Sharyn Alfonsi accuses CBS of 'political' censorship after deportation report is pulled

CBS' Editor-in-Chief Bari Weiss stated that the 'Inside CECOT' segment lacked context and needed a White House response to meet editorial standards
Sharyn Alfonsi blasted CBS for pulling her vetted El Salvador prison report hours before airtime, despite five successful legal reviews (Getty Images)
Sharyn Alfonsi blasted CBS for pulling her vetted El Salvador prison report hours before airtime, despite five successful legal reviews (Getty Images)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: A senior '60 Minutes' correspondent accused CBS News' leadership of making a “political” decision after her report on deportations to El Salvador was abruptly pulled just hours before it was set to air, according to an internal memo first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

Sharyn Alfonsi, a longtime correspondent for the flagship news program, circulated the memo to staff after learning that her segment, 'Inside CECOT', had been removed from Sunday night’s broadcast lineup less than a day after it was publicly promoted.



Memo alleges ‘political’ motive behind decision

In the memo obtained by The Wall Street Journal, Alfonsi directly blamed CBS News' Editor-in-Chief Bari Weiss for the decision and said that requests for a discussion were denied.

“Our story was screened five times and cleared by both CBS attorneys and Standards and Practices,” Alfonsi wrote. “It is factually correct. In my view, pulling it now … is not an editorial decision, it is a political one.”

AUSTIN, TEXAS - NOVEMBER 09: Sharyn Alfonsi, Correspondent, 60 Minutes reacts in conversation with José Andrés, Chef, Humanitarian & Founder, World Central Kitchen during 2022 Texas Conference For Women at Austin Convention Center on November 09, 2022 in Austin, Texas. (Photo by Marla Aufmuth/Getty Images for Texas Conference for Women)
Sharyn Alfonsi, Correspondent, '60 Minutes', reacts in conversation with José Andrés, Chef, Humanitarian & Founder, World Central Kitchen during the 2022 Texas Conference For Women at Austin Convention Center on November 09, 2022 in Austin, Texas (Marla Aufmuth/Getty Images for Texas Conference for Women)

The segment focused on men deported to El Salvador’s CECOT maximum-security prison, a facility that has drawn scrutiny from advocacy groups. Alfonsi said that the reporting met all internal requirements before it was pulled.

Dispute over government response

Weiss reportedly raised concerns about the absence of an on-camera response from the Trump administration.

Alfonsi countered that the reporting team had repeatedly sought comment from the White House, the Department of Homeland Security and the State Department.

The exterior of a CBS store photographed on April 19, 2022, in West Hollywood, California. (Photo by Jeremy Moeller/Getty Images)
The disputed segment was promoted publicly before being removed from the broadcast schedule (Jeremy Moeller/Getty Images)

“Their refusal to be interviewed is a tactical maneuver designed to kill the story,” Alfonsi wrote, arguing that allowing silence to block publication would give officials undue control over coverage.

“If the standard for airing a story becomes ‘the government must agree to be interviewed’, then the government effectively gains control over the broadcast,” she added.

CBS defends editorial judgment

In a public statement, Weiss defended the move as a routine editorial decision, saying her role was to ensure that stories are complete and include “critical voices.” CBS echoed that position, stating that the piece required “additional reporting.”

Still, Alfonsi warned that pulling the segment after extensive promotion would be perceived by viewers as corporate censorship, writing that the network was risking its long-standing reputation.

Bari Weiss speaks onstage during Book Club Event With Peggy Noonan on November 19, 2024 in New York City. (Photo by Noam Galai/Getty Images for The Free Press)
CBS News Editor-in-Chief Bari Weiss defended the decision as standard editorial caution (Noam Galai/Getty Images for The Free Press)

“We are trading 50 years of ‘Gold Standard’ reputation for a single week of political quiet,” she wrote.

Alleged fallout inside the newsroom

Multiple sources told CNN that staffers have privately questioned whether they can continue working under the current leadership. The controversy follows recent public criticism of '60 Minutes' by President Donald Trump and comes amid broader changes at CBS following Paramount’s takeover and leadership restructuring.

Alfonsi concluded her memo by stressing her commitment to the program, writing that she was unwilling to watch it be “dismantled without a fight.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Bill Maher said America should return to 'stealing hard-working, talented immigrants from around the world and making them Americans'
2 days ago
Joe Rogan blasted the plan, calling the $100,000 monthly price tag 'crazy' and suggesting it was essentially a cash grab
4 days ago
Joe Rogan joked about how the press might have reacted and imagined how Trump could respond if the aircraft had been attacked
5 days ago
Tucker Carlson previously accused Hunter and Joe Biden of corruption and criticized Hunter's overseas business dealings
7 days ago
Bill Maher criticized Wisconsin Democrat Francesca Hong over remarks about her biracial son and her 'proximity to whiteness'
Aug 9, 2026
Megyn Kelly took particular issue with Whoopi Goldberg appearing to suggest that she understood the 'plight of working people'
Aug 7, 2026
Madeleine Carlisle exited amid major staff upheaval, as key correspondents and editors departed in cuts staff reportedly dubbed 'Black Thursday'
Aug 5, 2026
While the internet was busy searching for a political message, Torres appears to have been thinking about something considerably less complicated
Aug 4, 2026
The claim gained traction as New York City continues to debate expanding publicly-supported grocery initiatives under Mamdani
Aug 1, 2026
The Trump ally said JD Vance's ceasefire deal trapped the administration in a cycle of talks, Iranian violations ,and US retaliatory strikes
Jul 31, 2026