Trump confirms US forces captured Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro after overnight military strikes

Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodriguez insisted that Nicolas Maduro's whereabouts remained unknown as she demanded proof of life
UPDATED JAN 4, 2026
Donald Trump wrote on Truth Social on Saturday, January 3, that US forces had detained Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores after overnight strikes, sparking global shockwaves (Getty Images)
Donald Trump wrote on Truth Social on Saturday, January 3, that US forces had detained Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores after overnight strikes, sparking global shockwaves (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump announced early on Saturday, January 3, that the United States carried out a large-scale overnight military operation in Venezuela, resulting in the capture of President Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores.

Trump said that the pair were taken into custody and flown out of the country following coordinated strikes by US forces.

The announcement marked a dramatic escalation in US-Venezuela tensions. Venezuelan officials have disputed the claims and condemned the operation as an act of aggression.

U.S. President Donald Trump takes a question from a reporter in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump announced that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, one of the largest manufacturers of semiconductor chips, plans to invest $100 billion in new manufacturing facilities in the United States. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump takes a question from a reporter in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025, in Washington, DC (Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)

US operation and claims of Nicolas Maduro's capture 

Trump said that the strikes began in the early hours of Saturday and described them as part of a coordinated effort involving the US military and law enforcement agencies.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump wrote, “The United States of America has successfully carried out a large-scale strike against Venezuela and its leader, President Nicolas Maduro, who has been, along with his wife, captured and flown out of the Country.”

He added, “This operation was done in conjunction with US Law Enforcement. Details to follow.”



Speaking later to The New York Times, Trump praised the mission, saying, “A lot of good planning and lot of great, great troops and great people. It was a brilliant operation, actually.”

The president is expected to address the nation at 11 am ET from Mar-a-Lago in Palm Beach, Florida.

Explosions Hit Caracas as Reports Claim US Ground Forces in Venezuelan Capital (@EduMock/X)
Explosions hit Caracas as reports claim US ground forces in Venezuelan Capital (@EduMock/X)

According to US officials, the operation followed a series of strikes targeting suspected sm**gling operations tied to the Venezuelan regime.

US military forces had previously carried out drone strikes on suspected vessels off Venezuela’s coast, and the CIA conducted a strike in late December on a dock inside Venezuela that officials said was used by cartels.



Attorney General Pam Bondi said Maduro and Flores would face prosecution in the United States.

In a post on X, she wrote, "Nicolas Maduro has been charged with N**co-Te****ism Conspiracy, C***ine Importation Conspiracy, Possession of Machineguns and Destructive Devices, and Conspiracy to Possess Machineguns and Destructive Devices against the United States."

She continued, "They will soon face the full wrath of American justice on American soil in American courts.”



Bondi added, “On behalf of the entire US DOJ, I would like to thank President Trump… and our brave military who conducted the incredible and highly successful mission.”

Regional reaction and Venezuela's response

Venezuelan officials condemned the operation and disputed US claims.

Vice President Delcy Rodríguez said that the government did not know the whereabouts of Maduro and Flores. “We demand proof of life,” she said.

Venezuelan state media reported that Maduro condemned what he called a “grave military aggression,” saying that the strikes violated the United Nations Charter.

“This is an attack against the sovereignty of Venezuela,” Maduro reportedly said, according to The Miami Herald.

CARACAS, VENEZUELA - JANUARY 10: President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores hold hands and pose for photos after the swear-in ceremony at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 10, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela. Nicolas Maduro takes oath as president of Venezuela for a third consecutive term amidst tension in the country and a day after the opposition leader Maria Corina Machado was intercepted by governmental forces after taking part in an anti-government rally. Maduro claims to have won the election while the opposition leader Edmundo Gonzalez affirms he has won and, consequently, he is the legitimate president of Venezuela. (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)
President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores hold hands and pose for photos after the swearing-in ceremony at Palacio Federal Legislativo on January 10, 2025, in Caracas, Venezuela (Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)

The Venezuelan government declared a state of emergency and ordered national defense plans to be implemented.

In a statement, it said, “The objective of this attack is none other than to seize Venezuela’s strategic resources, particularly its oil and minerals.”

The government added, “They will not succeed.”

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump says nations pledge funds, personnel to end Gaza conflict
15 hours ago
'We're dealing with people who make political, geopolitical decisions on the basis of pure theology, and it's a complicated thing', Rubio said
17 hours ago
Lindsey Graham's remarks on Greenland ownership clashed with concerns inside the party about sovereignty, NATO unity, and long-term Arctic strategy
1 day ago
The secretary of state rejects “managed decline” and urges stronger domestic defenses
1 day ago
Ukraine urges US action as Trump sets summer deadline for peace
2 days ago
USS Gerald R Ford rerouted to join USS Abraham Lincoln strike group amid tensions
2 days ago
Gavin Newsom and AOC told European allies that current US policy shifts did not represent a permanent break with transatlantic commitments
2 days ago
Rubio says world in ‘new era’ as Munich talks focus on NATO strains, Ukraine and Iran tensions
2 days ago
Trump says he will keep seeking a deal with Iran despite Israeli government skepticism
4 days ago
Macron urges EU to reform and resist US pressure after the ‘Greenland moment’
5 days ago