Trump ordered Venezuela land strikes days in advance, claim sources

The strikes marked a significant escalation in Washington’s pressure campaign against the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro
The US reportedly carried out strikes inside Venezuela on Saturday, January 3, following months of threats by President Donald Trump (Screengrabs/@zayro_here, @EduMock/X)
The US reportedly carried out strikes inside Venezuela on Saturday, January 3, following months of threats by President Donald Trump (Screengrabs/@zayro_here, @EduMock/X)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump authorised land strikes on targets inside Venezuela several days before the military operation was carried out, giving the Pentagon a clear “green light” well ahead of the action, according to two US officials who spoke to CBS News.



The officials said the approval was not last-minute and that senior military and administration officials had been discussing the timing of the operation days earlier, including the possibility of conducting the strikes on Christmas Day.

Those plans were ultimately postponed as US airstrikes against ISIS targets in Nigeria took operational priority.

Explosions Hit Caracas as Reports Claim US Ground Forces in Venezuelan Capital (@EduMock/X)
Venezuela's capital Caracas was rocked by a series of explosions on Saturday, January 3 (@EduMock/X)

Anonymous officials on scheduling of Venezuela strikes

According to the officials cited by CBS News on condition of anonymity, Trump’s authorisation allowed the Pentagon to prepare and finalise plans for land strikes inside Venezuelan territory.

The discussions reportedly involved multiple timing options, with Christmas Day initially considered before being ruled out.

The officials said competing military priorities, including ongoing operations in Africa, influenced the final scheduling of the Venezuela mission.

The advance authorisation, they added, meant the Pentagon had flexibility in executing the strikes once operational conditions aligned, including intelligence assessments and regional considerations.

Smoke seen after at least 7 explosions and low-flying aircraft heard in Venezuela's Caracas
Smoke seen after at least seven explosions were heard in Caracas (@zayro_here/X)

Strikes targeted military facilities inside Venezuela



Several reports suggest that the strikes approved by Trump hit multiple sites inside Venezuela, including military facilities.

The action marked a significant escalation in Washington’s pressure campaign against the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, repeatedly accusing it of corruption, repression, and undermining democratic institutions.

CARACAS, VENEZUELA - JANUARY 15: President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro arrives at the Teresa Carreno Theater to address lawmakers for his annual address on January 15, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela. President Maduro called for reunion and dialogue in his message amid tensions and controversy over his contested third term. (Photo by Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)
President of Venezuela Nicolas Maduro arrives at the Teresa Carreno Theater to address lawmakers for his annual address on January 15, 2025, in Caracas, Venezuela (Jesus Vargas/Getty Images)

US officials said the operation was aimed at regime-linked targets, though details about the scale of damage, casualties, or specific facilities hit have not been publicly disclosed.

The Pentagon has so far not released an official after-action statement outlining the scope or outcome of the strikes.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump rejected claims that November's midterm elections influenced his approach to the conflict, saying they had 'nothing to do' with his thinking
23 hours ago
A Wall Street Journal report says Iran used the diplomatic window to strengthen the IRGC, rebuild weapons capacity and prepare for wider conflict
1 day ago
Donald Trump cited cost, diplomacy with Kim Jong Un and Seoul’s Iran stance as the Pentagon reduced US participation in annual military drills
1 day ago
Iranian Army chief Amir Hatami said the reward was created after a surge in requests from Iranians seeking to join the conflict
1 day ago
Kazem Gharibabadi said Tehran would decide when the strategic waterway opens or closes, rejecting Washington’s claim of control
3 days ago
Iran said the United States must pledge never to threaten Tehran again and permanently end its war with Iran and its regional allies
Aug 9, 2026
Kazem Gharibabadi said negotiations were essential as inflation hit 88.6% and Iran’s oil exports faced mounting disruption
Aug 9, 2026
Iran said the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the US ended military action, lifted sanctions, and withdrew its forces
Aug 8, 2026
Reza Valizadeh also revealed that Iranian authorities have prevented his family from visiting him for five months, which he believes is punishment
Aug 8, 2026
Ron Dermer served as Israel’s ambassador to the US from 2013 to 2021 and later worked as Benjamin Netanyahu’s strategic affairs minister
Aug 8, 2026