Scott Bessent calls Tim Walz a ‘coward’ for withdrawing police protection in Minnesota

Scott Bessent called Minnesota Governor Tim Walz a 'coward' amid claims he denied police protection during a $9 billion fraud scandal
Scott Bessent said a planned interview moved after he blamed Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, calling him a 'coward' (Getty Images/Screengrab/Rufo & Lomez and BlazeTV/YouTube)
Scott Bessent said a planned interview moved after he blamed Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, calling him a 'coward' (Getty Images/Screengrab/Rufo & Lomez and BlazeTV/YouTube)


WASHINGTON, DC: Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has called Minnesota Governor Tim Walz a “coward” for allegedly refusing him police protection at the state capitol.

The conflict comes as the governor’s office faces a massive $9 billion fraud scandal involving missing taxpayer money.

Scott Bessent slams Tim Walz over withdrawn state police protection

The Treasury Secretary spoke out during a weekend interview with Christopher Rufo from TheBlaze. The interview was originally supposed to take place at the State Capitol in St Paul, but the plans fell through.

When asked why the location changed, Bessent blamed the governor directly. He pointed his finger and stated, “For one reason, Chris: Tim Walz is a coward! Is. A. Coward.”

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 02: U.S. Treasury Scott Bessent arrives to the U.S. Capitol on April 02, 2025 in Washington, DC. Bessent met with Senate Republicans ahead of President Trump's announcement on a new round of tariffs. (Photo by Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)
Treasury Scott Bessent arrives to the US Capitol on April 02, 2025 in Washington, DC. Bessent met with Senate Republicans ahead of President Trump's announcement on a new round of tariffs (Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images)

Bessent claimed that Walz refused to ensure his safety during the visit. “Walz would not guarantee that the Treasury Secretary of the United States of America would have police protection in the Minnesota State Capitol. He is afraid of what is coming,” Bessent said.

Scott Bessent targets fraud scandal while Tim Walz vows to stay

Bessent said he would "love" to have Walz come to his office in Washington, DC, to explain the $9 billion fraud scandal that has hit Minnesota.

“He’s not gonna be able to hide behind his curtain, because we will get there,” Bessent remarked, adding, “And I don’t have to go into the Capitol Building to investigate him.”

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz responds to questions from reporters regarding whether he will seek a third term during a press conference following an event on the state's new Paid Family and Medical Leave program, Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2026, in Minneapolis. (Kerem Yücel/Minnesota Public Radio via AP)
Minnesota Gov Tim Walz responds to questions from reporters regarding whether he will seek a third term during a press conference following an event on the state's new Paid Family and Medical Leave program, Tuesday, Jan 6, 2026, in Minneapolis (Kerem Yucel/Minnesota Public Radio via AP)

Last week, Tim Walz announced he would not run for re-election. He told reporters on January 6, “I’m not going anywhere. And you can make all your requests for me to resign. Over my dead body will that happen.”

He added, “I will fight this thing ‘til the very end to make this state better. And the question I think they need to decide is when is the guy in the White House going to resign? When does he take accountability for what he did? Because it isn’t going to happen here in terms of us shying away from making the state better."

Scott Bessent slams mainstream media for ignoring Minnesota fraud report

Pressure on Tim Walz increased significantly after independent journalist Nick Shirley released a viral report on Somali-run businesses receiving millions in state funds.

Shirley’s investigation highlighted a daycare called "Quality Learning Center" that reportedly received $1.9 million in 2025 despite being empty when he visited.

The facility, which even had a misspelling on its front sign, closed shortly after the report gained national attention.

Bessent argued that Walz’s attempts to suppress the story failed and criticized news outlets, saying, “We really don’t have a functioning mainstream media.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Tiffany Trump, Michael Boulos, and Tiger Woods attended Kai Trump’s graduation ceremony to support her in Florida
16 hours ago
Trump’s post came as Rachel Campos-Duffy accompanied her husband, Sean Duffy, to cover the Rededicate 250 event
18 hours ago
A White House post is the latest example of the much-controversial pattern followed by Trump’s second-term communications team
19 hours ago
Javier Bardem warned about growing media monopolies and said social media’s influence on young people is 'very dangerous'
20 hours ago
The Mountain Home Air Force Base went into a lockdown after the fiery crash with rest of the two-day air show getting canceled
20 hours ago
Eric Metaxas told a DC prayer gathering Donald Trump’s ballroom plan reflects divine purpose amid faith-themed speeches.
21 hours ago
Donald Trump shared another AI image showing himself at a futuristic space command center with a 'target destroyed' mushroom cloud display
21 hours ago
Taiwan Strait tensions may hit markets and restrict access to next-gen AI processors
1 day ago
Donald Trump said the scope of the project had been expanded to improve both longevity and visual appeal
1 day ago
Trump shared photos of the renovated walkway just days after calling parts of the White House rundown and neglected
1 day ago