Trump offered to build White House ballroom for Obama in 2010, WSJ report reveals

According to David Axelrod, Barack Obama’s former senior advisor, Donald Trump called him directly to make the offer
Donald Trump reportedly offered to build a ballroom for Barack Obama in 2010 after mocking the ‘sh***y little tents’ used for state dinners (Getty Images)
Donald Trump reportedly offered to build a ballroom for Barack Obama in 2010 after mocking the ‘sh***y little tents’ used for state dinners (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: Long before he became president, Donald Trump had a grand idea for the White House and even pitched it to Barack Obama, according to a Wall Street Journal report published on Monday, October 27.

The newspaper revealed that in early 2010, Trump, then a real estate mogul and reality TV star, offered to construct a lavish White House ballroom that could be used for state dinners, official receptions, and high-profile social events.

WASHINGTON, DC - JANUARY 20:  Former U.S. President Barack Obama (R) congratulates U.S. President Do
Donald Trump once offered to build a White House ballroom for Barack Obama back in 2010, WSJ reveals (Getty Images)

Trump mocked Obama’s ‘sh***y little tents’ used for state dinners

According to David Axelrod, Barack Obama’s former senior advisor, Donald Trump called him directly to make the offer, with the connection facilitated by MSNBC host Mika Brzezinski, who knew the Republican leader at the time.

“He said, ‘You have these state dinners in sh***y little tents,’” Axelrod recalled. “He said, ‘I build ballrooms. I build the most beautiful ballrooms in the world. You can come to Florida and see for yourself.’”

U.S. President Donald Trump takes a question from a reporter in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump announced that Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company, one of the largest manufacturers of semiconductor chips, plans to invest $100 billion in new manufacturing facilities in the United States. (Photo by Andrew Harnik/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump takes a question from a reporter in the Roosevelt Room of the White House on March 3, 2025, in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

Trump reportedly wanted to create a modular ballroom that could be taken apart and reassembled if needed. But despite his enthusiasm, Axelrod said he was skeptical, given the economic downturn at the time.

“I was thinking, we’re in the middle of a recession, I’m not sure about this,” Axelrod told the Wall Street Journal, adding that he directed Trump to reach out to the White House social secretary, though the two “never connected.”

Trump’s ballroom vision finally realized years later

Donald Trump holds up a rendering of the proposed White House ballroom (@WhiteHouse/X)
Donald Trump holds up a rendering of the proposed White House ballroom (@WhiteHouse/X)

The Wall Street Journal reported that Donald Trump had been trying for at least 15 years to get approval for a White House ballroom — a space grand enough to host dignitaries, lawmakers, and celebrities.

The current White House ballroom project, initiated under Trump’s administration, is finally materializing with private donors covering the bill, now estimated at $350 million.

Sources say Trump approached the ballroom project like many of his past ventures: identifying ways to navigate federal approvals, zoning constraints, and fundraising limits.

Even Obama and Biden administration alumni backed the need for an indoor venue

While the idea may have sounded ostentatious at first, the Washington Post’s editorial board recently defended the ballroom project, citing the practical need for a permanent indoor event space.

Even the Obama and Biden administration alumni have reportedly acknowledged that the current setup, which relies on outdoor tents and portable toilets, is less than ideal for formal occasions.

At present, the White House frequently uses the South Lawn for banquets and ceremonies, often leaving guests to navigate uneven grass and unpredictable weather. Trump’s 90,000-square-foot ballroom, in contrast, is expected to provide a weatherproof, high-capacity indoor alternative for hosting world leaders.

U.S. President Donald Trump gestures from the roof of the West Wing of the White House as he takes a tour on August 05, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump has undertaken several renovation projects at the White House to include the construction of a concrete patio at the Rose Garden. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump gestures from the roof of the West Wing of the White House as he takes a tour on August 5, 2025, in Washington, DC (Getty Images)

For Trump, the ballroom project marks the culmination of a long-held vision that dates back to his private-sector days.

What began as a casual offer to Obama over a decade ago has evolved into one of the most ambitious White House renovations in modern history.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Barney Frank leaves a legacy of financial reform, progressive politics and LGBTQ equality
2 hours ago
David Axelrod explained that Donald Trump is popular with GOP voters but lacks wider appeal, creating a dilemma for Republicans in general elections
9 hours ago
Cynthia West shared a video congratulating Trump on a huge Kentucky victory, praising his America First agenda and calling America worth fighting for
10 hours ago
Hawaa said her father Amin Abdullah often skipped meals while guarding the mosque because he was focused on protecting children and worshippers
11 hours ago
Donike Gocaj died after falling into an uncovered Midtown Manhattan manhole near the Cartier store after exiting her Mercedes-Benz
12 hours ago
JD Vance accused Kaitlan Collins of misrepresenting both his previous comments and Donald Trump’s statement
12 hours ago
The data came from the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program, which gathered information from more than 17,000 law enforcement agencies
13 hours ago
Amin Abdullah, Mansour Kaziha and Nader Awad were identified as the three men killed in the attack
13 hours ago
Natalie Maines accused the Trump administration of misusing public funds amid rising gas prices, tensions with Iran, and IRS controversy
14 hours ago