'No one screws up reality like lawyers': Hunter Biden's move to dismiss federal gun charges sparks Internet commentary

Hunter Biden's attorneys have asked a federal judge to dismiss three felony firearms charges that he is facing in Delaware
PUBLISHED DEC 12, 2023
Prosecutors claim that Biden misrepresented on a federal document regarding his drug usage and got a Colt Cobra 38SPL revolver  (Al Drago/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
Prosecutors claim that Biden misrepresented on a federal document regarding his drug usage and got a Colt Cobra 38SPL revolver (Al Drago/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

WASHINGTON: In a bid to lessen the growing legal challenges confronting President Joe Biden's son Hunter Biden, his legal team has requested a federal judge in Delaware to dismiss three felony firearms charges, as reported by ABC News.

Hunter Biden's attorney, Abbe Lowell, made several arguments in a flurry of court documents filed on Monday, December 12, to have the gun case dismissed.

These arguments encompass the assertions that the alleged gun crimes may be unconstitutional, that the immunity clause in a segment of the troubled plea agreement remains intact, and that the special counsel was "unlawfully appointed," consequently lacking the authority to file charges.

Hunter Biden's lawyer Abbe Lowell's take on the case

Abbe Lowell said in a statement, "These charges are unprecedented, unconstitutional and violate the agreement the US Attorney made with Mr Biden and DOJ's own regulations. This is not how an independent investigation is supposed to work, and these charges should be dismissed."

Following special counsel David Weiss's filing of nine additional tax-related charges against Hunter Biden in California last week, Lowell signaled his intention to seek the dismissal of the weapons allegations.

In September, not long after Attorney General Merrick Garland designated Weiss as special counsel, his agency brought the gun-related allegations.

The incidents outlined in the criminal documents occurred in October 2018, coinciding with Hunter Biden's firearm purchase that same month. Notably, he later acknowledged in his memoir, "Beautiful Things," that he was struggling with drug addiction during that period.

Prosecutors claim that Biden misrepresented a federal document regarding his drug usage and got a Colt Cobra 38SPL revolver. According to his lawyers, Biden had the gun for eleven days but never shot it.

Internet reacts to Hunter Biden seeking dismissal of federal gun charges

Several people on the internet reacted to the entire situation and shared their views.

A user wrote, "They're really going after Hunter with the Al Capone approach: using the most mundane things to book him on. I mean, if anyone wanted to, they could get an innocent person on a speeding ticket, which is what they're trying to do with Hunter."

Another person commented, "No one screws up reality like lawyers. See: brains of mush."

A person stated, "I agree as others in the USA get away with it on a daily basis.".

Another person mentioned, "Society you see others buy guns for others with criminal history if you look at past cases in the USA court cases".



 



 



 



 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Les Wexner testified that once he learned of both the investigation and missing funds, he severed contact and never spoke to Epstein again
10 minutes ago
Lara Trump said years of campaigning had made politics feel accessible to several relatives, expanding the family's ambition
37 minutes ago
Lawmaker demands special prosecutor and full transparency after UN report
56 minutes ago
Coalition challenges repeal of greenhouse gas authority and vehicle emissions rules
1 hour ago
The investigation follows earlier fraud findings and growing debt from pandemic jobless aid
1 hour ago
Trump monitors global rules as Lara Trump urges limits on children's screen time
3 hours ago
Maryland Gov Wes Moore responded, noting the spill is 'basically contained' and urging the WH to approve federal funding for flood recovery instead
11 hours ago
JD Vance criticized Fox News polling and said Americans lost income under Joe Biden but gained during Donald Trump’s first year
11 hours ago
Rep Darren Soto accused FCC Chair Brendan Carr of 'reign on unlawful censorship,' and vowed House Energy Committee will investigate
11 hours ago
Don Bacon said President Donald Trump made a 'course correction' on ICE operations, citing polling and pushback
11 hours ago