White House considers second floor addition to West Wing amid East Wing ballroom rebuild

The Trump administration explored adding a second floor to the West Wing to balance the new East Wing ballroom
PUBLISHED JAN 9, 2026
Shalom Baranes discussed a potential second-floor addition to the West Wing during a briefing (Getty Images)
Shalom Baranes discussed a potential second-floor addition to the West Wing during a briefing (Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Trump administration is exploring a potential expansion of the West Wing as part of ongoing renovations tied to the construction of a massive new ballroom in the East Wing, officials said this week. During a briefing to the National Capital Planning Commission, architects suggested that adding a second floor to the West Wing could help restore symmetry to the historic complex.

White House architect Shalom Baranes, overseeing the East Wing ballroom project, emphasized that the proposal is still conceptual and has not undergone formal review. “We’re considering the idea of a modest one-story addition to the West Wing," Baranes said. “The reason to think about that is so that we would reinstate the symmetry around the central pavilion of the White House.”



West Wing expansion floated as a matter of architectural balance

The proposal was discussed Thursday during the National Capital Planning Commission briefing, where architects provided updates on the East Wing ballroom project. Baranes explained that the modest one-story West Wing addition is being considered purely for architectural balance and symmetry.

Baranes added, “We haven’t looked at it. We have not looked at that at all yet. We hope to do so in the future.”



East Wing ballroom plans include first lady office and theater

Construction continues on the East Wing, where the Trump administration is moving forward with a large-scale ballroom addition that has drawn political and preservationist scrutiny.

Baranes outlined the planned features of the rebuilt East Wing, including a new office for the first lady, a movie theater, and a large banquet and event space for official functions, according to Bloomberg. He replaced architect James McCrery earlier this year, months after demolition work had already begun. The privately funded project carries an estimated cost of $400 million and is expected to be completed by 2028.

An excavator works to clear rubble after the East Wing of the White House was demolished on October 23, 2025 in Washington, DC. The demolition is part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to build a multimillion-dollar ballroom on the eastern side of the White House.
An excavator cleared rubble after the East Wing demolition for Trump’s new ballroom (Getty Images)

Legal challenges and preservation concerns surround renovation

The East Wing project has faced opposition from preservation groups. In December, the National Trust for Historic Preservation filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration, alleging that construction began without required approvals or public input.

The organization argued the project moved forward “without seeking approval from Congress; without requesting review and approval from the federal commissions charged with oversight of development in the nation’s capital; without conducting the required environmental studies; and without allowing the public any opportunity for input.”

U.S. President Donald Trump delivers remarks during a ballroom fundraising dinner in the East Room of the White House on October 15, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump hosted organizations and individuals for a fundraising dinner for the new $250 million ballroom addition currently under construction at the White House.
Donald Trump hosted a fundraising dinner for the East Wing ballroom addition (Getty Images)

A federal judge denied the request for a temporary restraining order, allowing construction to continue after White House officials pledged to conduct federal review processes retroactively. A hearing on a preliminary injunction is scheduled for next week.

Federal review finds no major environmental impact

U.S. President Donald Trump gestures from the roof of the West Wing of the White House as he takes a tour on August 05, 2025 in Washington, DC. Trump has undertaken several renovation projects at the White House to include the construction of a concrete patio at the Rose Garden. (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images)
Donald Trump toured the West Wing roof during ongoing White House renovations (Getty Images)

Last month, the National Park Service released a report concluding that the East Wing ballroom project would have “no significant impact” on the historic White House grounds. That finding strengthened the administration’s position as it pressed ahead with renovations, despite ongoing concerns from preservation groups.

GET BREAKING U.S. NEWS & POLITICAL UPDATES
STRAIGHT TO YOUR INBOX.

MORE STORIES

Trump praises Team USA after first men's hockey gold in forty-six years historic win big
2 hours ago
Authorities said the 21-year-old entered a restricted zone near the north gate carrying what appeared to be a shotgun before officers opened fire
2 hours ago
'He jokes now about nationalizing the elections. He’s not joking. We’ve seen enough already,' Robert De Niro said about Donald Trump’s intentions
13 hours ago
Conversations paused as diners watched the brief rendition, which ended with applause and quickly became a highlight of the evening
14 hours ago
Melania Trump's 2026 ensemble differed from her 2025 look, when she chose a black tuxedo styled with pieces from Ralph Lauren and Dolce & Gabbana
15 hours ago
JD Vance described his wife Usha as someone who 'just wants to give her kids a good life and wants to be as good of a public servant as possible'
16 hours ago
The 'Shark Tank' investor says firms are scrambling after court blocks Donald Trump tariffs
1 day ago
Israel denied the claims, saying Tucker Carlson was 'politely asked routine questions' per standard procedures for travelers
1 day ago
Mark Ruffalo said President Donald Trump cannot act alone on war and backed Representative Ro Khanna’s War Powers vote
1 day ago
Editor Mark Guiducci reportedly barred press and social media from the Vanity Fair Oscar party amid tighter guest restrictions
1 day ago