natalie Harp, accusing him of choosing to 'travel with Natalie' over doing his job
3 hours ago
Trump cited his 'very good relationship' with Kim Jong-un for opposing the drills and said South Korea declined his request to help denuclearize Iran
5 hours ago
Trump had previously threatened to 'blow up' Oman if it didn't 'behave', and days earlier said he could claim the Strait of Hormuz as US territory
5 hours ago
Trump confirmed direct contact with IRGC as negotiations stall, while demanding Tehran surrender and declining to set a timeline for a deal
5 hours ago