Pam Bondi justifies FBI raid on Washington Post reporter amid classified leak concerns

Pam Bondi said that she rescinded DOJ rules shielding journalists, stressing it was about leaks risking lives, not Natanson's First Amendment rights
Department of Justice Attorney General Pam Bondi claimed that the FBI search was tied to leaks from a contractor called Aurelio Perez-Lugones, accused of passing classified data abroad (Getty Images)
Department of Justice Attorney General Pam Bondi claimed that the FBI search was tied to leaks from a contractor called Aurelio Perez-Lugones, accused of passing classified data abroad (Getty Images)


WASHINGTON, DC: The Department of Justice Attorney General Pamela Bondi discussed the FBI seizing a Washington Post reporter, Hannah Natanson’s devices, while on Fox News’s ‘Hannity’ on Wednesday, January 14.

The warrant was issued in light of the Department of War system administrator, Aurelio Perez-Lugones’s arrest for leaking classified information.

While speaking of the search warrant against the reporter, the AG said that she was the one who had rescinded the Justice Department’s guideline to shield journalists from subpoenas.

However, she said that it wasn’t about Natanson’s First Amendment, but about the classified information that could have jeopardized lives. 

WASHINGTON, DC - FEBRUARY 22:  (AFP OUT) Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi speaks during a meeting
Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi speaks during a meeting with President Donald Trump and state and local officials on school safety at The White House, February 22, 2018, in Washington, DC (Chris Kleponis-Pool/Getty Images)

Pam Bondi chimes in on Aurelio Perez-Lugones’s arrest

While speaking to Sean Hannity on ‘Hannity’, General Attorney Pam Bondi commented on the arrest of Aurelio Perez-Lugones, who worked in the Department of War as an “IT guy.”

Bondi said that Lugones’s arrest and the search warrant against Natanson were about saving the lives of service men and women. 

Bondi added that Aurelio Perez-Lugones was a contractor who had classified information and was charged with leaking the same involving a foreign adversary.

“Today it’s been reported that the great men and women of the FBI executed a search warrant at the direction of Kash Patel and my office on the reporter’s home, seizing the devices containing classified material,” Bondi said. 

FBI Director Kash Patel Testifies In Hearings On Capitol Hill
WASHINGTON, DC - SEPTEMBER 17: Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Kash Patel testifies before the House Judiciary Committee in the Rayburn House Office Building on September 17, 2025 in Washington, DC. Patel is facing questions from lawmakers for the second straight day following a contentious hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee where he was criticized for his handling of investigations into the assassination of political activist Charlie Kirk and the case related to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
Federal Bureau of Investigation Director Kash Patel testifies before the House Judiciary Committee in the Rayburn House Office Building on September 17, 2025, in Washington, DC (Win McNamee/Getty Images)

The AG added that this was what the Justice Department was looking into now and that Donald Trump had been very clear about those who would try to jeopardize the lives of men and women in the US military.

Sean Hannity raised a question about whether the reporter in question, Hannah Natanson, knew that the information she possessed was, in fact, classified. Replying to the same, Bondi said that if that was the case, they had the right to return to the Department of Justice.

“I cannot enter the Department of War,” she added.

Bondi added that she couldn’t talk about the facts related to the case because, so far, it was only a search warrant against Natanson to retrieve information that belonged to the Department of War.



However, the DOJ AG confirmed that Aurelio Perez-Lugones was in jail and would remain in jail. 

Matt Murray raises questions about media's ‘constitutional protection’

CNN analyst Brian Stelter took to X to share the content of an email sent by Matt Murray soon after the search of Natanson’s Virginia home.

The post read that according to the warrant, the raid was in connection with an investigation into Aurelio Perez-Lugones and that Hannah Natanson or the Washington Post were not a target.

“Nonetheless, this extraordinary, aggressive action is deeply concerning and raises profound questions and concerns around the constitutional protections for our work,” the X post read. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Prosecutors said Aimee Bock and co-defendant Salim Said falsely claimed to serve 91 million meals while using federal funds for lavish spending
10 minutes ago
Authorities had reportedly received multiple prior warnings about both teenagers involved in the shooting that left three people dead
50 minutes ago
Karen Whitaker, 79, and Donald Whitaker, 80, were found dead at their Bermuda Dunes home after deputies conducted a welfare check
1 hour ago
Vanessa Trump said the news was unexpected, but emphasized that she is working closely with her doctors on a treatment plan
17 hours ago
White House posts dramatic ‘enemies neutralized’ graphic featuring Trump with Maduro, Khamenei and Castro.
18 hours ago
Robert De Niro drew applause during a questionnaire segment on Stephen Colbert’s show with a political joke about Trump and Epstein files
19 hours ago
Jeff Bezos claimed New York City school funding is not reaching teachers despite high per-student costs
20 hours ago
Donald Trump claimed Jesus would’ve helped him win California while attacking the state’s voting system
20 hours ago
Bystander Rhonda Shearer called the open manhole dangerous, while her son Jade said the partially open cover could have been fixed
21 hours ago
Marco Rubio is not from Cuba. He was born in Miami, Florida, to Cuban immigrants
21 hours ago