Trump’s lavish $400M ballroom to match White House height, architect reveals

Architect Shalom Baranes said the 1,000-person ballroom would have 40-foot ceilings and be built as part of a rebuilt and expanded East Wing
PUBLISHED JAN 9, 2026
President Donald Trump had moved forward with plans for a $400M ballroom at the White House, designed to rise to the same height as the historic main building (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images, @WhiteHouse/X)
President Donald Trump had moved forward with plans for a $400M ballroom at the White House, designed to rise to the same height as the historic main building (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images, @WhiteHouse/X)


WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump is moving forward with plans for a $400 million ballroom designed to reach the same height as the original White House. The project’s lead architect revealed the details on Thursday, January 8, during a presentation to the National Capital Planning Commission.

“The heights will match exactly,” said Shalom Baranes, referring to the 1,000-person ballroom, which will feature ceilings around 40 feet high.

Since last year, the proposed ballroom has been making headlines, especially after the left wing of the White House was demolished. The decision has sparked a mix of reactions, with people either impressed or questioning the move, keeping the conversation lively.

Architect Shalom Baranes shows a site plan for a new $400 million White House ballroom during a meeting of the National Capital Planning Commission on January 08, 2026 in Washington, DC. The commission met to discuss U.S. President Donald Trump's planned construction of a new ballroom at the White House which began months ago and will replace the recently demolished two-story East Wing. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Architect Shalom Baranes shows a site plan for a new $400 million White House ballroom during a meeting of the National Capital Planning Commission on January 08, 2026 in Washington, DC. The commission met to discuss US President Donald Trump's planned construction of a new ballroom at the White House which began months ago and will replace the recently demolished two-story East Wing (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Trump’s lavish ballroom project aims to match White House ceiling 

The first time, the public got an in-depth look at the privately funded plans. The ballroom would cover roughly 22,000 square feet and be part of an expanded East Wing.

The lavish project also includes offices for the first lady, a rebuilt White House movie theater, a commercial kitchen, streamlined entrances, and a two-story colonnade connecting back to the main house, as per The Independent. 

The design aims to ease the “ongoing operational stress” on the White House grounds, according to architect Baranes. He also mentioned talks about a potential “modest, one-story addition to the West Wing colonnade, which would serve to restore a sense of symmetry” to the overall layout.

Architect Shalom Baranes shows elevation drawings for a new $400 million ballroom at the White House to members of the National Capital Planning Commission on January 08, 2026 in Washington, DC. The commission met to discuss U.S. President Donald Trump's planned construction of a new ballroom at the White House which began months ago and will replace the recently demolished two-story East Wing. (Photo by Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Architect Shalom Baranes shows elevation drawings for a new $400 million ballroom at the White House to members of the National Capital Planning Commission on January 08, 2026 in Washington, DC. The commission met to discuss US President Donald Trump's planned construction of a new ballroom at the White House which began months ago and will replace the recently demolished two-story East Wing (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

White House renovations typically stay lower than the main building. Now, Phil Mendelson, leading Council Chairman and commission member, questions whether the ballroom’s height could be reduced. He said he was “concerned” it could overshadow the historic structure. Baranes responded that such a change was “possible.”

The Commission of Fine Arts is scheduled to review the project on January 15, ahead of a final vote set for February 19. On the other hand, the National Capital Planning Commission is set to vote on the project on March 5, as per The Washington Post. 



Rules clash over Trump’s East Wing expansion

Last year, the National Trust for Historic Preservation took legal action, stating that the Trump administration began construction before sending plans to the planning commission or seeking congressional approval. The trust argues that federal law requires congressional approval for building on federal park land in the capital.

TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA - MAY 01: U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks to graduating students at the Coleman Coliseum at the University of Alabama on May 01, 2025 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Trump's remarks come the day before commencement ceremonies. (Photo by Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)
President Donald Trump delivers remarks to graduating students at the Coleman Coliseum at the University of Alabama on May 01, 2025 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Trump's remarks come the day before commencement ceremonies. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

The trust charged that the administration had “broken the rules first and asked for permission later.” In December, a judge chose not to halt construction immediately.

Meanwhile, the Trump administration has been holding meetings with staff from the planning commission and the Commission of Fine Arts, as per the Washington Post. 

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump praises Team USA after first men's hockey gold in forty-six years historic win big
1 hour ago
Authorities said the 21-year-old entered a restricted zone near the north gate carrying what appeared to be a shotgun before officers opened fire
1 hour ago
'He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already,' Robert De Niro said about Donald Trump’s intentions
11 hours ago
Conversations paused as diners watched the brief rendition, which ended with applause and quickly became a highlight of the evening
12 hours ago
Melania Trump's 2026 ensemble differed from her 2025 look, when she chose a black tuxedo styled with pieces from Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana
13 hours ago
JD Vance described his wife Usha as someone who 'just wants to give her kids a good life and wants to be as good of a public servant as possible'
14 hours ago
The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
1 day ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
1 day ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
1 day ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
1 day ago