Trump confirms death of 20-year-old National Guardswoman Sarah Beckstrom shot in DC attack

Sarah Beckstrom, wounded in an ambush carried out near the White House, succumbed to her injuries on Thursday, November 27
PUBLISHED NOV 28, 2025
President Donald Trump revealed Sarah Beckstrom’s death during a Thanksgiving evening call with several US military units (@sarahbeckstrom/Facebook)
President Donald Trump revealed Sarah Beckstrom’s death during a Thanksgiving evening call with several US military units (@sarahbeckstrom/Facebook)


WASHINGTON, DC: West Virginia National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, wounded in an ambush allegedly carried out by Afghan refugee Rahmanullah Lakanwal, succumbed to her injuries on Thursday, November 27. 

President Donald Trump revealed the 20-year-old's death during a Thanksgiving evening call with several US military units, turning what is typically a celebratory tradition into a moment of remembrance.

Rahmanullah Lakanwal struggled for years with the violence he committed as part of a CIA-backed “Zero Unit” force in his home country(DHS/Twitter)
West Virginia National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, wounded in an ambush carried out by an Afghan refugee, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, succumbed to her injuries (DHS/Twitter)

Trump hails Sarah Beckstrom as 'outstanding in every single way'

President Donald Trump participates in a call with U.S. service members from his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida on Thanksgiving Day on November 27, 2025 in Palm Beach, Florida. (Pete Marovich/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump participates in a call with US service members from his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida on Thanksgiving Day on November 27, 2025, in Palm Beach, Florida (Pete Marovich/Getty Images)

Donald Trump delivered a somber message during his call with service members. “She’s just passed away. She’s no longer with us. She’s looking down at us right now. Incredible person, outstanding in every single way,” he said. The POTUS added that her death was “just horrible.”

This news followed reports that Beckstrom had been in critical condition after being shot in the chest and head while standing guard in Washington, DC. Medical teams rushed her into emergency surgery after the attack, but her chances of survival remained low.

On Thanksgiving Day, Beckstrom's father told The New York Times that he believed she would not recover. “I’m holding her hand right now. She has a mortal wound. It’s not going to be a recovery,” Gary Beckstrom said.

The West Virginia National Guard shared on X (formerly Twitter), "We are devastated to confirm the death of our own, Spc. Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot in the line of duty near the Farragut Square Metro Station Wednesday. Spc. Beckstrom was pronounced dead at MedStar Washington Hospital on Nov. 27, by wounds incurred during the shooting."



National Guardsman Andrew Wolfe, 24, was also shot in the attack. Like Beckstrom, Wolfe went into emergency surgery and remains in the hospital.

Trump said Wolfe is “fighting for his life” and added, “Hopefully, we’ll get better news with respect to him.” He also noted, "And the monster that did this is also in serious condition, but we won’t even talk about him."

Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for Sarah Beckstrom’s killer, Pam Bondi says

Earlier, US Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro said prosecutors plan to seek first-degree murder charges against the suspect, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, if either of the two National Guard members he allegedly shot dies.

A third Guard member stopped the suspect by using a pocketknife, and a fourth opened fire. Officials said Lakanwal, who was taken to a hospital, already faces at least three charges, including assault with intent to kill and criminal possession of a weapon. These charges could bring up to 15 years in prison.

Attorney General Pam Bondi said prosecutors will seek the death penalty if Lakanwal is convicted. After Beckstrom’s death, Bondi posted on X, "Devastated. Please pray for Sarah. Pray for her family."



She promised, "America will never forget her courage. There will be Justice for Sarah. Continue to pray for Andrew. Thank you to President Trump — the death penalty is back."

What did authorities say about the two National Guard members who were shot?



Jeanine Pirro also said both National Guard members had been sworn in only 24 hours before the attack.

According to Bondi, Beckstrom volunteered to work the Thanksgiving shifts so others could spend the holiday at home. The AG said, “She volunteered to be there on Thanksgiving — working today — she volunteered, as did many of those guardsmen and women, so other people could be home with their families."

Authorities say Lakanwal allegedly ambushed the two Guard members just a few blocks from the White House. They believe he waited for them before opening fire with a .357 Smith & Wesson revolver. Other Guard members returned fire and injured him. Investigators are still working to determine a motive and are treating the case as a possible targeted terrorist attack.

Pirro said Lakanwal drove across the country from his home in Bellingham, Washington, where he lived with his wife and five children. She said he previously served in the Afghan Army in Kandahar, where he supported US Special Forces.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
6 hours ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
13 hours ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
14 hours ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
15 hours ago
Melania Trump called her inaugural gown 'modern, bold, simple, and dignified,' saying it reflects decades of experience and craftsmanship
18 hours ago
The Trump-Kennedy Center canceled Le Patin Libre’s show after a toxic chemical attack and handed footage to police for investigation
18 hours ago
Eileen Gu reacts after JD Vance questions US-born athletes competing abroad
1 day ago
Court filing says settlement fund could disburse $35 million upon approval of 40+ eligible claims
1 day ago
Alysa Liu finished with a total score of 226.79, including a season-best 150.20 in the free skate and 76.59 in the short program
1 day ago
Amber Glenn, Team USA’s first openly queer woman skater, opened up about emotional toll and online backlash after her 13th-place Olympic finish
1 day ago