Trump mistakenly dials his former adviser HR McMaster and berates him, Internet says 'insane clown show'

Donald Trump presumably intended to call South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster but mistakenly dialed HR McMaster
Donald Trump insulted HR McMaster after the White House got him on call by mistake (Getty Images, Screengrab/CBS)
Donald Trump insulted HR McMaster after the White House got him on call by mistake (Getty Images, Screengrab/CBS)

WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump accidentally called his former national security adviser HR McMaster last month and proceeded to insult him after being made aware of the situation, the Daily Beast reported on Wednesday, April 9.

The incident took place on March 3, insiders have confirmed to CBS News. McMaster was reportedly surprised to get a call from POTUS since the latter had slammed him as a "weak and totally ineffective loser" on social media the previous day.

The attack came after McMaster went on television to voice his concern over Trump berating Ukrainian President Volodymyr Selensky in the White House.

McMaster said that Trump's approach in the meeting could not have made his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin happier "because what he sees is all of the pressure on Zelenskyy, all of the pressure on Ukraine and no pressure on him."



 

HR McMaster gets berated by Donald Trump

Trump reportedly began the phone conversation by calling McMaster "Henry," as the intended recipient was presumably South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster. The HR in McMaster’s name stands for Herbert Raymond.

McMaster was initially unsure if he was speaking to the real POTUS, but he soon realized the situation as the conversation progressed, and said into the phone, "Mr President, this is HR McMaster."

"Why the f**k would I talk" to HR McMaster, asked the incumbent, before proceeding to berate him on the call.

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks before signing an executive order in the Oval Office at the White House on March 07, 2025 in Washington, DC. President Trump signed an executive order establishing a White House Task Force for the 2026 World Cup. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump speaks before signing an executive order in the Oval Office at the White House on March 7, 2025 in Washington, DC (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

The attack on McMaster was continued by the White House on Wednesday, when communications director Steven Cheung stated, "HR McMaster has completely beclowned himself and his third-rate book, which is now sold in the bargain bin of the fiction section of a discount bookstore, is filled with lies in a futile attempt to rehabilitate his tattered reputation."

Cheung was referring to McMaster's 2024 memoir 'At War with Ourselves: My Tour of Duty in the Trump White House', where he claimed Putin “played to Trump’s ego and insecurities with flattery.”

Internet trolls Trump White House for the misdial

Netizens reacting to the news trolled Trump and his White House for dialling the wrong number on the social media platform X. The following tweets demonstrate their takes.

"Non-stop insane clown show," observed a person.



 

"The most accidental president ever," wrote another.



 

"Better than being added to a signal chat group?" jibed a third, referring to the recent scandal.



 

"Does this administration not know how phones work?" asked a fourth.



 

"This is what happens when you have the most incompetent administration in American history. A bunch of DUI hires," chided a fifth.



 

"The level of incompetence in this office is staggering," expressed yet another with a GIF.



 

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

The results highlight the continued importance of Trump’s endorsement in shaping GOP primary outcomes
1 minute ago
Taking to X after the race was called, the California Democrat blasted what he described as attacks on Massie and argued the libertarian-minded Republican was punished for taking on powerful interests
51 minutes ago
The bipartisan praise highlighted how Massie’s brand of anti-establishment politics has attracted support beyond traditional Republican circles
1 hour ago
Appearing on Hannity, Gallrein recounted a conversation he said changed the course of his campaign
1 hour ago
In a lengthy post on X after the results, Marjorie Taylor Greene hailed Thomas Massie as 'a giant among weak pathetic men'
1 hour ago
Michael Caputo said the FBI probes were ‘weaponized’ against his family as he filed $2.7M DOJ claim
2 hours ago
Speaking at his concession event in Hebron on May 19, Thomas Massie framed the loss as part of a larger purpose
2 hours ago
Thomas Massie criticized Donald Trump’s White House ballroom project, saying Americans are struggling while gas and diesel prices rise
2 hours ago
Ilhan Omar faced renewed scrutiny after revising financial disclosures tied to companies co-owned by partner Tim Mynett
3 hours ago
Massie also claimed that his opponents tried to use ‘a lot of dirty tricks’ throughout the race but said they remained persistent.
4 hours ago