Newsom says he is relieved WHCD attendees are safe after shooting: 'Violence is never acceptable'

Gavin Newsom emphasized that a free press is essential to the country and made it clear that violence has no place in society
California Governor Gavin Newsom responded to the chaos at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner with a message focused on relief, safety, and the importance of press freedom (Getty Images)
California Governor Gavin Newsom responded to the chaos at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner with a message focused on relief, safety, and the importance of press freedom (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: California Governor Gavin Newsom has reacted to the chaos that unfolded at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, sharing a message of relief and concern after reports of a shooting scare disrupted the high-profile event.

Posting on X shortly after the incident on Sunday, April 26, Newsom acknowledged the frightening situation and stressed the importance of both safety and press freedom.

His remarks came as details continued to emerge about the panic that broke out inside the Washington Hilton.



Gavin Newsom stresses safety and press freedom after WHCD chaos

In his statement, Newsom kept his message direct, focusing on the larger implications of the incident.

“Relieved everyone at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner is safe tonight based on initial reports,” he wrote.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK - DECEMBER 03: Governor of California Gavin Newsom speaks onstage during The New York Times DealBook Summit 2025 at Jazz at Lincoln Center on December 03, 2025 in New York City. (Photo by David Dee Delgado/Getty Images for The New York Times)
Governor of California Gavin Newsom speaks onstage during The New York Times DealBook Summit 2025 at Jazz at Lincoln Center on December 03, 2025 in New York City (Getty Images)

He went on to talk about the role of journalism in the country, adding, “A free press is foundational to our country.”

Closing his post with a clear stance, Newsom said, “Violence is never acceptable.”

Shooting scare turns high-profile dinner into scene of panic

What started as a formal and closely watched event quickly spiraled into chaos inside the Washington Hilton ballroom.

President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump had just made their entrance, with Vice President JD Vance also present, as the evening’s program was getting underway.

Guests had settled in, expecting speeches and the usual light-hearted moments that define the dinner.

Multiple news reports confirm that law enforcement responded to an active shooting situation at the venue, and a suspect was identified and arrested (Screengrab/X/@OliLondonTV)
Multiple news reports confirm that law enforcement responded to an active shooting situation at the venue, and a suspect was identified and arrested (Screengrab/X/@OliLondonTV)

But within minutes, everything changed. Gunshots rang out, sending shockwaves through the room.

Attendees were seen diving under tables, trying to take cover as confusion and fear spread quickly.

The situation escalated rapidly as security personnel moved in. Reports indicated that a gunman had entered the hotel, rushed past a magnetometer, and opened fire.

A Secret Service agent was struck in the vest but was reported to be safe.

The event came to an immediate halt as agents secured the area and began evacuating top officials.

Donald Trump confirms situation under control, event postponed

After being escorted out, Trump later addressed the situation on Truth Social, reassuring the public and confirming that the immediate threat had been contained.

“Law Enforcement has requested that we leave the premises, consistent with protocol, which we will do, immediately,” he wrote.



He added that discussions had already taken place about the future of the event. “I have spoken with all the representatives in charge of the event, and we will be rescheduling within 30 days.”

Trump also reassured people about the safety of those present, saying, “The First Lady, plus the Vice President, and all Cabinet members, are in perfect condition. We will be speaking to you in a half an hour.”

His statement helped calm concerns, though the shock of the incident still lingered among attendees and viewers following the developments.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Michelle argued that widening inequality and declining economic stability have left many Americans feeling abandoned regardless of race or geography
31 minutes ago
Arab leaders urged the White House to stand down its forces, signaling that active backchannel diplomatic talks were underway
8 hours ago
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth demanded voters oust the libertarian incumbent for abandoning the conservative movement during crucial Capitol votes
9 hours ago
'We can't set up a multi-million dollar ATM at Mar-a-Lago for people who've committed crimes. It just isn't the way we are', Comey said
9 hours ago
Iran reportedly submits revised 14-point peace plan to Pakistani mediators after Trump warning
10 hours ago
Pentagon defends Hegseth’s personal campaign role and denies politicizing the military
11 hours ago
Trump argues the media would depict Iran’s surrender as a setback for the United States
12 hours ago
Justice Gregory Carro ordered a sweeping suppression of digital devices, a passport, and ammo seized from Luigi Mangione during a fast-food arrest
12 hours ago
President Trump shared an AI image, imagining himself sitting at a futuristic command center overlooking Earth from space and pressing a red button
13 hours ago
The president permanently shut down his Miami legal battle, clearing the way for a taxpayer-backed payout pool targeting January 6 defendants
13 hours ago