Scott Perry says Iran should 'cover' $200B war cost to US after regime change

Scott Perry argued Iran had the financial capacity to cover war costs, saying its leaders diverted resources from citizens for decades
Republican Representative Scott Perry said Iran itself should ultimately pay for a proposed $200 billion war funding bill tied to Iran following a potential regime change (@kaitlancollins/X)
Republican Representative Scott Perry said Iran itself should ultimately pay for a proposed $200 billion war funding bill tied to Iran following a potential regime change (@kaitlancollins/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: GOP Representative Scott Perry said the $200 billion war funding bill for Iran would ultimately need to be paid by Iran, “after its regime changes,” when questioned about how the Pentagon plans to finance the conflict. He also said, “I support the president, I support this action," and stated that "we have to consider how we’re going to pay for it. Ideally, I’d like to see Iran cover the cost."

His remarks followed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s statement that the military is preparing its “largest strike package yet” amid ongoing tensions with Iran. The comments come as reports emerge that the Pentagon is seeking $200 billion in new funding from Congress for potential military operations.

Scott Perry lays out his views on Iran, regime change, and war funding in an in-depth interview with Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins/X)
Scott Perry laid out his views on Iran, regime change, and war funding in an in-depth interview with Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins/X)

Scott Perry suggests Iran should foot $200 billion war bill after regime change

Perry appeared on Thursday, March 19, edition of 'The Source' on CNN, suggested that Iran could ultimately bear the cost of a $200 billion war effort once its current leadership is removed. In an interview with Kaitlin Collins, Perry argued that decades of diverted resources have left Iran with the ability to pay for military operations “pretty quickly” under a new government.

He continued, whether it’s $20 billion or $200 billion, "they’ve been at odds with us for 47 years, and the president is finally putting an end to that, which is a positive development-but it comes at a price. Iran has substantial resources, which they’ve been diverting from their own people for the past four to five decades.”

“You want to see whatever this costs the US taxpayer, whatever the Pentagon does come to you and asks for, to be offset by Iran?” she asked. “Well, I think we gotta pay for this somehow, right?” Perry replied before insisting that Iran started the war. “I don’t see any reason why the people that started this war - it’s not the United States of America - it’s Iran.”

People watch as smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026 (AP Photo)
People watch as smoke rises on the skyline after an explosion in Tehran, Iran, Saturday, Feb. 28, 2026 (AP Photo)

“Yeah, I understand your argument,” Collins replied. “But I don’t think anyone thinks that Iran’s actually gonna pay $200 billion to offset the cost.” “Yeah, right now, Iran’s not gonna pay for it,” Perry clarified. “But under a different paradigm where the ayatollah’s not in charge, and we have a different system of governance.”

Perry expressed strong support for removing Iran’s current leadership, calling the nation a longstanding source of terror and nuclear threats. “We can’t continue living under the shadow of potential nuclear war,” he said.

Pentagon asks Congress for $200 billion for the Iran war

The Pentagon is seeking an extra $200 billion to support military operations related to Iran, according to a senior administration official who spoke on condition of anonymity. The request has been sent to the White House, the official added.

The figure is unusually large, adding to the extra funding the Defense Department already received last year through Trump’s major tax cuts bill. Congress is preparing to review the new request, though it is unclear whether the White House has formally submitted it for consideration. 

U.S. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth (L) and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Air Force Gen. Dan Caine (R) turn to watch a video of a bombing test of the GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) used in the attack on the Iranian Fordow Fuel Enrichment Plant during a news conference at the Pentagon on June 26, 2025 in Arlington, Virginia. The Department of Defense top officials gave an update after three Iranian nuclear facilities were struck by the U.S. military last weekend and Iran countered by launching missiles at Al Udeid Air Base in Doha, Qatar. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth  and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Air Force Gen Dan Caine  turn to watch a video of a bombing test of the GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP) used in the attack on the Iranian Fordow Fuel Enrichment Plant during a news conference at the Pentagon on June 26, 2025 in Arlington, Virginia (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

The Washington Post first reported the funding request. When asked about the figure at a press briefing on Thursday, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth did not confirm the number, noting it could change.  He emphasized the need for proper funding, saying, "We're going back to Congress and our folks there to ensure that we're properly funded." He also remarked, "It takes money to kill bad guys."

RELATED TOPICS US STRIKES IRAN

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The UN-authorized Omani route is opposed by Iran, but vessels increasingly use it despite risks, relying on US naval forces for protection
1 hour ago
David Morens admitted to using a personal email account to conduct government business and circumvent federal public-records laws
1 hour ago
The USS Benfold lost power in the South China Sea, disrupting water, food, air conditioning and toilets before it was towed to the Philippines
3 hours ago
Haley Van Erem alleges some university investigations lacked evidence of Title VI violations and were steered toward settlements
5 hours ago
Trump acknowledged that no peace talks are underway with Tehran as the 60-day deadline for reaching a permanent ceasefire expired
10 hours ago
A Democratic senator’s jab at Trump’s close aide sparked a fierce White House response as fresh scrutiny surrounds Harp’s unusually prominent role
10 hours ago
Last month, Rubio escalated the administration’s fight against the ICC, calling it a State Department-led campaign to dismantle the court
11 hours ago
Sean Spicer says Trump’s next press secretary will likely need his trust, understand his communication style and already have a close relationship with him
11 hours ago
Judge Brian E Murphy rejected a bid to delay ending TPS for about 5,000 Ethiopians as their legal challenge continues
12 hours ago
A planned discussion on violent crime in Washington was abruptly pulled, adding fresh uncertainty around Trump ally Jeanine Pirro’s standing in DC
12 hours ago