TikTok just got hit with a $400M bill and now Blanche has a warning for big tech
WASHINGTON, DC: Attorney General Todd Blanche has warned technology companies that the Justice Department will pursue those that fail to protect children online, delivering the message after TikTok and its parent company, ByteDance, agreed to a $400 million settlement over allegations involving children’s privacy.
🚨 NOW: AG Todd Blanche has reached a $400 MILLION settlement with TikTok to force them into protecting children's privacy
— Eric Daugherty (@EricLDaugh) August 22, 2026
"We are going to PROTECT children...if they are not doing what they're supposed to do to make sure that happens, we're going to come after them!" 💯 pic.twitter.com/V1pqUcWNYU
The settlement, announced Saturday, August 22, resolves federal litigation over alleged violations of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, or COPPA.
The Justice Department said TikTok will pay $300 million immediately, followed by another $100 million once a court enters an order resolving an earlier consent decree involving TikTok’s predecessor, Musical.ly.
Todd Blanche warns companies over failing to protect children
Speaking on Saturday on Fox News, Blanche described the settlement as a fair result and said the government’s focus was on protecting children online.
“It’s a stark reminder,” Blanche said, warning that companies and other entities that fail to meet their obligations could face action from the government.
The attorney general said the settlement also reflects changes TikTok has made since the original lawsuit was filed.
Those changes include stronger age-related controls, additional safeguards for younger users, and increased parental oversight, according to the Justice Department.
Blanche said the government’s approach was intended to address past conduct while ensuring that similar problems do not continue.
TikTok agrees to $400M federal settlement
The Justice Department originally sued TikTok and ByteDance in 2024 after a referral from the Federal Trade Commission.
The lawsuit alleged that children under 13 were able to create regular TikTok accounts without their parents’ knowledge or consent and that the company collected and retained personal information from those users.
The government also alleged that TikTok failed to properly honor some parental requests to delete children’s accounts and information.
Federal officials said the case was particularly significant because TikTok had already been subject to a 2019 court order involving similar allegations against Musical.ly.
The Justice Department called the new agreement one of the largest recoveries ever obtained in a COPPA case.
The claims resolved by the settlement remain allegations, and the government said there has been no determination of liability.
DOJ signals tougher tech enforcement
The settlement also gives the Trump administration a fresh opportunity to warn other technology companies about children’s online privacy.
Blanche said the government would pursue companies that fail to protect young users, turning the TikTok agreement into a broader message for the technology industry.
The Justice Department said TikTok’s subsequent compliance measures have strengthened protections for millions of American families and helped advance the public interest behind the litigation.