Trump pauses asylum cases after DC shooting in escalating legal immigration crackdown

The announcement followed the Trump administration’s review of 720,000 green-card holders after Rahmanullah Lakanwal shot two National Guard members
PUBLISHED 46 MINUTES AGO
The Department of Homeland Security announced that it plans to pause 2.2 million pending asylum cases following an Afghan asylee’s attack on National Guard members near the White House (Pete Marovich/Getty Images)
The Department of Homeland Security announced that it plans to pause 2.2 million pending asylum cases following an Afghan asylee’s attack on National Guard members near the White House (Pete Marovich/Getty Images)

WASHINGTON, DC: The Department of Homeland Security announced that it will pause more than 2.2 million pending asylum cases following a Thanksgiving Eve attack near the White House.

In the attack, Afghan asylee Rahmanullah Lakanwal fatally shot 20-year-old National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom and critically injured 24-year-old Andrew Wolfe.

Lakanwal, who the US evacuated from Afghanistan in 2001 for assisting the CIA, received asylum this April and would have become eligible for a green card next year.

Trump’s administration has a higher priority on American safety



According to the official X account of US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Director Joseph B Edlow, he declared on November 28, "USCIS has halted all asylum decisions until we can ensure that every alien is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible." 

The post concluded by saying, "The safety of the American people always comes first."

The State Department on Friday, November 28 also paused visa issuance for individuals traveling on Afghan passports “in the wake of a horrific terror attack against the National Guard.”

Tommy Pigott, principal deputy spokesperson, said the Trump administration prioritizes American safety above all else and has launched a government-wide effort to protect national security. 

"The Trump administration has no higher priority than ensuring the safety of Americans and has launched a whole-of-government effort to defend America’s national security."

USCIS director announces ‘rigorous’ reexamination of every green card

Previously, USCIS Director Joseph Edlow announced on Thursday, November 27, that, following Trump’s instructions, he ordered "a full scale, rigorous reexamination of every Green Card for every alien from every country of concern.” 

Trump did not immediately comment on the developments but posted on Friday, November 28 that “Only reverse migration can fully cure this situation.”



A senior White House official told The New York Post that the green-card review is underway, and officials are still discussing the details.

President Donald Trump participates in a call with U.S. service members from his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida on Thanksgiving Day on November 27, 2025 in Palm Beach, Florida (Getty Images)
President Donald Trump participates in a call with US service members from his Mar-a-Lago club in Florida on Thanksgiving Day on November 27, 2025 in Palm Beach, Florida (Getty Images)

It remains unclear whether the review will target specific countries or require green-card holders to attend interviews. The US currently has about 12.8 million green-card holders, who receive lawful permanent residency through work, family connections, or humanitarian programs. The government does not publicly release country-specific data for the 19 nations under review.

Green-card holders can apply for US citizenship after five years, but many choose not to.



On Truth Social, Trump vowed to end “millions of Biden illegal admissions” and remove anyone he considers not a net asset to the United States or incapable of loving the country.

He also pledged to "permanently pause migration from all Third World Countries to allow the US system to fully recover, terminate all of the millions of Biden illegal admissions... & remove anyone who is not a net asset to the US, or is incapable of loving our Country."

MORE STORIES

Senator Marco Rubio defended Donald Trump’s actions against Venezuelan narco-terrorists, rejecting EU claims on international law
27 minutes ago
On Friday, Trump declared that all documents signed using an autopen under Biden were 'hereby terminated' in a legally uncertain move
49 minutes ago
Tiffany shared the moment with a simple caption, 'Grandpa and Alexander hard at work'
1 hour ago
Sarah Beckstrom questioned her role in Washington, DC, patrols, frustrated by limits on National Guard actions
1 hour ago
The site claimed that the outlets were cited for reporting that 'misrepresents and exaggerates President Trump’s calls for Democrat accountability'
1 hour ago
Shelley Capito called slain National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom a ‘peacekeeper’ who showed courage and honor as she served the nation
1 hour ago
San Jose Police confirmed three people were hospitalized after a shooting at Westfield Valley Fair Mall on Black Friday
1 hour ago
One National Guard member has died and another is fighting for his life after Wednesday's shooting
1 hour ago
Indiana State Senator Mike Bohacek, whose daughter has Down syndrome, rejected Trump-backed redistricting after offensive slur against Governor Tim Walz
2 hours ago
Patrick Morrisey said the moment of silence for the shot Guradsmen is a small way to demonstrate the state’s gratitude, respect, and support
2 hours ago