Trump praises Tulsi Gabbard after resignation, names Aaron Lukas acting intelligence chief
WASHINGTON, DC: President Donald Trump on Friday, May 22, publicly responded to the resignation of Tulsi Gabbard, praising her tenure as Director of National Intelligence while confirming that senior intelligence official Aaron Lukas will take over as acting head of the agency.
The remarks come after Gabbard announced she would step down on June 30, citing her husband’s serious health condition.
Trump praises 'incredible' Tulsi Gabbard
In a formal statement released after her resignation became public, Trump praised Gabbard’s service and expressed support for her decision to step away from government duties.
“Unfortunately, after having done a great job, Tulsi Gabbard will be leaving the Administration on June 30th,” Trump said.
“Her wonderful husband, Abraham, has been recently diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer, and she, rightfully, wants to be with him, bringing him back to good health as they currently fight a tough battle together.”
He added that he expected a positive outcome in her husband’s recovery, saying, “I have no doubt he will soon be better than ever.”
Trump also highlighted Gabbard’s performance in office, describing her work as “incredible” and noting that her departure would be felt within the administration.
“We will miss her,” he said, while thanking her for her service in the intelligence role.
As part of the transition, Trump announced that Aaron Lukas, who currently serves as Principal Deputy Director of National Intelligence, will step in as Acting Director once Gabbard’s resignation takes effect.
Lukas has been a senior figure within the intelligence structure and is expected to maintain operational continuity during the leadership change.
I am deeply grateful for the trust President Trump placed in me and for the opportunity to lead @ODNIgov for the last year and a half.
— Tulsi Gabbard 🌺 (@TulsiGabbard) May 22, 2026
Unfortunately, I must submit my resignation, effective June 30, 2026. My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare… pic.twitter.com/PS0Dxp5zpd
Tulsi Gabbard cites husband's cancer diagnosis
Gabbard’s resignation was formally submitted after she reportedly informed Trump during a meeting at the White House earlier in the day.
Tulsi told the president she would be stepping down due to her husband’s diagnosis of an extremely rare form of bone cancer.
Her resignation letter, dated May 22, 2026, outlines her decision to leave public office to support her husband, Abraham Williams, during treatment and recovery.
In the letter, she described her husband as a constant source of support throughout her military and political career, writing that he had been her “rock throughout our eleven years of marriage” and had stood by her through deployments, campaigns and her time in intelligence leadership.
She wrote that she could not “in good conscience” remain in a demanding national security position while her husband faced a serious illness requiring close care and support.