'Pathetic': Internet slams Doug Burgum as he backs Trump after saying earlier he wouldn't do business with him

Doug Burgum was still in Republican presidential nomination race when he claimed during an interview that he would never do business with Donald Trump
PUBLISHED JAN 15, 2024
North Dakota Gov Doug Burgum throws his weight behind former President Donald Trump (Instagram@dougburgum, Getty Images)
North Dakota Gov Doug Burgum throws his weight behind former President Donald Trump (Instagram@dougburgum, Getty Images)

INDIANOLA, IOWA: North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum (R) found himself thrust into an unusual spotlight as he endorsed former President Trump for president despite previously claiming that he would not do business with him.

On Sunday, January 14, the 67-year-old Republican appeared on stage with his wife Kathryn at a rally in Indianola, where he heaped praise on Trump.

“Four years ago, I was speaking on behalf of President Trump at the Iowa caucuses in Sioux City. And today I'm here to do something that none of the other presidential primary candidates have done – and that's endorse Donald J. Trump,” he said.



 

Burgum also claimed 'everything changed' from President Barack Obama's administration when Trump assumed office in 2017. “We had a friend and partner in the White House who understood us and wanted to see our states succeed versus being regulated out of business,” the governor said, as per Daily Mail.

He then continued by claiming, "Now, I've had a chance as governor to see what the world is like under Joe Biden – and America needs a 180-degree change in the direction of where Joe Biden has taken us."

Burgum said he wouldn’t do business with Trump

The North Dakota governor started a long-shot presidential campaign last year, but he called off his 2024 GOP presidential campaign in December 2023 as he failed to garner more than 1-2 percent of the vote in the polls.

Burgum made it through to the first two Republican National Committee primary debates of the previous year, but he was not selected for the third one held in November.

Burgum was still in the race for the Republican presidential nomination when he sat down for an interview on NBC’s 'Meet the Press'.

During the interview, host Chuck Todd asked him whether he would do business with Trump. "I don't think so," Burgum responded. Asked why, he said, "I just think that it’s important that you’re judged by the company you keep."



 

Burgum, a former business owner who turned a small software company into a $1.1 billion deal with Microsoft, also stated that Elon Musk, the billionaire proprietor of Tesla and X (formerly Twitter), is one person he would feel at ease doing business with.

"Just look at business track records is what I would say, and that's what I would take a peek at before I would make a decision about who you partner with," Burgum responded when asked about the differences between Musk and Trump.

Internet reacts to Burgum’s endorsement

After Burgum announced his endorsement, many users slammed him for supporting Trump despite his previous remarks.

“You said you wouldn’t do business with him but you’re endorsing him to do our country’s business. Pathetic,” one user blasted.

"If it weren't for hypocrisy, modern GOP leaders would have no ideology at all,” the second user trolled.

“Not honest enough for you to do business with, but good enough to be president of the country? Wow! Don’t do much introspection do you,” the third user mocked.

“You endorse someone for president that you say you wouldn’t do business with. What are you getting a cabinet position or an ambassador post?” the fourth user asked.

The fifth one wrote “Can’t run a business but can run a country? I don’t know what to say anymore."

“This is disappointing. This isn’t who I’ve voted for. Or is it. I don’t know. I hope you have a great run as Ag Sec or whatever. I feel a little sold out,” one more said.



 



 



 



 



 



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

MORE STORIES

Democrats push for 'HIRE Act' to double H‑1B visas, sparking GOP backlash, as the bill can raise the annual cap to 130,000
14 hours ago
Trump called himself the ‘affordability president’ in a medicine‑price post as he claimed that invoking Favored Nation rules drove historic drops
16 hours ago
Donald Trump defended tariffs and warned of ‘evil forces’ at the Supreme Court as he urged justices to uphold his emergency powers
17 hours ago
Elissa Slotkin’s comment about the federal troops was based on the alleged comment Trump made
22 hours ago
Trump claims 'radical left' aides signed 92% of orders without Biden's approval
1 day ago
USCIS ordered reexamination of Green Cards from ‘countries of concern’ after the DC guard attack, following Donald Trump’s proclamation on 19 nations
2 days ago
The coalition of 21 Democratic attorneys general argued that the new guidance unlawfully barred lawful residents, refugees, and asylum seekers from SNAP
3 days ago
America's 'historic' deportation numbers will surge in January 2026 as ICE prepares to deploy newly hired agents, claims Tom Homan
3 days ago
Starting in 2026, visitors will see digital passes, new 'America-first' pricing, as well as artwork featuring Trump
3 days ago
Pete Hegseth says that providing aid to the Scouts could 'harm military readiness'
3 days ago