Mike Johnson slams upcoming anti-Trump ‘No Kings’ protest as a 'Hate America rally'

The event, planned for October 18 at the National Mall, was described by Mike Johnson as a 'Hate America rally'
PUBLISHED OCT 11, 2025
Speaker Mike Johnson criticized the upcoming ‘No Kings’ rally and targeted Democrats over their support for the event (@wxyzdetroit/X, @maddenifico/X)
Speaker Mike Johnson criticized the upcoming ‘No Kings’ rally and targeted Democrats over their support for the event (@wxyzdetroit/X, @maddenifico/X)


 

WASHINGTON, DC: House Speaker Mike Johnson on Friday, October 10, voiced strong opposition to the upcoming “No Kings” protest march. The event, planned for October 18 at the National Mall, was described by Johnson as a “hate America rally.”

During an interview with Fox News, Johnson claimed that “some of the House Democrats are selling T-shirts for the event.” He said that although he considers himself a “very patient guy,” the ongoing situation has left him increasingly frustrated.

Johnson’s comments quickly drew criticism from several Democrats, who came to the defense of the protest movement. They noted that the group’s first large-scale demonstration had been peaceful and centered on defending democratic principles.


WASHINGTON, DC - JUNE 26: U.S. Speaker of the House Rep. Mike Johnson (R-LA) speaks as (L-R) House Majority Leader Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA) and House Republican Conference Chair Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) listen at the headquarters of the Republican National Committee on June 26, 2024 in Washington, DC. House GOP leadership held a news briefing after a House Republican Conference meeting. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)
Speaker of the House Rep Mike Johnson (R-LA) speaks as (L-R) House Majority Leader Rep Steve Scalise (R-LA) and House Republican Conference Chair Rep Elise Stefanik (R-NY) listen at the headquarters of the Republican National Committee on June 26, 2024 in Washington, DC. House GOP leadership held a news briefing after a House Republican Conference meeting (Alex Wong/Getty Images)

Mike Johnson slams 'No Kings' protest march

During the interview, Johnson appeared visibly irritated. He called the protest "planned" and said it is a“hate America” rally that he claimed would attract supporters of Hamas and members of Antifa.

“They’re all coming out,” he said. He continued, “We’re so angry about it. I’m a very patient guy, but I’ve had it with these people. They’re playing games with real people’s lives. The theory we have right now: They have a ‘Hate America’ rally scheduled for October 18 on the National Mall."

He continued, "Some of the House Democrats are selling T-shirts for the event. And it’s being told to us that they won’t be able to reopen the government until after that rally because they can’t face their rabid base. It’s all the pro-Hamas wing and the antifa people - they’re all coming out. This is serious business hurting real people. I’m beyond words.”



 

Even representative Tom Emmer, another senior House Republican, also criticized the planned protest, blaming it for prolonging the government shutdown. Speaking to reporters, he said that Democrats had “caved to the terrorist wing of their party” and referred to it as a “hate America rally in DC next week.”

So far, more than 2,000 protests are expected to take place nationwide, as per Indivisible Guide Facebook page. Even actor Robert De Niro has voiced his support, urging citizens to join the demonstrations and mockingly referring to the president as “Donald Trump the First.”

Organizers respond to Mike Johnson’s comments regarding 'No King' rally

In response to Speaker Johnson’s remarks, organizers of the upcoming “No Kings” rally dismissed his claims, saying they had “a few moments of laughter” before issuing a statement.

“Speaker Johnson is running out of excuses for keeping the government shut down,” the No Kings coalition said. “Instead of reopening the government, preserving affordable healthcare, or lowering costs for working families, he’s attacking millions of Americans who are peacefully coming together to say that America belongs to its people, not to kings.”

The group behind the rally includes several progressive organizations, such as labor unions, Indivisible, and Vote Save America, a civic group connected to Crooked Media. 



 

Crooked Media co-founder Jon Favreau also weighed as per Politico, defending the demonstrations and pointing out that the first "No Kings" protest was “peaceful” and featured “American flags everywhere.”

“Those of us who will be participating next weekend in what Emmer calls a ‘hate rally’ love our country - especially its promise that we’re all created equal, that we all have the right to speak freely, to enjoy equal protection under the law, to believe what we want, and to choose our leaders without fear of reprisal,” Favreau said.

As of now, Johnson’s office has not issued a response to the organizers’ statements.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

'He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already,' Robert De Niro said about Donald Trump’s intentions
36 minutes ago
Conversations paused as diners watched the brief rendition, which ended with applause and quickly became a highlight of the evening
1 hour ago
Melania Trump's 2026 ensemble differed from her 2025 look, when she chose a black tuxedo styled with pieces from Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana
2 hours ago
JD Vance described his wife Usha as someone who 'just wants to give her kids a good life and wants to be as good of a public servant as possible'
3 hours ago
The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
15 hours ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
23 hours ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
23 hours ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
1 day ago
Melania Trump called her inaugural gown 'modern, bold, simple, and dignified,' saying it reflects decades of experience and craftsmanship
1 day ago
The Trump-Kennedy Center canceled Le Patin Libre’s show after a toxic chemical attack and handed footage to police for investigation
1 day ago